Teacher In Trouble For Ripping Bible

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by dmp, Sep 13, 2004.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

What the hell are ppl pissed off about? I doubt anyone who actually reads the Bible has a reason to get pissed off. But ya know what I suspect? Had the teacher ripped up part of the Quran there'd be riots in the streets alreday.

(sigh)...life in America. :)

2. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I just read this article about an hour ago myself. I'm one of those people who get so extremely pissed with people wanting to take the "Under God" out of the Pledge and things of that nature, however, this didnt strike me as in the same ballpark. I get more of the impression that the teacher did this more for "shock value" about what we will be losing should censorship on all levels continue... from banning certain books for words contained therein or religious bans, etc.

I'm more inclined to take the side of "who cares" when it comes to this situation.

:dunno:

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    actually, her point should hit home solidly with everyone. look whats happening to her right now because of it.

4. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Okay, I'm one of those that is bothered by this. The Bible is a very sacred book. To rip it up like that is showing total disrespect. I understand where the teacher is coming from, I do understand her reasoning, but I don't like it. It may have hit some kids, maybe they learned something by it, but I just see some kids looking at that as "Oh, I didn't think you could do that, but my teacher did so it must not be that bad". You know. Religion is being pushed out of our Country so fast it's scary, and if just one kids thinks what I put above, then she's done a disservice to this country! She may not can teach our children about Religion, but sure as hell don't teach them that they can disrespect the Bible!!

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

The paper the Bible is printed on - the ink used, the leather for binding...it's 'not' sacred. The message of the books contained in the Bible is absolute truth; it's sacred, and holy and free. It offers a gift countless billions are turning their back on.

But the 'physical' book itself? Worthless. If the teacher was protesting Christianity, that's one thing. If the teacher was trying to invalidate the faith, that's one thing.

Context.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks Darrin. Shitty day here on a new job. You said in two sentences what I wanted to, but didnt, say in a paragraph.

7. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I understand what you're saying, Darin. But, I still feel it's wrong. The Bible is the Word of God. The Word of God is printed on that worthless paper with that worthless ink binded by that worthless leather which therefore makes them no more worthless. That's just my feelings though. I don't think she should hang for it, that's between her and God, but I still think it's wrong. And, now that I am a parent, if either of my children came home and told me that their teacher ripped up a Bible, I don't care what the meaning behind it was, I'd rip them out of her class! Again, this is just how I feel about it. Everyone's free to have their own opinions on the subject and I wouldn't think just because you, or anyone else, thinks it's no big deal, that you're gonna burn in hell, you know, LOL!

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Don't feel you have to apologize for how you feel. :)

:D

9. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh, I don't, just explaining. :)

So even she felt it was something sacred, yet still ripped it. That bothers me even more.

10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    D your analogy is a bit off. The cloth and thread which go into the making of the United States Flag is not "sacred" either. But when cloth and thread combine to make that flag, the end result is more than cloth and thread. It is the sacred symbol of our country.

Likewise the Bible is just another bit of paper and ink. But it represents the word of God, the history of the Christian and Jewish world and is therefore a sacred symbol to many people.

Like burning the flag, the teacher had a right to destroy a bible and I do not dispute that. But the teacher should have had the judgement to refrain from desecrating a symbol of the faith of many of her students. That was irresponsible.

And DK, I will not argue that the teacher had no right under the Constitution to act as she did, but we, as taxpayers, have absolutely no obligation to pay her to do so on our time. If she wants to rip up bibles on her own time, more power to her, but when a teacher is in a classrom he/she is employed by the taxpayer and the taxpayers have a right to demand some standards and some accountability. If she wanted to destroy a book to make a point, why didn't she just rip up a copy of Moby Dick, or Huckleberry Finn?