Teabaggers protesting recycling

Your title is misleading. Thier main gripe seems to be the switch to 1 pickup per week for all vs. their previous arrangement, where they could negotiate with various vendors for more detailed plans. They are also not happy with MANDATORY recycling, not recycling as a whole.

I live in NYC, so for at least residential garbage we have city workers for it, and for a large city it makes sense to reduce truck traffic. But for a smaller municipality maybe the open system works better.

I am more interested in the claims by the TP people that the bid system was rigged to favor larger outside companies. There is also thier concern about loss of local buisnesses.

Your title is misleading. Thier main gripe seems to be the switch to 1 pickup per week for all vs. their previous arrangement, where they could negotiate with various vendors for more detailed plans. They are also not happy with MANDATORY recycling, not recycling as a whole.

I live in NYC, so for at least residential garbage we have city workers for it, and for a large city it makes sense to reduce truck traffic. But for a smaller municipality maybe the open system works better.

I am more interested in the claims by the TP people that the bid system was rigged to favor larger outside companies. There is also thier concern about loss of local buisnesses.

I stationed in Germany and recycling is mandatory yet no ne is bitching and moaning about it I don't understand why it isn't mandatory in America.

I stationed in Germany and recycling is mandatory yet no ne is bitching and moaning about it I don't understand why it isn't mandatory in America.

Seperate question. Most opposition is due to the fact that it often seems pointless, as the seperate trash isnt used to its full potential, and often the only reason some places have recycling is so that sanitation officers can give out tickets for screwing it up, thus creating another revenue stream.

One of my pet peeves about recyling is that often the water you need to use to clean out recylable items of marginal value negates the benefit you get from returning the product to the production chain.

Hmm Where I live home pickup recycling is not even offered. And we can choose from any private garbage company we want to. Or choose none at all......
I wish one of those companies available to me offered home pickup for recyclables.

Hmm Where I live home pickup recycling is not even offered. And we can choose from any private garbage company we want to. Or choose none at all......
I wish one of those companies available to me offered home pickup for recyclables.

Do you have drop off recycling availible?

Why do you hate the Constitution?

Why do you hate the Constitution?

If I hated the Constitution I wouldn't e serving in a military that defends it you dumbass.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Yes 12 miles away in the county seat. But not even full recycling there. Just plastic bottles and alum cans. And everyone recycles their own cans for cash elsewhere.
And everytime I have gone by the drop off point the bins are always overflowing. Not sure if they empty them very often.

Last edited:

Germany is a small pond.

Recycling costs more than it "saves"

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/29/nyregion/29recycle.web.html

Recycling costs the city $284 a ton, while curbside trash disposal comes to $267 a ton,

The study found that recycling costs more in large part because sanitation crews have to travel farther and spend more time picking up recyclable material than when they are collecting garbage

And all that extra driving around causes more pollution not less.

And here's another question to ponder:

If recycling saves money then how come all the crap you can by that's recycled costs more?

Last edited:

Germany is a small pond.

Fountai HIlls, AZ is even smaller

Yes 12 miles away in the county seat. But not even full recycling there. Just plastic bottles and alum cans. And everyone recycles their own cans for cash elsewhere.
And everytime I have gone by the drop off point the bins are always overflowing. Not sure if they empty them very often.

Where I live it is forced, you have to do it. The reason is the city can pay less to dispose of paper and metal than pure refuse.

Its awsome, I have a greenwaste can , a recyclables can and a trash can.

Its amazing how little real trash you have when you seprate the reusables.

Forum List

Back