Tea Party Movement Evolves Into Political Force With Eye Toward 2010

\
The Tea Parties did not exist while George Bush ran up a $5 Trillion deficit.

It has existed in one form or another for about 10 years, however, the version of it which you know today really started in 2007. I admit it's being grabbed by big government Conservatives who are hoping to gain from it politically, but it's truly a libertarian movement. Sarah Palin speaking at TPPs makes me sick. She's the biggest opportunist of them all and does NOT represent the TP values.

TP?

Isn't that the acronym for Toilet Paper?

Can't you guys get anything right?

In your lifetime have you ever heard of a more uninspiring name for a political movement than "Tea Parties"???

It really fires up the masses when you declare "Lets have a Tea Party!"

Do you really think something called a tea party strikes fear into the opposition?

As to "TEABAGGERS"
What else are you supposed to call someone who attends a tea party? tea party goers??

They picked the stupid name not me....let them live with it

They didn't pick the name.

The State Run Media working for Obama coined the term.

Obama....the class-act that he is....repeated the term during a speech shortly afterwards.

It's an insult.....and something that Gays would think of. Which pretty much explains why it came from Obama's media.

Nice attempt at a spin..

Yes they did select the silly name, yes they did decide to wear silly hats with tea bags dangling from them, yes they did initially call themselves tea baggers, yes they did hold up silly and racist signs

The funny part is....they expect to be taken seriously

Funny part is you expect to be taken seriously.

Unless you provide definitive proof of your assertions I'm not gonna believe it.

As it is now I think you're just talking out of your ass yet again.

So, in YOUR mind, because I find people wearing tea bags on their heads idiotic, that makes ME elitist? Wow...

"Stupid Hats AND Teabags."

I suppose you've never been to a Pro Football Game because you've been to busy at Coffee Bars Reading Poetry and Drinking Lattes.:razz:

Are you implying that people who take off their shirts and paint themselves blue and puke in stadium parking lots are trying to be taken seriously as a political movement?

I'm implying that many people demonstrate their passion in ways that have nothing to do with writing poetry, standing in a circle singing Kumbya, or writing doctoral thesis.

And they vote.

And there are Many of Them

And the more Bill Maher, et al, disparages them for being common, or foolish, the more blue paint, funny hats, and tea bags they will wear.

I suppose you've never been to a Pro Football Game because you've been to busy at Coffee Bars Reading Poetry and Drinking Lattes.:razz:

Are you implying that people who take off their shirts and paint themselves blue and puke in stadium parking lots are trying to be taken seriously as a political movement?

I'm implying that many people demonstrate their passion in ways that have nothing to do with writing poetry, standing in a circle singing Kumbya, or writing doctoral thesis.

And they vote.

And there are Many of Them

And the more Bill Maher, et al, disparages them for being common, or foolish, the more blue paint, funny hats, and tea bags they will wear.

Oh Buffy.....let's take our limo down to the park and hold up signs while sipping champagne and espousing slogans about how much those filthy backwoods tea-baggers are polluting the planet.

Besides, almost every picture you see of Tea Party Partiers, shows them with stupid hats on that have tea bags dangling from them. What do you/they expect when you dress like an idiot? To be taken SERIOUSLY? Come on....

You and Bill Maher.......continue to denigrate average Americans' dress and intelligence....it only increases their determination that the "Eliteists" need to be removed from the political picture.

So, in YOUR mind, because I find people wearing tea bags on their heads idiotic, that makes ME elitist? Wow...

All we have to do is see many of the signs held up by Teabaggers to get the idea that they think education and brains are very bad. Educated = Elitist = Bad.

You and Bill Maher.......continue to denigrate average Americans' dress and intelligence....it only increases their determination that the "Eliteists" need to be removed from the political picture.

Let us know when all those Raider Fans want to become a political force in a major Political Party....then we'll panic over it.

Teabaggers_ThenandNow.jpg

The tea party is a powerful political movement that is totally impotent to impact Democratic candidates. They scare the hell out of Republicans and will force Republican candidates to adopt unwinnable platforms in moderate districts. This is what happened in NY23 district in 2009 and will happen across the nation in 2010.
Rather than allowing Republicans to tailor their election strategy to the wants of the people in their district, teabaggers and the wingnuts (Limbaugh, Beck, Palin) will force candidates to toe their rightwing line.

