Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Education' started by JakeStarkey, Jul 14, 2018.

?

Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

1. Yes and explain

15 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No and explain

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,223
    You shoulda been a test animal.

2. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    Wow, I'm about halfway through this thread and I can't believe that almost everyone who has weighed in has said female teachers should wear dresses or skirts. Are you all picturing teachers who "stand and deliver" all day long? High school? The last time you were in K-12 education?

I teach in elem. school and very, very rarely wear skirts or dresses. I am up and down on the floor all. day. long. That's...not cool. I wear nice dress pants with accessories and look professional, don't get me wrong. But skirts are not quite the thing when you're on the floor with kids. That's why most districts try to be flexible with dressing. You have everything from preschool teachers to special ed teachers who are quite physical with children (not like it sounds, but they are manipulating children physically) to Phys Ed teachers. Dress is not "one size fits all", so generally things like "no jeans, no yoga pants, professional dress" will do the trick.

Anyway, interesting responses!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,223
    I do not necessarily think dresses or skirts are required, nor do I think jackets and ties are required for male teachers, especially for teachers who have active or messy jobs. At this point, not looking like a homeless person would be a step up for some people.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why being an authority figure is such an outrageous, distasteful idea to so many folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,589
    I don't mind it at all--I mean, being an "authority figure". But for the age I teach, being a kind an approachable authority figure is important. But I think understanding your role altogether is vital, and in general, your body, age, and how to dress yourself.

When I was a young teacher, I took care to look "crisp" because I'm very small and looked young. Now, I strive to look professional at all times, but know I don't look so young anymore--ha! So I know skirts are not required. Really in my climate, skirts are often impractical anyway. They then require tights in the winter, and you're just cold all the time. No thanks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,927

Insecurity

6. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39,900
    Me neither. I rather enjoy walking into class and having 60 people jump to attention.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ricechickie

ricechickie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,001
    Yes. There’s a certain standard that should be upheld.

That said, I’m guilty of bare arms when my classroom gets insanely hot. I would dare administration to teach in that heat and complain about how I dress.

8. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,851
    Yep, picture of teachers during the reign of Mao:

[​IMG]

Each holding the Little Red Book***

What is the Little Red Book?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ricechickie

ricechickie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,001
    It kind of sounds fearful to me.

But that’s what happens in a society where breasts are more entertainment than nourishment for babies.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +46,192
    It depends on one's expectations.

If "school" is supposed to be an institution of education, and it nevertheless requires the educator to be an "authority figure" --- they're obviously doing it wrong, as well as undermining the very mission.

OTOH if "school" is supposed to be a monstrous 19th century mandatory militaristic regimentation where kids are rubber-stamped into cookie-cutter cutouts of what the State dictates while individual originality and creativity is abhorred and punished, then yes, 'authority figure' is what you want. Preferably with torture devices. Because somebody's got to do the punishing.
    :whipg:

Personally I like to call a term what it is. If we call an institution "school", then I expect a "school", in the first definition. I'm particular that way.

• Agree Agree x 1