Teacher suspended for letting class vote out autistic boy

Some people believe that you can make someone "normal" with discipline. I was shocked when a friend of mine was complaining about my oldest son's behavior and said "If you spanked him more, wouldn't he act more normal?"

And this from a man with a sister with Tourettes.

Well, you know, your son only has Asperger's to annoy you, right? If you just made him understand how unacceptable his disorder is to everyone around him, he'd straighten up and control himself. Take a lesson from this brilliant kid-whisperer of a kindergarten teacher.

. . . I think I just dislocated my fingers with that much sarcasm.

Last edited:
Frankly, some of the ultra-liberal comments defending this disgusting piece of shit are notably non sequitur.

The oh, but she meant well line of reasoning is seemingly sufficient for the most abject of people. Hell, I bet a few folks would consider saying Hilter meant well. (Not that this woman is comparable to Hitler, but certainly the line of reasoning used to defend this **** could be used to defend people like Hitler.)

Seriously, as an "educator" she should know that public ridicule, bullying, and the like are detrimental to the development of children. Her apparent and appalling ignorance of this immutable fact is by itself a cause for termination.

How any serious person could even consider what she did to be "well-meaning" is absurd. For Christ sakes, she all but turned this kid into Ishmael. She effectively detached this child from his peers, but did so in the most beastly manner: allowing his peers - who, quite obviously, were coerced by the teacher when she suggested a vote - to detach him.

Fuck her. She is a disgrace to this country, to teachers, and to all people. Don't like my opinion? Q.E.D. it some more. I don't give a damn.

I don't think all liberals think what she did was no big deal... I don't....but then again I keep telling everyone I'm not really a Liberal.... :eusa_whistle:

and :clap2: to the rest of your post

Let's look at Tiger's little article and see if it really explains it all like he seems to think, shall we?

>>Morningside Elementary kindergarten teacher Wendy Portillo told police she wanted 5-year-old Alex Barton to hear how his behavior was affecting his classmates, according to a report released Thursday by the Port St. Lucie Police Department.<<

Oh, okay. I hadn't realized that she did this because she thought she was HELPING him. That makes it okay, just like it's okay for people to beat their children if they think they're just doing it for discipline.

>>After students shared their view, she had them vote, but she said the vote was only to keep him out of class for the day, not for good.<<

I see. So she only emotionally abused him and deprived him of his court-protected civil right to a public education for one day, not forever. That's all right, then.

>>“Portillo said she did this as she felt that if (Alex) heard from his classmates how his behavior affected them that it would make a bigger difference to him, rather than just hearing it from adults,” according to the report.<<

Right, because as I told Sheila, children only display Asperger's Syndrome to get attention. If you let them know how much you dislike it, they shape right up and control themselves.

>>Alex’s mother, Melissa Barton, filed a complaint with Morningside’s school resource officer about the May 21 incident, saying her child told her he had been voted out of class at the encouragement of the teacher.

But Barton said there are inaccuracies in the report. She said she gave the school resource officer a written statement, and the officer’s report doesn’t match that statement.

The state attorney’s office and Port St. Lucie police department concluded the matter did not meet the criteria for emotional child abuse, so no criminal charges will be filed.

Alex was in the process of being tested for Asperger’s Syndrome, a type of high-functioning autism, at the time of the incident. Barton said a private psychologist officially diagnosed him Tuesday with an autism-spectrum disorder and Attention Deficit Disorder.

Portillo and children in the class said Alex was pushing a table up with his feet while he was under the table. She got the school resource officer to remove Alex from the classroom. It was the second discipline referral for Alex that day, the report said.<<

Well, damn. Pushing the table up with his feet? It's a wonder she didn't take him out on the playground and let the other kids throw rocks at him. I hadn't realized what a saint with a textbook this chick was, putting up with such intolerable behavior.

>> Portillo told the officer after he left the classroom with Alex, she talked with the other children.

“Portillo said she explained to them that the students in class were all her priority and she would protect them like a ‘bear defending her cubs,’” the report said.<<

As long as they're normal and blend right in. I'm racking my brains for an occasion when a mother bear defended her cub by holding it up to abuse and ridicule. Anyone?

>>When Alex returned to the class, Portillo said she and the class were not ready for him to return.<<

Because teaching is ALL about when you're "ready" to do your job and deal with those irritating little snots.

>>Portillo told the officer she asked Alex to join her at the front of the class.

“She said she then asked him to listen to what the children didn’t like about the things he did, and she asked him how it made him feel,” the report said. “She said at this time, ‘We polled the class’ to see how his peers felt about his return at that time.”

Alex was voted out by a 14 to 2 margin.

Alex told the officer Portillo called his classmates’ names out and they said “disgusting” things about him.

“I asked (Alex) what the students said, and he said the students said he eats paper, picks boogers and eats them on top of the table and bites his shoelaces,” the report said. “He told me Mrs. Portillo said, ‘I hate you right now. I don’t like you today.’”

The officer asked Alex how the incident made him feel.

“He said it made him feel sad,” according to the report.<<

Geez. Y'think?

>>Alex also told the officer Portillo scratched him, stepped on his shoelaces, grabbed his leg and pulled his shirt collar, but the report said Portillo and other children in the class refuted those allegations.

According to the report, Barton told the officer when she talked with Portillo after the incident, Portillo “blocked the door for about five minutes to prevent me from leaving the classroom with my child, who was visibly shaken by the abuse.” Alex hasn’t been back at Morningside since the incident.<<

First she can't wait to vote the kid off the island, then she wants to hassle the parent taking him home. I admire this mother's restraint, because I can promise you, this bitch would have been afraid to get within arm's length of me.

>>Morningside parent Terrence Moore, whose daughter Jessica is in the kindergarten class and was interviewed by the resource officer, said Portillo is an exceptional teacher.

“She’s top notch. She’s a very caring teacher,” Moore said.<<

As long as your kid fits into the same cookie mold as everyone else.

>>Moore said Portillo is big on making sure the children use their manners and she lets the children know what she expects of them.<<

To be completely normal and just like everyone else.

>>“In (Jessica’s) mind, (the vote) was a real non-event,” Moore said.<<

Of course it was. I'm sure the stoning of Saint Stephen was no big deal to to the people holding the rocks, too. I wonder how much of a "non-event" this would have been to little Jessica if SHE had been the one in front of the room.

>>Moore said his daughter told him Alex was disruptive in class, and she voted for him not to return to the class at that time.<<

Gosh, I wish MY kid had been there for this Teacher of the Year candidate could have taught him to isolate and ridicule the handicapped. That's EXACTLY the kind of character development I look for.

>>Jessica became upset when Portillo was reassigned to school district offices while school officials investigate the incident, Moore said.

“When she found out that was happening, she started to cry,” Moore said. “She loves Mrs. Portillo.”<<

And little Jessica's tears are MUCH more important than Alex's, because she's normal.

But it's such a great life lesson to teach the little crumb-crunchers: if someone is different from you, you should fear them and ridicule them and hurt them.

If I may say so, though, I would think a black woman would have a different perspective on tolerance and compassion.

<<<
There ya go, being racist again.:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back