Teacher Emphasizes Old-Fashioned Etiquette

it's nice...but I think whoever is there first should hold doors for others. I've opened doors for men a lot...they are appreciative. I don't do it because of gender...I do it because I get to the door first.

There are some fundamental rules that are important for kids to learn, like looking someone in the eye when talking to them," Leonard said. "And there can be a role for the school to play, especially if etiquette isn't being taught at home."

It's too bad that manners have to be taught at school and not at home, isn't it?

Heck, I taught my daughter to send HAND WRITTEN thank you notes whenever she receives a gift, but I don't know when the last time either of us have received a hand written thank you note. No biggie, it's a lost art too.

I think a lot of teachers try to teach a sense of decorum in their students, at least I hope they are when they can.

Most of the "etiquette" stuff is just so completely stupid. Yes, holding doors for anybody, regardless of if its a man holding for a woman, is nice thing to do. But why should men pull out the chair, or stand up when a woman enters the room. Doesn't that go a bit far? Isn't a woman who expects that kind of thing think that she is a queen?

So many things that are deemed good etiquette to me is just outdated shit. I know for a fact I wouldn't 2ant people to have to stand up when I enter the room, that's just silly. and really, who cares how I hold my wine glass, or a different fork for salad, apps, dinner, etc. Just give me one fork , one knife. It's seems to me to be elitist, snobby crap to do stuff like that.

Why would anyone complain? Now I'd like to see some etiquette rules for girls on how to treat other girls.

Feminists maybe. That women should be treated differently.

I'm talking about school girls--mean girls--the cliques that form packs and literally attack those that don't "fit in." They can crucify other girls via Facebook.

Most of the "etiquette" stuff is just so completely stupid. Yes, holding doors for anybody, regardless of if its a man holding for a woman, is nice thing to do. But why should men pull out the chair, or stand up when a woman enters the room. Doesn't that go a bit far? Isn't a woman who expects that kind of thing think that she is a queen?

So many things that are deemed good etiquette to me is just outdated shit. I know for a fact I wouldn't 2ant people to have to stand up when I enter the room, that's just silly. and really, who cares how I hold my wine glass, or a different fork for salad, apps, dinner, etc. Just give me one fork , one knife. It's seems to me to be elitist, snobby crap to do stuff like that.

I don't much care about opening doors and which is the proper food utensil, but I'll tell ya, I still can't stand to watch someone attack a steak in a stabbing motion, then take a mouthful and continue to talk. Table MANNERS are a must for me, or I'll just get up and leave the table.

You think that's something. I was raised partially in northern Mississippi and partially by my Haitian great Aunt's living in the Washington DC area. I was taught all these things for an early age. I held the door open for women, let woman go first at all times, when addressing elders from a small age I addressed them as sir or ma'am. I still address my mother by saying "yes ma'am" or "no ma'am". When I was younger if I didn't I got whooped. I was taught pull the chair out for the woman, growing up I was taught to accompany my mother at the store, carry her grocery bags, stand and keep watch while she used the ATM...etc. If I cussed or used improper language in the presence of an older woman, I was spanked as a child. If my three brothers and I were on the bus or on a train with my mom and a woman got on and there were no seats and she had to stand, she made all four of us get up for just one and stand.

This from a lower middle class black family in the south and not that long ago I just graduated from High School recently. Hardly elitist. That's how you raise children to be respectful though. You put down boundries and you lay down the law. None of this anything goes bullshit. My Haitian great aunts were probably much stricter I watched them raise children and they were real uptight about how to address your elders and act towards women. It's something you HAVE to teach children, especially young boys. The man is still the protecter of a successful home, and no matter how socially liberal and live and let live I might be I still believe in gender roles, because I've sen they work and makes sense. Teaching young boys to respect women prepares them for life as the "provider" and "protecter". Of course growing up I was still a badass, just extremely respectful to women and my elders and I still am.

Last edited:

I don't much care about opening doors and which is the proper food utensil, but I'll tell ya, I still can't stand to watch someone attack a steak in a stabbing motion, then take a mouthful and continue to talk. Table MANNERS are a must for me, or I'll just get up and leave the table.

Worst is, there are people from China where I work, and in their country its considered etiquette to make as much noise when eating. I can't stand the sound of someone chewing and slurping their food with their mouth open. Ugh, drives me nuts.

Some things proper manners are good, when they effect other people, but some things just go too far.

LIke at a nice hotel, I can carry my bags to my room. Or the worst, bathroom attendants. Are there really people that expect this type of service? I just feel stupid

Forum List

Back