Teacher Suspended For Calling it Like it is?

There does seem a certain amount of entitlement kids feel they have these days. If you read the piece, she says that is was a personal blog that she did not spruik to the public...

Truth hurts.
She didn't name anyone. Besides..what happened to freedom of speech?

I can't remember the last time i could find a kid to mow the lawn for me. They either wanted 50 bucks or didn't want ANY money at all because they were too busy playing their nintendo. So..I did it myself.

There does seem a certain amount of entitlement kids feel they have these days. If you read the piece, she says that is was a personal blog that she did not spruik to the public...

isn't the point of a blog for it to be read by others, though? someone in power saw it.

it sounds like it was pretty vulgar. plus, how do you go back and teach kids after you've said terrible things about them?

do kids feel entitlement? i think there is an element of parents not reinforcing respect for authority figures. and i think kids in general are more demanding. but i also think a teacher like her doesn't exactly foster ambition in her students.

Truth hurts.
She didn't name anyone. Besides..what happened to freedom of speech?

I can't remember the last time i could find a kid to mow the lawn for me. They either wanted 50 bucks or didn't want ANY money at all because they were too busy playing their nintendo. So..I did it myself.

there isn't any freedom of speech really when it's in regard to your work.

isn't the point of a blog for it to be read by others, though? someone in power saw it.

it sounds like it was pretty vulgar. plus, how do you go back and teach kids after you've said terrible things about them?

do kids feel entitlement? i think there is an element of parents not reinforcing respect for authority figures. and i think kids in general are more demanding. but i also think a teacher like her doesn't exactly foster ambition in her students.

According to the story it was a blog for her family, a student saw it and told the authorities. Maybe she should have had a subscribe button. That aside I actually agree with her premise about a lot of kids...

Oh please, an English teacher.

If she was a math or science teacher I could back her.

psik

she called her young charges ''disengaged, lazy whiners'' is causing a sensation by daring to ask: why are students unmotivated - and what's wrong with calling them out?

She wasn't asking "why aren't they motivated?" She was calling them names. An unprofessional and hurtful approach. Had she simply said that her students seemed to be unmotivated or unwilling to do the work, I would be behind her 100%. Instead, she whined about her "whiners" and got called on it

She should be suspended and, absent any kind of training for her to motivate those students, she should be fired for failing to do her job.

Calling it like it is...includes telling the truth about yourself. She's obviously unprepared for her job.

I had the best English teacher in High School. She didn't put up with anything. The homework was demanding and the tests were tough. Nobody got out of line.

I think this is a case of "if the shoe fits"..

It would be similar to me saying "I post at a message board and most of them are fucktards". Someone sees me say that and bring it back here that I called everyone here a name. What if I were talking about a different board? Nobody knows, but the shoe fit so some decided to put it on and it wasn't even their shoe.

She is a teacher. Not their parent. Teachers have enough on their plate and they don't get damn near enough money for what they do. The student that found it (makes ya wonder how that student knew where to look) took the shoes and had everyone put them on. And most fit. So there ya are.

she called her young charges ''disengaged, lazy whiners'' is causing a sensation by daring to ask: why are students unmotivated - and what's wrong with calling them out?

She wasn't asking "why aren't they motivated?" She was calling them names. An unprofessional and hurtful approach. Had she simply said that her students seemed to be unmotivated or unwilling to do the work, I would be behind her 100%. Instead, she whined about her "whiners" and got called on it

She should be suspended and, absent any kind of training for her to motivate those students, she should be fired for failing to do her job.

Calling it like it is...includes telling the truth about yourself. She's obviously unprepared for her job.

I disagree. I think she had a right to say it, especially if she did not use her full name in her blog, identify the school or any students...

Forum List

Back