Teacher Suspended for Telling Student "[then] go back to Mexico"

Interesting thread.

It just seems to me that many people (and administrators) would prefer if teachers were emotionless and without independent thought. "Follow the text and stick to the script".

And that is how passionate teachers eventually become apathetic robots. Be careful what you wish for.

Interesting thread.

It just seems to me that many people (and administrators) would prefer if teachers were emotionless and without independent thought. "Follow the text and stick to the script".

And that is how passionate teachers eventually become apathetic robots. Be careful what you wish for.

It's called professionalism. It's better than a biased teacher propangandizing in a classroom of students. When emotions take over, no one wins.

Remember the Tanya Dixon mess where she yelled that a person could be arrested for "slandering the president" and not to diss her Obama any longer?

Interesting thread.

Amen to that.

As I said in my earlier message, if a kid becomes disruptive in any way, send them to the principal's office.

Can't do that anymore. It'd be considered "racist".
Not if there is evidence to prove that the teacher had a legitimate reason to reprimand the student which is why I think that every classroom should have a surveillance camera and maybe even a device that picks up every sound made in the classroom as well.

God bless you two always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

Amen to that.

As I said in my earlier message, if a kid becomes disruptive in any way, send them to the principal's office.
Not if there is evidence to prove that the teacher had a legitimate reason to reprimand the student which is why I think that every classroom should have a surveillance camera and maybe even a device that picks up every sound made in the classroom as well.

God bless you two always!!! :) :) :)

Holly[/QUOTE]

A student isn't generally sent to the office without proper documentation of the offense. The parerwork descroibes the situation and what needs to be addressed. There's no box to check for race of the student.

I totally side with the teacher in this case.

Then you’re as wrong as the teacher.

ARLINGTON, Texas – A two-time “Teacher of the Year” in Arlington is now fighting to keep her job after allegedly telling a Hispanic student to “Go back to Mexico.” Barnett Junior High School math teacher Shirley Bunn has 24 years of teaching experience. But her career could end with what she called a moment of frustration. Bunn admitted she lost her temper on Sept. 30 while distributing Title 1 forms to her eighth grade students.

Teachers have department heads, vice principals, deans of students, etc; she should have simply referred the disruptive student accordingly if she was unable to accommodate his request.

As a professional it’s her responsibility to keep her cool and act in an appropriate manner.

Personally I have no idea why conservatives cheer on wholly unprofessional, disgusting and disrespectful behavior.

This was an adult..talking to a child. And a professional charged with taking care of children.

Interesting thread.

It's called professionalism. It's better than a biased teacher propangandizing in a classroom of students. When emotions take over, no one wins.

Remember the Tanya Dixon mess where she yelled that a person could be arrested for "slandering the president" and not to diss her Obama any longer?

Well there are many respected "professionals" who lose their cool from time to time and say something stupid. Teachers are no different than any other human beings, inc. parents. I'm sure this teacher's entire record was scrutinized.

And to compare an emotional statement (that probably everyone else was thinking) to TEACHING students that you can go to jail for dissing the president, are completely different scenarios. Tanya Dixon should be disciplined for factual misinformation, not her opinion.

ARLINGTON, Texas – A two-time “Teacher of the Year” in Arlington is now fighting to keep her job after allegedly telling a Hispanic student to “Go back to Mexico.” Barnett Junior High School math teacher Shirley Bunn has 24 years of teaching experience. But her career could end with what she called a moment of frustration. Bunn admitted she lost her temper on Sept. 30 while distributing Title 1 forms to her eighth grade students.

Teachers have department heads, vice principals, deans of students, etc; she should have simply referred the disruptive student accordingly if she was unable to accommodate his request.

As a professional it’s her responsibility to keep her cool and act in an appropriate manner.

Personally I have no idea why conservatives cheer on wholly unprofessional, disgusting and disrespectful behavior.

This was an adult..talking to a child. And a professional charged with taking care of children.

And she did exactly what I would have done in that situation....

An appropriate response to a kid that keeps interrupted the class with "I'm Mexican" is "Go back to Mexcio" anybody who says otherwise is into coddling children and ignoring the fact that the teacher has to teach the rest of the kids.

Interesting thread.

Well there are many respected "professionals" who lose their cool from time to time and say something stupid. Teachers are no different than any other human beings, inc. parents. I'm sure this teacher's entire record was scrutinized.

And to compare an emotional statement (that probably everyone else was thinking) to TEACHING students that you can go to jail for dissing the president, are completely different scenarios. Tanya Dixon should be disciplined for factual misinformation, not her opinion.

Um actually you can be arrested for "dissing" the president. When Clinton was President a woman in Florida was arrested for "dissing" him. I can remember the uproar from the right at the time...and the silence from the left....

I think the far right and the far left deserve each other, myself.

And she did exactly what I would have done in that situation....

An appropriate response to a kid that keeps interrupted the class with "I'm Mexican" is "Go back to Mexcio" anybody who says otherwise is into coddling children and ignoring the fact that the teacher has to teach the rest of the kids.

Telling a student who had no say about coming to the US is not appropriate. But let's call it what it was, an unfortunate remark that I'm sure she regrets.

if the teacher had cussed out or hit the child, I can see your point.

Otherwise, the teacher should be reprimanded, at most, and the students should be suspended and the parents fined.

if this sort of thing gets any worse there will be no teachers left.

all of them will be fired or no one will want to teach

Last edited:
A student isn't generally sent to the office without proper documentation of the offense. The parerwork descroibes the situation and what needs to be addressed. There's no box to check for race of the student.
Even if things are written down, a teacher could easily write anything down whether what they write down was true or not and if they really were a prejudice person against the student that they were sending to the principal office, how would that student be able to prove that they did nothing wrong without the evidence to back up their self defense which is another reason why I think that every classroom should have a surveillance camera and maybe even a device that picks up every sound made in the classroom as well. Students can be bad, yeah, but when a teacher goes over any line, they shouldn't get away with what they are guilty of either.

Telling a student who had no say about coming to the US is not appropriate.
I agree because I have been in that position. I've been in East Tennessee for 16 years now, but when I first moved here, I did not want to leave where I used to be, Northern Kentucky that is, because I had been there for most of my life at the time.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. How do I feel about being where I am now? I'd pick where I am now over where I used to be any day. :) :) :)

Forum List

Back