Teacher of the year

That first comment struck me. No, schools do NOT "take very seriously the safety of the students in classrooms".

This I agree with wholeheartedly...….IF the district took the safety of students seriously, then they never would have hired her in the first place with 2 previous violations/loss of credentials.

The districts/schools are so afraid of offending or doing the wrong thing or, or, or...….they've become relaxed daycare centers that provide adult supervision while kids do what they want. Sorry, but I don't see it as an Education.

What is your solution?

Not a popular one I'm sure, but to go back quite a few years ago when schools did teach usable skills, teachers spent the time going over a subject a few times until the kids understood it and those who didn't 'make the grade' be held back another year so they could. Still offer usable elective courses in high school that were job related.....like automotive, shop, home-ec, banking/office, etc

When kids got out of control, they were sent to the Principals office to be dealt with....either calling parents or cops or sat in detention/study hall depending on level of offense.

Let me take this one step at a time:

1. Everyone has a different idea on what "usable skills" are, and there's no winning that battle collectively it seems. Some would say usable is only the things a child will use as an adult. Others would say the child should get, you know, an actual education. ???

2. Teachers do this now. I don't know what makes you think we don't. We go over and go over information.

3. Retention is not backed up by data. In short, it doesn't work.

4. I agree with you on classes that you mention, and it seems schools are agreeing too.

5. To turn the tide on our awful discipline problems in schools, we need to turn the entire culture. And how are you going to do that? No one trusts anyone. No one wants to trusts the teachers/schools to discipline THEIR child. Surely THEIR child did not do what you said; or THEIR child is not being challenged/understood/listened to. So how do you turn the entire culture around on this?

That first comment struck me. No, schools do NOT "take very seriously the safety of the students in classrooms".

This I agree with wholeheartedly...….IF the district took the safety of students seriously, then they never would have hired her in the first place with 2 previous violations/loss of credentials.

The districts/schools are so afraid of offending or doing the wrong thing or, or, or...….they've become relaxed daycare centers that provide adult supervision while kids do what they want. Sorry, but I don't see it as an Education.

What is your solution?

Not a popular one I'm sure, but to go back quite a few years ago when schools did teach usable skills, teachers spent the time going over a subject a few times until the kids understood it and those who didn't 'make the grade' be held back another year so they could. Still offer usable elective courses in high school that were job related.....like automotive, shop, home-ec, banking/office, etc

When kids got out of control, they were sent to the Principals office to be dealt with....either calling parents or cops or sat in detention/study hall depending on level of offense.

1. Everyone has a different idea on what "usable skills" are, and there's no winning that battle collectively it seems. Some would say usable is only the things a child will use as an adult. Others would say the child should get, you know, an actual education. ???

2. Teachers do this now. I don't know what makes you think we don't. We go over and go over information.

4. I agree with you on classes that you mention, and it seems schools are agreeing too.

5. To turn the tide on our awful discipline problems in schools, we need to turn the entire culture. And how are you going to do that? No one trusts anyone. No one wants to trusts the teachers/schools to discipline THEIR child. Surely THEIR child did not do what you said; or THEIR child is not being challenged/understood/listened to. So how do you turn the entire culture around on this?
Problem today is there are too many tests, schools get rated on how they do on the tests and teachers teach to the test

What is your solution?

Problem today is there are too many tests, schools get rated on how they do on the tests and teachers teach to the test

That is one big problem, yes. It doesn't really rate effective teaching and learning, and drives really good teachers from the classroom.

What is your solution?

That is one big problem, yes. It doesn't really rate effective teaching and learning, and drives really good teachers from the classroom.
Causes a dumbing down of the students
If 70 is passing, they only care how many students they can get over 70, not students who get 99

Easy now & retract those claws.....I'm not trying to argue with you but to discuss this. You are commenting from a teachers standpoint and I do respect that while I'm commenting from a mothers standpoint and from my own experience when I was in school many moons ago.

I would think 'usable' would pertain to what the child would use as an adult and meant things like the 3R's..... old school math where 2+2 still equals 4 and having to do long division, not common core. Writing to include actual hand writing, penmanship, cursive? along with keyboarding/computer work with more emphasis on word spelling & grammar not the texting shorthand most if not all kids use now...…. I'm not sure how that isn't 'an actual education'

Maybe in your district, but in my experience with my kids, not so much. The teachers would often complain of having too much subject matter with little time to spend on it.

Neither does pushing a kid thru grade levels as they continually fall further behind and only dealt with during senior year to be told they don't have the credits to graduate with their peers and would be better off going to an alternative school. Yes, schools are being graded by the feds and their ratings determines their budget allotments. So a higher rated school doesn't want lower performing students because it effects their ratings/budget. This is so wrong on so many levels.

