Teacher fired for refusing to give students a score of 50% on assignments they failed to turn in.

How is the state "forcibly replacing them" as parents? No one is forced to put their kids in public school.
Yes they are.

That is what truancy laws do. Except for the relatively affluent.
Not at all...you are required to get your child an education...it does NOT require public school....that is the default position for parents, NOT a requirement. Don't like public school, there are two other options....private school and home school. Don't whine about something you do NOT have to send your kids to.
Wrong.

As I pointed out and you ignore private and homeschool are not options for most.

If you lack the resources for those options then yes you are forced by law to send your kids public schools

So essentially you support self determination for the affluent but not for anyone else
Why aren't private and home school options? If you lack the resources to educate your children AS YOU SEE FIT, why did you have those children in the first place? Seems to me, you WANT to abdicate your responsibilities to the public schools while whining about it. How many school board meetings have you attended? How often do you volunteer at your child's school? Do you know the teachers? Have you reviewed the texts the district buys? Do you abdicate FEEDING your child to the school lunch program? Do you abdicate getting your child to school by their bus system?
They are not options for most because private schools cost a lot and homeschooling takes so much time it essentially requires one be a stay at home parent

Most not have the resources for either

You asked me already and I answered. You are simply wrong and I have demonstrated that

The state has by law declared itself to be the parent. You are the one supporting that while whining about parents lack of involvement.

Parents would be more involved if not forced to turn their kids over to the state and they ARE forced to.
Sounds like you are whining more than anything else. You have a certain # of children. You cannot afford to pay for private or home schooling so you go to the DEFAULT public school....but you whine about the public school and therefore want the government to PAY for your more expensive or time consuming choice. What next? You can't afford a BMW, so you have a Chevy.....whine and demand the government PAY for a BMW for you?

Yes they are.

That is what truancy laws do. Except for the relatively affluent.
Not at all...you are required to get your child an education...it does NOT require public school....that is the default position for parents, NOT a requirement. Don't like public school, there are two other options....private school and home school. Don't whine about something you do NOT have to send your kids to.
Wrong.

As I pointed out and you ignore private and homeschool are not options for most.

If you lack the resources for those options then yes you are forced by law to send your kids public schools

So essentially you support self determination for the affluent but not for anyone else
Why aren't private and home school options? If you lack the resources to educate your children AS YOU SEE FIT, why did you have those children in the first place? Seems to me, you WANT to abdicate your responsibilities to the public schools while whining about it. How many school board meetings have you attended? How often do you volunteer at your child's school? Do you know the teachers? Have you reviewed the texts the district buys? Do you abdicate FEEDING your child to the school lunch program? Do you abdicate getting your child to school by their bus system?
They are not options for most because private schools cost a lot and homeschooling takes so much time it essentially requires one be a stay at home parent

You asked me already and I answered. You are simply wrong and I have demonstrated that

The state has by law declared itself to be the parent. You are the one supporting that while whining about parents lack of involvement.

Parents would be more involved if not forced to turn their kids over to the state and they ARE forced to.
Sounds like you are whining more than anything else. You have a certain # of children. You cannot afford to pay for private or home schooling so you go to the DEFAULT public school....but you whine about the public school and therefore want the government to PAY for your more expensive or time consuming choice. What next? You can't afford a BMW, so you have a Chevy.....whine and demand the government PAY for a BMW for you?
I advocate no such thing.

I never suggested we pay for everyones bad decisions insaid we should simply stop making them do what we think is best. they are better off resolving their owb problems.

REPEAL truancy laws? How on earth does that help children get educated?
I explained how.

Some schools especially in inner cities are disasters.

But parents with no resources are forced to send their kids to such schools are faced with criminal charges. Meanwhile the government denies how bad they are.

If parents are permitted to pull their kids out of any school for their own reasons then the state will be forced to solve the problem when the certain schools start to empty.

You have missed the point.
Wrong as usual.

I nailed it

Go put some ice on your thumb.

