Teacher In Trouble For Ripping Bible

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Burley High's Karen Christenson said she was trying to illustrate a point about censorship, as her sophomore students read Ray Bradbury's novel "Fahrenheit 451," which is set in a future society that commands all literature be burned.

Principal Jeff Harrah said Christenson isn't a Bible hater. He said she tore up the Bible in an effort to get her students to think about how it feels to have something they consider sacred destroyed.

He added the idea behind the controversial lesson was a good one, but with a bad result.

Christenson was disciplined but officials would not say what action was being taken against her.

Harrah called Christenson a "great teacher."

What the hell are ppl pissed off about? I doubt anyone who actually reads the Bible has a reason to get pissed off. But ya know what I suspect? Had the teacher ripped up part of the Quran there'd be riots in the streets alreday.

(sigh)...life in America. :)

I just read this article about an hour ago myself. I'm one of those people who get so extremely pissed with people wanting to take the "Under God" out of the Pledge and things of that nature, however, this didnt strike me as in the same ballpark. I get more of the impression that the teacher did this more for "shock value" about what we will be losing should censorship on all levels continue... from banning certain books for words contained therein or religious bans, etc.

I'm more inclined to take the side of "who cares" when it comes to this situation.

:dunno:

Okay, I'm one of those that is bothered by this. The Bible is a very sacred book. To rip it up like that is showing total disrespect. I understand where the teacher is coming from, I do understand her reasoning, but I don't like it. It may have hit some kids, maybe they learned something by it, but I just see some kids looking at that as "Oh, I didn't think you could do that, but my teacher did so it must not be that bad". You know. Religion is being pushed out of our Country so fast it's scary, and if just one kids thinks what I put above, then she's done a disservice to this country! She may not can teach our children about Religion, but sure as hell don't teach them that they can disrespect the Bible!!

UsaPride said:
Okay, I'm one of those that is bothered by this. The Bible is a very sacred book. To rip it up like that is showing total disrespect. I understand where the teacher is coming from, I do understand her reasoning, but I don't like it. It may have hit some kids, maybe they learned something by it, but I just see some kids looking at that as "Oh, I didn't think you could do that, but my teacher did so it must not be that bad". You know. Religion is being pushed out of our Country so fast it's scary, and if just one kids thinks what I put above, then she's done a disservice to this country! She may not can teach our children about Religion, but sure as hell don't teach them that they can disrespect the Bible!!

The paper the Bible is printed on - the ink used, the leather for binding...it's 'not' sacred. The message of the books contained in the Bible is absolute truth; it's sacred, and holy and free. It offers a gift countless billions are turning their back on.

But the 'physical' book itself? Worthless. If the teacher was protesting Christianity, that's one thing. If the teacher was trying to invalidate the faith, that's one thing.

Context.

-=d=- said:
If the teacher was protesting Christianity, that's one thing. If the teacher was trying to invalidate the faith, that's one thing.

Thanks Darrin. Shitty day here on a new job. You said in two sentences what I wanted to, but didnt, say in a paragraph.

-=d=- said:
The paper the Bible is printed on - the ink used, the leather for binding...it's 'not' sacred. The message of the books contained in the Bible is absolute truth; it's sacred, and holy and free. It offers a gift countless billions are turning their back on.

But the 'physical' book itself? Worthless. If the teacher was protesting Christianity, that's one thing. If the teacher was trying to invalidate the faith, that's one thing.

Context.
I understand what you're saying, Darin. But, I still feel it's wrong. The Bible is the Word of God. The Word of God is printed on that worthless paper with that worthless ink binded by that worthless leather which therefore makes them no more worthless. That's just my feelings though. I don't think she should hang for it, that's between her and God, but I still think it's wrong. And, now that I am a parent, if either of my children came home and told me that their teacher ripped up a Bible, I don't care what the meaning behind it was, I'd rip them out of her class! Again, this is just how I feel about it. Everyone's free to have their own opinions on the subject and I wouldn't think just because you, or anyone else, thinks it's no big deal, that you're gonna burn in hell, you know, LOL!

-=d=- said:
Don't feel you have to apologize for how you feel. :)

:D
Oh, I don't, just explaining. :)

she tore up the Bible in an effort to get her students to think about how it feels to have something they consider sacred destroyed.
So even she felt it was something sacred, yet still ripped it. That bothers me even more.

-=d=- said:

Context.

D your analogy is a bit off. The cloth and thread which go into the making of the United States Flag is not "sacred" either. But when cloth and thread combine to make that flag, the end result is more than cloth and thread. It is the sacred symbol of our country.

Likewise the Bible is just another bit of paper and ink. But it represents the word of God, the history of the Christian and Jewish world and is therefore a sacred symbol to many people.

Like burning the flag, the teacher had a right to destroy a bible and I do not dispute that. But the teacher should have had the judgement to refrain from desecrating a symbol of the faith of many of her students. That was irresponsible.

