Teacher fired for refusing to give students a score of 50% on assignments they failed to turn in.

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

What a hot flaming mess of a district. They can't even have a uniform policy on GRADING and have in writing two different policies--one says you CAN give a zero and the other in the school handbook says no grades less than 50% (which is ridiculous).

That's just a mess. I feel bad for the teacher, but maybe she can get a job in a better district.
I bet a private school scoops her up after hearing about this. Good on her! Both she, and her students deserve better than this school offers.

A lot of private school are worse.

Honestly she's better off changing professions.

A lot of teachers (like myself) are just leaving the profession all together. It's not worth the stress anymore.

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

What a hot flaming mess of a district. They can't even have a uniform policy on GRADING and have in writing two different policies--one says you CAN give a zero and the other in the school handbook says no grades less than 50% (which is ridiculous).

That's just a mess. I feel bad for the teacher, but maybe she can get a job in a better district.
I bet a private school scoops her up after hearing about this. Good on her! Both she, and her students deserve better than this school offers.

A lot of teachers (like myself) are just leaving the profession all together. It's not worth the stress anymore.
Thank gawd because you DAMN SURE shouldnt teach children. JS

9kLfeId.jpg

Some private schools are better. Some are not.
Buyer beware. I’d wager to say that the large majority of private schools offer a much better education than the large majority of government schools. And when it comes to private schools; the parent, as a consumer gets to choose. So a little research is all it takes. Home schooled children fare much better on average, than the average government school. Not to mention it enrages the left to no end when they are denied access to other people’s children.
Let's not forget that private schools also get to choose their students. Public schools have no such power.

This is a point people fail to realize. It's not that private schools necessarily provide better education, but they tend to have a better grade of students and they weed out the low performing and bad kids.

Public schools have the burden of having to accept all kids regardless of grades and behavior.

9kLfeId.jpg

Some data to support your assertion would be nice. If you expect to be taken seriously... What is a “lot”?

Buyer beware. I’d wager to say that the large majority of private schools offer a much better education than the large majority of government schools. And when it comes to private schools; the parent, as a consumer gets to choose. So a little research is all it takes. Home schooled children fare much better on average, than the average government school. Not to mention it enrages the left to no end when they are denied access to other people’s children.
Let's not forget that private schools also get to choose their students. Public schools have no such power.

This is a point people fail to realize. It's not that private schools necessarily provide better education, but they tend to have a better grade of students and they weed out the low performing and bad kids.

Public schools have the burden of having to accept all kids regardless of grades and behavior.
No child left behind didn’t help matters either. Sort the children according to IQ; and you would see massive return on investment.

9kLfeId.jpg

Some data to support your assertion would be nice. If you expect to be taken seriously... What is a “lot”?

Article about American teachers leaving profession with stats.

Analysis | Why it’s a big problem that so many teachers quit — and what to do about it

It's a problem in the UK too.
Teachers Are Leaving Profession At Highest Rate Since Records Began

True but most parents have no power of choice either and they should

One big act which could solve many problems is to repeal truancy laws.
Of course parents have the power of choice....they can pull their children out of public school at any time and put them in private schools or home school them.

9kLfeId.jpg

Analysis | Why it’s a big problem that so many teachers quit — and what to do about it

That doesn’t bolster your assertion regarding private schools.

No child left behind didn’t help matters either. Sort the children according to IQ; and you would see massive return on investment.
Tracking? I totally agree. That is where public education went wrong, when they started to treat the word "tracking" like a naughty word.

Of course parents have the power of choice....they can pull their children out of public school at any time and put them in private schools or home school them.
That is not a choice for most. Only for those with affluence and time which often mean the same thing.

Many parents in inner cities have no alternative but to send their kids to school they believe are unsafe. Or go to jail.

This is especially true for single parents with no money for private schools or time and resources to home school.

Many feel their kids would be better served with no school at all and simply as much time as can be spared in a library learning what they can.

The law does not even allow them to make such judgements.

That doesn’t bolster your assertion regarding private schools.

What? My assertion about private schools? Have no issues with private schools. I'm currently working at one. But my point was they aren't any better public schools.

That is not a choice for most. Only for those with affluence and time which often mean the same thing.

Many parents in inner cities have no alternative but to send their kids to school they believe are unsafe. Or go to jail.

This is especially true for single parents with no money for private schools or time and resources to home school.

Many feel their kids would be better served with no school at all and simply as much time as can be spared in a library learning what they can.

Single welfare moms have the most time to devote to home schooling their children. The problem being; most of them lack the education, and discipline themselves, to do it effectively.

Single welfare moms have the most time to devote to home schooling their children. The problem being; most of them lack the education, and discipline themselves, to do it effectively.
That may be true but I did not specify single welfare mom's.

I referred to single parents on general.

Many single parents are dads and many parents work with no welfare.

The point is to stop dictating what is in the best interest of the child when it comes to education. The parents know better.

The point is to stop dictating what is in the best interest of the child when it comes to education. The parents know better.
I’m not so sure they know better. But I do believe they should have every right to make whatever choice they believe is better.

Here's what the NEA (National Educators Association) thinks about it ... Teachers Divided Over Controversial 'No-Zero' Grading Policy

I am wondering how much it has to do with the scoring system applied to schools under No Child Left Behind, and if it is just another attempt for administrators to undermine accountability and protect their scores. The worst part of the NCLB legislation, is the fact it would require people to be proficient in their jobs as educators, and is most often plagued by the desire to implement it incorrectly, and avoid the consequences.

I’m not so sure they know better. But I do believe they should have every right to make whatever choice they believe is better.
They do not always know what is best and they make bad decisions.

However the state which claims to want what is best for the kid really does not want what is best for the kid.

The state wants what is best for the state. The state never wants to admit that many state schools are disasters and failures therefore they cannot allow parents to shed light on such schools by withdrawing their kids.

Someone do some research. The Department of Education was created under the "great" President jimmy carter in 1979 (I believe.)

Since that dept was created, how has the education in this country ranked in the world with grade school and high school ages?
On the subject of rankings, wonder where the dept’s current size sits on the list of great stumbling Washington bureaucracies today?

Here's what the NEA (National Educators Association) thinks about it ... Teachers Divided Over Controversial 'No-Zero' Grading Policy

I am wondering how much it has to do with the scoring system applied to schools under No Child Left Behind, and if it is just another attempt for administrators to undermine accountability and protect their scores. The worst part of the NCLB legislation, is the fact it would require people to be proficient in their jobs as educators, and is most often plagued by the desire to implement it incorrectly, and avoid the consequences.
In life there is no one size fits all answer. And that is exactly what most public education curriculums failingly try to implement. Any group trying to put together a successful educational system should be required to read, and understand “The Bell Curve”. Till then they’re just pissing in the wind. Not to mention pissing away taxpayer dollars, and countless thousands of children’s futures...

9kLfeId.jpg

This is the problem of what happens when POLITICIANS start getting involved in education.

The worst two things educators have to deal with are

1) bosses who haven't got a clue what the fuck their doing and;

2) Parents who haven't got a fucking clue what's going on.

But no fault on teachers or their unions right? :rolleyes:

What? Christ, why do you people always have to do that. I made a point and you have to go and talk about something else. What the fuck does what you say have to do with what we're talking about here?

Forum List

Back