Tea Party Would Cut $9 Trillion

Scoffing at Washington's troubled effort to cut just $1.2 trillion in federal debt over 10 years, the Tea Party's own debt commission today unveiled a shocking plan to slash nearly $10 trillion over the next decade, in part by eliminating several federal agencies, balancing the budget by 2015, and killing foreign aid to unfriendly nations.

"Go bold or go home," says the report from the Tea Party Debt Commission. "Are you listening, Washington?"

The FreedomWorks-led effort started months ago by asking Tea Party members for ideas on what to cut from the federal budget. They ended up going much further than Congress or the president wants.

Their plan would cut spending by $9.7 trillion, and shrink the federal government from 24 percent of GDP to 17.5 percent, in line with the post-war norm.

Key initiatives include:

1. Repealing the president's health care reform plan.
  2. Eliminating four cabinet agencies: Energy, Housing and Urban Development, Commerce and Education, and reducing or privatizing the EPA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and TSA.
  3. Ending farm subsidies, foreign aid to unfriendly nations, and student loans, or what the Tea Party report called "luxuries we can no longer afford."
  4. Suspending pension contributions and cost of living adjustments to lawmakers when the budget is running a deficit.
  5. Killing all congressional earmarks.
  6. Cut federal employee pay by 10 percent and slash employee travel to $4 billion, half of what was spent in 2000.
  7. Make the Bush tax cuts and the alternative minimum tax permanent.

"Imagine a plan that cuts, caps, and balances federal spending without raising taxes; that gives future generations control over their own retirement security; and that lifts the massive debt burden from our children's shoulders so they can know the American dream of ever-higher freedom and prosperity. And on top of all that, imagine that it's a serious, credible, plan generated by the grassroots. This is that plan," said the report.

Exclusive: Tea Party Would Cut $9 Trillion - US News and World Report

Two questions:

1. Where are the defense cuts?

2. How many Americans would lose their jobs under this plan?

We do not need defense cuts, we do however need to get rid of programs the federal government should not be into to begin with, like the department of education and the jobs killing energy department.
The only reason one would want to cut defense spending and downsize our military is if you would need a weak military at a time when NATO uses the "Right to protect law that takes away our sovereignty" and comes steam rolling into our country for a takeover.
The communists know the only thing from NATO taking over this country is that 1) we are all armed 2) the majority of our police are sworn to protect the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic 3) our military would never stand for NATO coming into this country. They cannot take our guns away yet, they are hard at work right now turning the police against the people, and the only way they can make our military weaker is through legislation and downsizing.

Hey, that's great. Do you think that will work? What a shame it doesn't matter what the Tea Party wants or does. I can prove it. Here it goes....
Which candidate is the Tea Party running for President? none
Which Rino will they end up voting for? Romney
What policies will Romney implament for the Tea Party? none
How much of a difference will they make? insignificant
Will their support of a candidate other than Romney deliver a Democrat victory? yes
Must they abandon their principals, and become and vote Rinos to try beat Obama? yes

The Tea Party doesn't run candidates. They may endorse them but not run them.

Currently Bachmann and Cain are the leading Tea Party candidates.

That is my point they are only a part of the republiucan base now, just a little a smaller than the religious right. The Republicans will give great lip service to the Tea Party, and then treat them just like the religious base. All these years, some, with republicans controling the WH, the senate and the house with a super majority at times. Abortion...still legal. Gay marraige...still going strong. Immigration reform...not so much either. What do you think they'll do for the Tea Party? Let's face it the Tea Party has been assimulated and marginalized within the Republican party, two to three more years and they will have a voice as that of the Religious right maybe a little less.

Immigration was a big issue in 07 and 08 and the Dems squashed that. The issue is toxic to anyone who tries to address it.

Gay marriage isn't still going strong. It's slowly becoming the norm. Abortion is still legal and probably will be for good.

The Tea Party is still in a struggle against the establishment Republicans.....but we're starting to win. Eventually RINOs will be few and far between. Anyone who is discovered to be a RINO might as well pack his bag and leave early.

Truth is once Obama is gone and the Democrats are stopped there's no reason for a Tea Party. Course if the Repugs keep throwing in with them they're gonna have their asses handed to them. We're just waiting to see what happens. Giving them enough rope to hang themselves.

I read the thread title and I immediately wondered how many children and elderly and poor would be affected. Cause you always know the children are nearly the first to go on the chopping block.

Those are just the excuses the left use to tug on the heartstrings of the people to coerce us into shitty legislation, dont buy into it...it's fearmongering at best.

"Go bold or go home," says the report from the Tea Party Debt Commission. "Are you listening, Washington?"