School choice is a laudable principle, but when students are failing because of their home situations, it does not address the problem.
And that is not the only or main reason they fail.

You are ignorant on the subject.

Wrong.

I never suggested we pay for everyones bad decisions insaid we should simply stop making them do what we think is best. they are better off resolving their owb problems.
Do you consider it to be a GOOD decision to have a set number of kids.....knowing that you would rather they be out of public schools (which means private school or home school)....but you can't afford that?

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Liberalism is a pathologically lethal virus. Our America is in the final stages of its radical left infection. The only two outcomes are its death, or destruction of the radical leftist pathogen.
The right wing is, "in power now".

Negative. The core of academia (is), the de facto law of the land (is) and the true power of out nation (is), fall under, in the following ordinal order: radical leftism born of Enlightenment Era atheist leftism, #MeToo and political correctness, radical leftist judicial dictatorship.
Our elected representatives make the laws.

I explained how.

But parents with no resources are forced to send their kids to such schools are faced with criminal charges. Meanwhile the government denies how bad they are.

If parents are permitted to pull their kids out of any school for their own reasons then the state will be forced to solve the problem when the certain schools start to empty.

Wrong as usual.

I nailed it

School choice is a laudable principle, but when students are failing because of their home situations, it does not address the problem.

So are you

Wrong.

Do you consider it to be a GOOD decision to have a set number of kids.....knowing that you would rather they be out of public schools (which means private school or home school)....but you can't afford that?
No.

Nor am I stating we should spend more to help them

Just remove one impediment

Wrong as usual.

I nailed it

So are you

No, I’m not.

Wrong as usual.

I nailed it

So are you

No, I’m not.
Yes you are

So are you

No, I’m not.
Yes you are

Going on 25 years as a teacher. How about you, big mouth?

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

Tough Talk Substitutes for Following Through

So is Conservatism, if no Right Wingers offer her a job at one of their prep schools for a much higher salary.

9kLfeId.jpg

This is the problem of what happens when POLITICIANS start getting involved in education.

The worst two things educators have to deal with are

1) bosses who haven't got a clue what the fuck their they're doing. and;

2) Parents who haven't have got a fucking clue what's going on.
Those Who Determine War Policy Indulge in the Same Hypocrisy

The problem is that the class that determines what goes on in the public-school classrooms sends its own kids to private schools.

Buyer beware. I’d wager to say that the large majority of private schools offer a much better education than the large majority of government schools. And when it comes to private schools; the parent, as a consumer gets to choose. So a little research is all it takes. Home schooled children fare much better on average, than the average government school. Not to mention it enrages the left to no end when they are denied access to other people’s children.
Let's not forget that private schools also get to choose their students. Public schools have no such power.
True but most parents have no power of choice either and they should

One big act which could solve many problems is to repeal truancy laws.
REPEAL truancy laws? How on earth does that help children get educated?
I explained how.

Unfortunately, if parents are permitted to sleep in and not make sure their kids go to school each morning, they will sleep in and the kids will lose out on an education. That's the side of it that I've seen. Drug addicts, mostly, but there's plenty of them.
B Students Jealous of A Students

That's the genetic fault of the whole race; none of them should be called "victims." The trillions wasted on the Ding Dongs of the Bell Curve should have been channeled into paying smartkids for their grades. That would have paid for itself many times over.

We lost out on the immense payoff from that because plutocratic parasites, whose entire wealth is created by meek and submissive High IQ employees, structured a system in which smartkids would be treated like freaks and losers by their fellow students. There's no other reason why superior minds aren't treated the way superior athletes are now, from childhood on, with the same social benefits.

Comparing it to other nations is not a great tool for measuring success.

The purpose of education is not to out do Germany or the UK or whoever.

