Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Doesn't bode well for either country:

http://www.torontofreepress.com/2004/weinreb063004.htm

Politically Incorrect
Poll: over 40% of Canadian teens think America is "evil"
by Arthur Weinreb

June 30, 2004

Can West News Services, owners of several Canadian newspapers including the National Post as well as the Global Television Network commissioned a series of polls to determine how young people feel about the issues that were facing the country’s voters. Dubbed "Youth Vote 2004", the polls, sponsored by the Dominion Institute and Navigator Ltd. were taken with a view to getting more young people involved in the political process.

In one telephone poll of teens between the ages of 14 and 18, over 40 per cent of the respondents described the United States as being "evil". That number rose to 64 per cent for French Canadian youth.

This being Canada, the amount of anti-Americanism that was found is not surprising. What is significant is the high number of teens who used the word "evil" to describe our southern neighbour. As Misty Harris pointed out in her column in the Saskatoon Star Phoenix, evil is usually associated with serial killers and "kids who tear the legs off baby spiders." These teens appear to equate George W. Bush and Americans with Osama bin Laden and Hitler, although it is unknown if the teens polled would describe the latter two as being evil. Whether someone who orders planes to be flown into heavily populated buildings would fit that description would make a good subject for a future poll.

I'm more intrested in how the other 60% responded to the survey?

What percentage of respondents were from Quebec?

What percentage of US children know Canada exists?

Quote: Arthur Lee "I'm more intrested in how the other 60% responded to the survey?

What percentage of US children know Canada exists?"

Again, this is important. If I had to guess, the largest anti-USA sentiment is coming from Quebec - I could be wrong, but I doubt I would be off by much.

-=d=-: If you think the kids in the survey are dumb, what about the adults teaching them?

Originally posted by Said1
Quote: Arthur Lee "I'm more intrested in how the other 60% responded to the survey?

What percentage of US children know Canada exists?"

Again, this is important. If I had to guess, the largest anti-USA sentiment is coming from Quebec - I could be wrong, but I doubt I would be off by much.

-=d=-: If you think the kids in the survey are dumb, what about the adults teaching them?

Dam* article didn't say, I'll leave it to you all to find the answer there.

Kathianne: This is from the article you posted above.

"Nor is it surprising that this feeling is more pronounced in Quebec where Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe said that he would rather live under the United Nations than the Stars and Stripes."

Duceppe is no longer the Premier of Quebec, and I don't know when he said this, but the Bloc Quebecois is a good place to start when researching this topic. There are other areas where Canadians are not happy with the outcomes of certain disputes between countries, but comments like that, made by public figures is not acceptable.

Originally posted by Said1
Kathianne: This is from the article you posted above.

"Nor is it surprising that this feeling is more pronounced in Quebec where Bloc Quebecois leader Gilles Duceppe said that he would rather live under the United Nations than the Stars and Stripes."

Duceppe is no longer the Premier of Quebec, and I don't know when he said this, but the Bloc Quebecois is a good place to start when researching this topic. There are other areas where Canadians are not happy with the outcomes of certain disputes between countries, but comments like that, made by public figures is not acceptable.

I hear you Said. You and Issac are what I think of when I think Canada. Both very good people. There are problems I hope will be bridged in coming years. I'm not anti-Canada by a long shot, though when I'm hyped it might seem such.

Originally posted by freeandfun1
Where's Canada? Who is the PM?
:slap: Gee that's your first slap from me! LOL

Okay, Canada is just East of Alaska and North of US. Now, really, who is the PM?

Frankly, I find it amusing that they focus on the 40% that think we are "evil" instead of the 60% that apparently have NO problems with US.

Okay, Canada is just East of Alaska and North of US. Now, really, who is the PM?

Frankly, I find it amusing that they focus on the 40% that think we are "evil" instead of the 60% that apparently have NO problems with US.

I said as much to Said, the article doesn't say. I believe though, considering past ties, 40% is awfully high, especially amongst those who probably don't have much info. they are the future. That's why I thought important.

Originally posted by Kathianne
I said as much to Said, the article doesn't say. I believe though, considering past ties, 40% is awfully high, especially amongst those who probably don't have much info. they are the future. That's why I thought important.

I agree it is important. I bet if you asked the same question to CA youths, you would probably get similar numbers. Also, I find it interesting that the article states, "What is significant is the high number of teens who used the word "evil" to describe our southern neighbour." Frankly, polls usually don't record the "statements" of the respondants. They present a question. For example, "Do you believe the USA is Angelic or Evil?" I seriously doubt if the question was, "what do you think of America" and the reply was, by over 40%, "they are evil".

I agree it is important. I bet if you asked the same question to CA youths, you would probably get similar numbers. Also, I find it interesting that the article states, "What is significant is the high number of teens who used the word "evil" to describe our southern neighbour." Frankly, polls usually don't record the "statements" of the respondants. They present a question. For example, "Do you believe the USA is Angelic or Evil?" I seriously doubt if the question was, "what do you think of America" and the reply was, by over 40%, "they are evil".

Have to agree with you. Seems to be badly handled, may be just to stir the pot that is already simmering. Thanks.

Forum List

Back