It's not enough. We should cut $1 trillion this year. The $9 trillion isn't really even a cut. It's mostly a reduction in growth. The $1.2 trillion the useless politicians are haggling over is entirely a reduction in spending growth and they still treat it like it's Armageddon. It's sickening.

defense_spending.jpg

I take it all the other nations in this chart must not have security.

we provide the security for 90% of the list

take that away

they are fucked

That would be the point. Why are we defending any of them, essentially for free?

Because it costs money, and our politicians have proven they love to spend money we dont have. That and to the communist they know it is prudent to have our military stationed all over the world for when the one world order kicks in. They use the guise of the quick strike capability to convince us all to believe that that is really whats going on.

I read the thread title and I immediately wondered how many children and elderly and poor would be affected. Cause you always know the children are nearly the first to go on the chopping block.

One thing we know beyond all doubt is that a liberal will never spend a dime of his own money on the people he claims to be so concerned about.

Bwahahaha. I spend both my money AND time on the people I'm so concerned about. I work at a non profit for very little money and it's very rewarding.

I guess that shoots your assessment out of the water.

Just think, if you weren't there and nobody else was, those people would have to actually help themselves and we would all be better off.
I believe in charity, but not to the point to where it makes people dependent on the charity and not on self reliance.

Those are just the excuses the left use to tug on the heartstrings of the people to coerce us into shitty legislation, dont buy into it...it's fearmongering at best.

Get your lubrication ready, here come the politicians again... :ssex:

I'd send education and the EPA(of course housing would go back there to) back to the states.(fully).
I'd cut every department by 10 percent across the board.
I'd cut all federal employee's by 20 percent throughout the federal government.
Cutting in the military and do something to make the healthcare cheaper seems sensible. Cutting aid also seems sensible.

But why is cutting in departments and federal employees equal to cutting debt? Cutting in government dosen’t mean cutting debt, that is totally wrong. When did the debt start to grow, under Reagan because he did cuts in important services.

And what kinda workers are you gonna cut 20% teachers?, police officers?

You clearly know very little about how our government works, so why are you commenting on it? I typically don't make comments on topics I'm ill informed about. I read and keep my shut and see if I learn something.

It is not the job of our federal government to pay for teachers and police officers. While some cities and school districts get occasional funding from the feds for those areas, they are almost entirely paid for by local governments. So no, there wouldn't a 20% cut for teachers and police officers, but it's good to see you have the talking points down already.

And yes, cutting government does mean cutting debt if you can't afford to pay for that government.

Two questions:

1. Where are the defense cuts?

There are no defense cuts because the Republicans are being as stubborn with military spending as the Democrats are with welfare spending.

2. How many Americans would lose their jobs under this plan?

Who gives a shit? Their jobs aren't generating any new wealth nor producing any positive long term economic benefit anyway. All they do is drain private sector resources. They will get new jobs when the private sector begins expanding again.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Scoffing at Washington's troubled effort to cut just $1.2 trillion in federal debt over 10 years, the Tea Party's own debt commission today unveiled a shocking plan to slash nearly $10 trillion over the next decade, in part by eliminating several federal agencies, balancing the budget by 2015, and killing foreign aid to unfriendly nations.

The FreedomWorks-led effort started months ago by asking Tea Party members for ideas on what to cut from the federal budget. They ended up going much further than Congress or the president wants.

Their plan would cut spending by $9.7 trillion, and shrink the federal government from 24 percent of GDP to 17.5 percent, in line with the post-war norm.

Key initiatives include:

2. Eliminating four cabinet agencies: Energy, Housing and Urban Development, Commerce and Education, and reducing or privatizing the EPA, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and TSA.
  3. Ending farm subsidies, foreign aid to unfriendly nations, and student loans, or what the Tea Party report called "luxuries we can no longer afford."
  4. Suspending pension contributions and cost of living adjustments to lawmakers when the budget is running a deficit.
  6. Cut federal employee pay by 10 percent and slash employee travel to $4 billion, half of what was spent in 2000.

"Imagine a plan that cuts, caps, and balances federal spending without raising taxes; that gives future generations control over their own retirement security; and that lifts the massive debt burden from our children's shoulders so they can know the American dream of ever-higher freedom and prosperity. And on top of all that, imagine that it's a serious, credible, plan generated by the grassroots. This is that plan," said the report.