Make everyone accountable for their actions for starters...….something society has been slipping

Easy now & retract those claws.....I'm not trying to argue with you but to discuss this. You are commenting from a teachers standpoint and I do respect that while I'm commenting from a mothers standpoint and from my own experience when I was in school many moons ago.

I would think 'usable' would pertain to what the child would use as an adult and meant things like the 3R's..... old school math where 2+2 still equals 4 and having to do long division, not common core. Writing to include actual hand writing, penmanship, cursive? along with keyboarding/computer work with more emphasis on word spelling & grammar not the texting shorthand most if not all kids use now...…. I'm not sure how that isn't 'an actual education'

Maybe in your district, but in my experience with my kids, not so much. The teachers would often complain of having too much subject matter with little time to spend on it.

Neither does pushing a kid thru grade levels as they continually fall further behind and only dealt with during senior year to be told they don't have the credits to graduate with their peers and would be better off going to an alternative school. Yes, schools are being graded by the feds and their ratings determines their budget allotments. So a higher rated school doesn't want lower performing students because it effects their ratings/budget. This is so wrong on so many levels.

Make everyone accountable for their actions for starters...….something society has been slipping

Right--I am in schools now; you are not, and maybe your children are gone too.

But I just wanted to touch on a couple of things you said. You mentioned usable content. Then I would really question your mention of cursive writing. How usable is this really in the 21st century--or is it just something to be taught because it always has been taught? No one writes longhand anymore in such amounts that printing will not do. In the few professions where reading and writing cursive is necessary, this can be taught as part of that coursework. Again, it seems to me you want to cite "usable" knowledge but also want to cling to that which is no longer usable.

But I just wanted to touch on a couple of things you said. You mentioned usable content. Then I would really question your mention of cursive writing. How usable is this really in the 21st century--or is it just something to be taught because it always has been taught? No one writes longhand anymore in such amounts that printing will not do. In the few professions where reading and writing cursive is necessary, this can be taught as part of that coursework. Again, it seems to me you want to cite "usable" knowledge but also want to cling to that which is no longer usable.

And you cite what I questioned. Cursive doesn't really matter but legible handwriting does...….. can kids read and write English, along with spelling and basic math well enough to keep a business up & running when electronics are not available at the moment and later when it is, to transfer that info correctly from pen & paper to a database?

The overall isn't just on schools/teachers/etc, but at home as well. It is a group effort to work together for the 'education' of the child and in all too many cases, both groups are failing

I gave up writing in cursive over 50 years ago. I found my block printing was more legible and teachers seemed to like it better
Since then, I only use it for my signature which is semi legible

Students today have no use for it. Typing is a better skill

What is your solution?

...when schools did teach usable skills....

Such as...?

What is your solution?

...teachers spent the time going over a subject a few times until the kids understood it...

Who told you they don’t now?

...when schools did teach usable skills....

Such as...?

well I guess you would have had to read & copied the whole comment to understand that...…..:poke:

Looked like she had a mental breakdown

What is your solution?

...teachers spent the time going over a subject a few times until the kids understood it...

Who told you they don’t now?

My own kids and their teachers.

IDK, maybe you two work in districts that don't just keep shoveling info into the kids without spending much time making sure they understand the concept enough to do adequate work and pass quizzes & tests......but here, not so much. This district also has additional requirements for graduation than the State requires. Is that normal across the nation with other districts?? IDK.

I do know that not only my own kids but several others were having trouble and instead of trying to help the kids, the schools would just keep passing them on to the next grades.....until Junior/Senior year then tell the families the kids can't continue in that school but have to transfer out to either an alternative school or to another district.
Not that they admitted it, but this push out was because this district is rated in the higher category (7-10) and it's not because of being such a great school IMO, but because anyone that doesn't have acceptable scores is pushed out...….so it doesn't show up on the school or districts 'report card' as drop outs or failures or count against their graduation rates. And as long as they keep doing it this way, they qualify for extra federal & state funding.....which to me is a lie.

The teacher in the OP? Yes, but should also be disciplined and/or jailed and/or fined for such behavior

She did not appear rational in the video
Something was wrong with her

She needs a Dr examination & psychological evaluation...…...the lady's got problems of some sort and I don't understand why the district hired her when she had 2 previous 'violations' or was fired or disciplined. I would think that would disqualify her for having a job with children period

The teacher in the OP? Yes, but should also be disciplined and/or jailed and/or fined for such behavior

She did not appear rational in the video
Something was wrong with her

She needs a Dr examination & psychological evaluation...…...the lady's got problems of some sort and I don't understand why the district hired her when she had 2 previous 'violations' or was fired or disciplined. I would think that would disqualify her for having a job with children period
They didn’t say what the violations were
Could be anything

But the woman needs help

Forum List

Back