We should look at how well education worked in this nation before the department was created and how it has done since.
Although the Department is a relative newcomer among Cabinet-level agencies, its origins goes back to 1867, when President Andrew Johnson signed legislation creating the first Department of Education. Its main purpose was to collect information and statistics about the nation's schools. However, due to concern that the Department would exercise too much control over local schools, the new Department was demoted to an Office of Education in 1868.

Over the years, the office remained relatively small, operating under different titles and housed in various agencies, including the U.S. Department of the Interior and the former U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services).

Beginning in the 1950s, political and social changes resulted in expanded federal funding for education. The successful launch of the Soviet Union's Sputnik in 1957 spurred nationwide concern that led to increased aid for science education programs. The 1960s saw even more expansion of federal education funding: President Lyndon Johnson's "War on Poverty" called for the creation of many programs to improve education for poor students at all levels—early childhood through postsecondary. This expansion continued in the 1970s with national efforts to help racial minorities, women, people with disabilities and non-English speaking students gain equal access to education. In October 1979, Congress passed the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88). Created by combining offices from several federal agencies, the Department began operations in May 1980.

In the 1860s, a budget of $15,000 and four employees handled education fact-finding. By 1965, the Office of Education had more than 2,100 employees and a budget of $1.5 billion. As of mid-2010, the Department has nearly 4,300 employees and a budget of about $60 billion.

An Overview of the U.S. Department of Education-- Pg 1

Essentially, the problem is that public education is being tasked with too much; the costly, specialized programs for children with special needs and being expected to overcome community influences in poor, crime ridden communities as if they didn't exist are two of those expectations no one institution can accomplish alone.

This.

And then, blame the teachers when the job doesn't get done. See: teacher shortage. No one can do this.

Just one more nail in the coffin of our society, I'm convinced of that.
We seem to be muddling through, but I believe we can do better. There is too much political influence in education, and there's nothing to be done about it--all the way down to the local school board, there can be total catastrophes done to a school's action plan.
People who make decisions on schools and education should be educators, I believe. Teachers don't go into it for the money or the glory; they do it to help kids and they are well trained these days and all of them are compelled to stay current with Continuing Education in order to renew their certification.
That’s because we have a governmental department of education. You cannot have governmental interference which is Apolitical...
I agree. But I also remember the huge stink with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and local schools SCREAMING about installing even so much as a ramp to the front door for kids using a wheel chair. Without a huge push from the government, these kids would never have had a chance at an education. I just think it should be separate but excellent, for some of these kids who are either too handicapped to get anything from a regular classroom, or are too disruptive to allow a regular classroom to function.
Prometheus Shrugged Off, Mugged by Atlas

If we had an Americans With Abilities Act, our neglected, humiliated, and insulted High IQs would cure all those disabilities.

Although the Department is a relative newcomer among Cabinet-level agencies, its origins goes back to 1867, when President Andrew Johnson signed legislation creating the first Department of Education. Its main purpose was to collect information and statistics about the nation's schools. However, due to concern that the Department would exercise too much control over local schools, the new Department was demoted to an Office of Education in 1868.

Over the years, the office remained relatively small, operating under different titles and housed in various agencies, including the U.S. Department of the Interior and the former U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services).

Beginning in the 1950s, political and social changes resulted in expanded federal funding for education. The successful launch of the Soviet Union's Sputnik in 1957 spurred nationwide concern that led to increased aid for science education programs. The 1960s saw even more expansion of federal education funding: President Lyndon Johnson's "War on Poverty" called for the creation of many programs to improve education for poor students at all levels—early childhood through postsecondary. This expansion continued in the 1970s with national efforts to help racial minorities, women, people with disabilities and non-English speaking students gain equal access to education. In October 1979, Congress passed the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88). Created by combining offices from several federal agencies, the Department began operations in May 1980.

In the 1860s, a budget of $15,000 and four employees handled education fact-finding. By 1965, the Office of Education had more than 2,100 employees and a budget of $1.5 billion. As of mid-2010, the Department has nearly 4,300 employees and a budget of about $60 billion.