Hey, that's great. Do you think that will work? What a shame it doesn't matter what the Tea Party wants or does. I can prove it. Here it goes....
The tea party is not an actual party like the democrats or republicans, it's an idea.
Noone in the tea party has endorsed romney, and this is an example of bullshit that you spewed because it is speculation that you are already claiming to be fact.
Again, romney is not a tea party candidate.
Will their support of a candidate other than Romney deliver a Democrat victory? yes
Again, more speculation.
Must they abandon their principals, and become and vote Rinos to try beat Obama? yes
Hasn't happened yet, and wont happen. More speculation.

Sounds to me like your full of hopeful wishes and speculation and really have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Last edited:

That is my point they are only a part of the republiucan base now, just a little a smaller than the religious right. The Republicans will give great lip service to the Tea Party, and then treat them just like the religious base. All these years, some, with republicans controling the WH, the senate and the house with a super majority at times. Abortion...still legal. Gay marraige...still going strong. Immigration reform...not so much either. What do you think they'll do for the Tea Party? Let's face it the Tea Party has been assimulated and marginalized within the Republican party, two to three more years and they will have a voice as that of the Religious right maybe a little less.

Immigration was a big issue in 07 and 08 and the Dems squashed that. The issue is toxic to anyone who tries to address it.

Gay marriage isn't still going strong. It's slowly becoming the norm. Abortion is still legal and probably will be for good.

The Tea Party is still in a struggle against the establishment Republicans.....but we're starting to win. Eventually RINOs will be few and far between. Anyone who is discovered to be a RINO might as well pack his bag and leave early.

Truth is once Obama is gone and the Democrats are stopped there's no reason for a Tea Party. Course if the Repugs keep throwing in with them they're gonna have their asses handed to them. We're just waiting to see what happens. Giving them enough rope to hang themselves.

It will always be a struggle, and they will never win it. Obama may go, but the democrats are here to stay. Honestly, when Romney gets the nomination will you vote for him? The rhetoric is ABO. It didn't work for the Dems with bush and it won't work now. Romney is as Rino as you can get and he is packing his bags, for the WH that is. Romney was promised the nomination just like McCain.

They never affiliated with the Republicans, the republicans affiliated with them.

Good. I hope the kids are the first ones. Maybe their parents will start taking some fucking responsibility for them for once in their lives. I take care of my kid. You take care of yours.

As for the elderly, I am so sick and tired of people talking about the poor, poor old people. How will they get by. We can't hang them out to dry, blah blah blah. Senior citizens are the wealthiest demographic in this country. In fact, the wealth gap between them and people my age (I'm 29) on average is staggeringly high. Now you have the Baby Boomers retiring who are nothing more than a bunch of self entitled pukes who will bankrupt this country and leave it in shambles for the rest of us after they're all dead and buried.

Key initiatives include:

The tea party is not an actual party like the democrats or republicans, it's an idea.

Noone in the tea party has endorsed romney, and this is an example of bullshit that you spewed because it is speculation that you are already claiming to be fact.

Again, romney is not a tea party candidate.

Again, more speculation.
Hasn't happened yet, and wont happen. More speculation.

Sounds to me like your full of hopeful wishes and speculation and really have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Ideas don't get elected...people do.
Right on, Romney is not a tea Party candidate...when he is nominated who will you vote for?...Romney, remember ABO, that "woooshing"sound is your principles being flushed down the toilet.
Hopeful wishes and speculation...I give myself %75 chance of being right.

They never affiliated with the Republicans, the republicans affiliated with them.

you say tomato, I say ToMatO.

Key initiatives include:

Too bad nobody would ever trust them to do that in a way that would move the country forward. The teaparty are morons.

Key initiatives include:

Yeah.. as long it's on the backs of the good, hard working working class... you guys are all for it, aren't you? Never mind the aftermath and the misery that results. That doesn't matter. Koch-suckers Unite!

It will always be a struggle, and they will never win it. Obama may go, but the democrats are here to stay. Honestly, when Romney gets the nomination will you vote for him? The rhetoric is ABO. It didn't work for the Dems with bush and it won't work now. Romney is as Rino as you can get and he is packing his bags, for the WH that is. Romney was promised the nomination just like McCain.

If it were a choice between Obama and Fred Urkel I'd vote for Urkel.

The point is we're in serious trouble as long as Obama is in power.

His replacement would remove the danger he poses to our economy and our security.

So sure I'd vote for Romney....simply because he would be an improvement.

Key initiatives include:

damn....that is even dumber than 999

Do TeaTards really think that the Dept of Energy, EPA, Comerce have no functions that we will not have to pay to have done elsewhere?

How exactly does preserving tax cuts help the national debt again?

Too bad nobody would ever trust them to do that in a way that would move the country forward. The teaparty are morons.

So Obama and the Dims are "moving the country forward?"

Yeah, right

Getting rid of almost any government agency would "move the country forward."

Forum List

Back