And DK, I will not argue that the teacher had no right under the Constitution to act as she did, but we, as taxpayers, have absolutely no obligation to pay her to do so on our time. If she wants to rip up bibles on her own time, more power to her, but when a teacher is in a classrom he/she is employed by the taxpayer and the taxpayers have a right to demand some standards and some accountability. If she wanted to destroy a book to make a point, why didn't she just rip up a copy of Moby Dick, or Huckleberry Finn?

Merlin1047 said:
D your analogy is a bit off. The cloth and thread which go into the making of the United States Flag is not "sacred" either. But when cloth and thread combine to make that flag, the end result is more than cloth and thread. It is the sacred symbol of our country.

Likewise the Bible is just another bit of paper and ink. But it represents the word of God, the history of the Christian and Jewish world and is therefore a sacred symbol to many people.

Like burning the flag, the teacher had a right to destroy a bible and I do not dispute that. But the teacher should have had the judgement to refrain from desecrating a symbol of the faith of many of her students. That was irresponsible.

And DK, I will not argue that the teacher had no right under the Constitution to act as she did, but we, as taxpayers, have absolutely no obligation to pay her to do so on our time. If she wants to rip up bibles on her own time, more power to her, but when a teacher is in a classrom he/she is employed by the taxpayer and the taxpayers have a right to demand some standards and some accountability. If she wanted to destroy a book to make a point, why didn't she just rip up a copy of Moby Dick, or Huckleberry Finn?

I believe Christ and others are pretty clear about Christians NOT holding sacred or honoured any physical item...The point where people 'worship' the Bible is wrong...much like people praying to an image of Christ.

Even put together, a bible is not 'The' Bible. It's 'a' Bible. It's a translation from ancient manuscripts...not the manuscripts themselves. A flag, on the otherhand IS 'The Flag'...it's not a picture or a reprint of a flag. Either way, The Flag doesn't mean much; not near as much as the ideals, the vision, the hope the flag stands for.

Again - if this lady was using the classroom to berate Christianity (or any other belief) fire her. Since it doesn't appear to be the case, it's no big deal.

In my, uh, book. :)

-=d=- said:
I believe Christ and others are pretty clear about Christians NOT holding sacred or honoured any physical item...The point where people 'worship' the Bible is wrong...much like people praying to an image of Christ.

Even put together, a bible is not 'The' Bible. It's 'a' Bible. It's a translation from ancient manuscripts...not the manuscripts themselves. A flag, on the otherhand IS 'The Flag'...it's not a picture or a reprint of a flag. Either way, The Flag doesn't mean much; not near as much as the ideals, the vision, the hope the flag stands for.

Again - if this lady was using the classroom to berate Christianity (or any other belief) fire her. Since it doesn't appear to be the case, it's no big deal.

In my, uh, book. :)

Lol - I did pick up on that last sentence. Good one. Le'ts just say that while I see your point, I do not entirely agree. I believe that we should try to show respect for some things - that doesn't mean we "worship" them. The flag and the bible are pretty high up there on my list of objects which should be treated with respect.

And while I'm not saying the teacher needs to be disciplined, I do believe that the school administration should make it clear that this kind of "teaching" is not appropriate. Especially when there are other equally effective means of making the point.

Merlin1047 said:
Lol - I did pick up on that last sentence. Good one. Le'ts just say that while I see your point, I do not entirely agree. I believe that we should try to show respect for some things - that doesn't mean we "worship" them. The flag and the bible are pretty high up there on my list of objects which should be treated with respect.

And while I'm not saying the teacher needs to be disciplined, I do believe that the school administration should make it clear that this kind of "teaching" is not appropriate. Especially when there are other equally effective means of making the point.
I totally agree!

I think it was her message that was important. People always ignore the message and get bogged down in semantics and political correctness. Im a christian and i have no problem with what was done because i know that the power of the bible lies in its words not in its physical being.

insein said:
I think it was her message that was important. People always ignore the message and get bogged down in semantics and political correctness. Im a christian and i have no problem with what was done because i know that the power of the bible lies in its words not in its physical being.

No semantics. I have trouble with people burning the flag, I have trouble with crucifixes in urine, and I have trouble with people tearing up the bible. There are some objects which represent things or concepts greater than the object itself. The flag represents the nation and what it stands for. A crucifix represents the suffering and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. A bible represents the word of God.

It is not the object itself which deserves respect or reverence, but the thing it represents. However, since the two are so closely tied, one cannot show disrespect for the object without also disparaging the thing it represents.

I realize that others are entitled to different opinions. I realize that I have to be tolerant of those. But I don't have to like it and I don't have to pretend that I agree with it. And the people who objected to this teacher's actions have every right to voice their displeasure.