An Overview of the U.S. Department of Education-- Pg 1

Essentially, the problem is that public education is being tasked with too much; the costly, specialized programs for children with special needs and being expected to overcome community influences in poor, crime ridden communities as if they didn't exist are two of those expectations no one institution can accomplish alone.

This.

And then, blame the teachers when the job doesn't get done. See: teacher shortage. No one can do this.

Just one more nail in the coffin of our society, I'm convinced of that.
We seem to be muddling through, but I believe we can do better. There is too much political influence in education, and there's nothing to be done about it--all the way down to the local school board, there can be total catastrophes done to a school's action plan.
People who make decisions on schools and education should be educators, I believe. Teachers don't go into it for the money or the glory; they do it to help kids and they are well trained these days and all of them are compelled to stay current with Continuing Education in order to renew their certification.
That’s because we have a governmental department of education. You cannot have governmental interference which is Apolitical...
I agree. But I also remember the huge stink with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and local schools SCREAMING about installing even so much as a ramp to the front door for kids using a wheel chair. Without a huge push from the government, these kids would never have had a chance at an education. I just think it should be separate but excellent, for some of these kids who are either too handicapped to get anything from a regular classroom, or are too disruptive to allow a regular classroom to function.

Special needs kids assault other children and adults at school. Believe it. I'm talking real assault. Physical assault. Broken bones, ER visits, etc. But you can't say this, see. It's not PC.
Idealism Is the Costume Sadism Dresses Up In

It was cruel to outlaw lobotomies, even though the operation itself was called "cruelty." Misleading movies like One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest presented its great benefit in preventing future victims of untamed psychos as instead some sort of personal vendetta by unrepresentative members of the medical profession.

Like all sado-masochists, Bleeding Hearts successfully hide vicious anti-social intentions. A Liberal is a misfit whose secret desire is to be raped by some sweaty thug; he gets even more pleasure in using political power to turn loose those subhuman predators on the rest of us so that we are forced to join him in his Death Wish pit.

The teacher was in the wrong and deserved to be fired, as much as it looks ridiculous

My wife has taught 8th grade English for over 20 years

The district had a policy that does not allow for any grade below 50%; sounds absurd - right?

It's not though, my wife explained it to me.

A zero grade is.very difficult, if not impossible to recover from. Even if the kid makes all As, Bs & Cs the rest of the way, that zero on one unit could cause them to fail, which would not necessarily be a fair reflection of the student's real progress for the year, or semester. If a kid decides to turn it around and get serious, recovering from a 50% unit score is feasible

My wife's school, which is one of the top schools in Alabama, has the same "no zero grade" policy

The kids are required to either make up the work, do lunch study or Saturday school, and the teacher can still give a failing grade, but not lower than 50%

This fired teacher decided to ignore district and/or school policy and was fired for cause.

So there you have it...

SweetSue92 Do you like ice? And capitalists? Come to Alaska, we're basically a whole different country. You could teach in the bush and make bank, or locally I think pays around $73k (would have to check, we just got our budget whipped back into shape after we almost had to dip into our savings.) Only shootings we typically have are moose and bears - though fair warning, teachers up here carry like everyone else and the police will be up the schools ass if theres a shot within a mile - our boys do /not/ mess around with the kids lots of military vet police. Also lots of pot, and spice on the east side. Whaley is the "bad kid" HS. Generally go south side HS's and I highly recommend one of our ABC lottery schools if you do K6 or 8 the one in Eagle River here, Birchwood ABC, is almost always looking for MS teachers so they can run k8; one of the best in the nation too.

(Sorry I have a weird habit of attempting to recruit all the promising sounding stock for the state. Gotta think about my eventual grandkids heh)

9kLfeId.jpg

Post-Modernization. There is no Truth in that bankrupt philosophy and no justification for it.

9kLfeId.jpg

Strikes me that if she doesn't command enough of a classroom presence to get kids to do the work, she probably shouldn't be a teacher.

Forum List

Back