Merlin1047 said:
No semantics. I have trouble with people burning the flag, I have trouble with crucifixes in urine, and I have trouble with people tearing up the bible. There are some objects which represent things or concepts greater than the object itself. The flag represents the nation and what it stands for. A crucifix represents the suffering and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. A bible represents the word of God.

It is not the object itself which deserves respect or reverence, but the thing it represents. However, since the two are so closely tied, one cannot show disrespect for the object without also disparaging the thing it represents.

I realize that others are entitled to different opinions. I realize that I have to be tolerant of those. But I don't have to like it and I don't have to pretend that I agree with it. And the people who objected to this teacher's actions have every right to voice their displeasure.

Exactly, semantics are used way too often by liberals to blow smoke up everybody's ass. And it's running rampant in our schools.
What do you think the kids are really going to remember: some intended lesson or the fact that the teacher just blithely burned the Bible in front of them? I wonder how many went home and copied the "lesson".

I'd like to see the principle burn up the teachers paycheck for the month.
Just as a "lesson". :flameth:

The point, had you paid any attention whatsoever to the story, that it is wrong to tear up ANY book for political or moral reasons unless it is your book and YOU are choosing to do so. If this teacher had torn up a copy of the Qu'ran, the Torah, the Lotus Sutra, or any other "holy text" none of you would be saying a damn thing because the press wouldn't have reported it.

acludem

I think that many of you have missed the teachers point entirely.

The message she was trying to get across was why destroying a book is important. She was teaching a novel about the destruction of literature, of ideas...of freedom of thought.

In our world where information is so readily available via books, magazines, newspapers, television, and the internet...it can be damn near impossible for the youth today to comprehend the absolute destruction of an idea.

Burn a copy of "Alice in Wonderland..." The kids could think, "So what? I can buy 100 copies of it on Amazon.com...I can watch the movie...I can go online and read 800 book reviews about it..."

Burn, or tear up a copy of the Bible...and the kids sit forward...they rub the sleepy apathy from their eyes and say:

"hey...wait a minute...you can do that...hey, that bothers me deep inside in a way I might find difficult to talk about...but it sure as hell makes an impression...I DON'T WANT YOU TO DESTROY THAT BOOK....I DON'T WANT YOU TO MESS WITH THAT BOOK BECAUSE THE IDEAS IN IT ARE IMPORTANT TO ME."

THAT was the message she was trying to get across...that destroying a book IS IMPORTANT and can be a horrific, emotional thing.

Her point is proven perfectly by your reactions on this site....but that was her point...she woke her kids up....she bothered them...she took them out of their comfort zone...SHE TAUGHT THEM!!!!

"Farenheit 451" is a book that students should read...should absorb...but in today's society it is hard to get kids to approach an older book with enthusiasm (I'm a teacher, I know). What this teacher did was present her students with a very visceral reason to read the book...and a framework for how to think about the ideas within it. "Were you bothered by my destruction of the Bible??? If so, then examine how some of the characters might feel...examine why the destruction of literature matters...."

The fact that you are upset proves that the book is still a vital piece of literature...the fact that she chose to wake her students up in an interesting and controversial way is a sign that she is a great teacher. Its a shame she has to be put through the ringer like this.

lilcountriegal said:
I just read this article about an hour ago myself. I'm one of those people who get so extremely pissed with people wanting to take the "Under God" out of the Pledge and things of that nature, however, this didnt strike me as in the same ballpark. I get more of the impression that the teacher did this more for "shock value" about what we will be losing should censorship on all levels continue... from banning certain books for words contained therein or religious bans, etc.

I'm more inclined to take the side of "who cares" when it comes to this situation.

:dunno:

"under god" was not in the pledge to start with, and it should not be there now. This implies that Athiests cannot be good Americans, and violates the seperation between religion and the state that is a principal of our nation.

The pledge should be returned to its original form, "under god" should be removed.

Wade.

UsaPride said:
I understand what you're saying, Darin. But, I still feel it's wrong. The Bible is the Word of God. The Word of God is printed on that worthless paper with that worthless ink binded by that worthless leather which therefore makes them no more worthless. That's just my feelings though. I don't think she should hang for it, that's between her and God, but I still think it's wrong. And, now that I am a parent, if either of my children came home and told me that their teacher ripped up a Bible, I don't care what the meaning behind it was, I'd rip them out of her class! Again, this is just how I feel about it. Everyone's free to have their own opinions on the subject and I wouldn't think just because you, or anyone else, thinks it's no big deal, that you're gonna burn in hell, you know, LOL!

The Bible is the "word of God" to you. To me, it's just a bunch of stories designed to teach ethics (rather badly) to people too ignorant to understand principals or philosophy.

I do not advocate angering people with such actions unless they have a good purpose, but I think the teacher in this case did have such a purpose - to elicit an emotional response that would reach a broad audience. What other book could have been destroyed that would have elicited the desired reaction in such a wide segment of the class?

You are just trying to force your sensibilities upon others.

Wade.

Forum List

Back