The result will be a fractured GOP with winable seats forfeited to the Democrats

'Unwinable postions' like stop wasting money and ignoring the Constitution?

It appears what you consider 'unwinable postions' are what a lot of the people in this nation really want very badly, that Barry promised and failed to deliver.

The name Tea Party holds a very special significance to those of us who have studied history and hold the US Constitution dear.
Casting dispersions and ridicule to the Tea Party is simply following the example of the nineteenth century democratic party. They did the same thing to the newly formed republican party, holding them out to be uneducated fools, even casting our now beloved Abe Lincoln as a 'monkey running for president'. The ridicule and name-calling was the downfall of the democratic party in the nineteenth century and this history appears that it will be repeated.
The arrogance of the current two party system will work to the Tea Party advantage, and will work to rein in the current of-control two party system.
The fact is that the more the Tea Party is ridiculed, the stronger it gets. This is especially true when the issues that the Tea Party raises are simply dismissed and answered with name-calling and personal attacks. That strengthens the resolve of the current members and attracts more because humans love to side with the under dog.
The fear of the Tea Party is demonstrated by the fact that there are news reports every day. Further proof of this fear is the ridicule of them in the mainstream media on a regular basis without discussing or even understanding what issues they raise.
The Tea Party could repeat history by simply encouraging the democratic party to repeat their own history. So far it's working.

Let us know when all those Raider Fans want to become a political force in a major Political Party....then we'll panic over it.

Oh its not just Raiders Fans.......thank goodness.

There are more NFL, NHL, ETC., ETC., ETC., fans that demonstrate their passion by wearing silly hats that will rise to a political cause than there will ever be pointed-headed-pipe-smoking authors of Doctoral Thesis that believe their opinions are superior than anyone elses.

Of course, this is why we have a Republic....until the Republic fails......and then you won't need me to tell you that these Raider Fans want to become a Major Political Party

Last edited:
Absolutely wrong in parallel (the teabaggers had more in common with Southern secessionists then the overall Democratic Party in 1860) and wrong in suggestion (in fact, the teabaggers in the news because the teabaggers make sure the media follow them with outlandish behavior and statements).

The mainstream GOP leaders want nothing to do with the Teabagger events, though they do want Teabagger votes, so the problem becomes metaphorically how to do get that particular elephant under the tent without the insects, smell, and crap.

The party that opposed civil rights, the guys carrying those signs during the early 1960's who were opposed to desegregation were Democrats.
During the early 1960's, most blacks that voted(were allowed to vote) were republicans.
Propaganda alert.
Our two party system has always sucked. During the 1960's the positions of our current parties changed.
Know history, it is always repeated.
The party that wanted to continue slavery in the mid-nineteenth century was the democrats.
George Washington himself warned us about the two party system and the 'tyranny of democracy'.
Historically, your pictures are nice. However, it looks like they are simply propaganda today. Those people belonged to parties that have changed so much they no longer exist.
Propaganda still exits.
The two party system is bad for our country.
Never vote for the incumbent! Make change, real change, never vote for the incumbent!

Absolutely wrong in parallel (the teabaggers had more in common with Southern secessionists then the overall Democratic Party in 1860) and wrong in suggestion (in fact, the teabaggers in the news because the teabaggers make sure the media follow them with outlandish behavior and statements).

The mainstream GOP leaders want nothing to do with the Teabagger events, though they do want Teabagger votes, so the problem becomes metaphorically how to do get that particular elephant under the tent without the insects, smell, and crap.

Correction:

"The Libertarian leaders want nothing to do with the Republican and Democrat events, though they do want Republican and Democrat votes, so the problem becomes metaphorically how to do get these particular elephants and donkeys under the tent without the insects, smell, and crap."

I stand corrected.

And I will add one will never be able to the insects, smell, and crap off the Libertarians.

In 1853 the republican party was formed to stand against slavery. The democratic party of the time was pro-slavery and made up mostly of the wealthy business men. Even if these men did not personally own slaves, they owned investments that depended on slavery to make a profit. The republican party elected a president in 1860 by organizing the 'common man'. The election of 1860 was a kind of class war, rich voted democratic(or know-nothing) and the poor voted republican. The democrats at the time, led by James Buchanan, stated during the mid term elections of 1858 that electing a republican to president would lead to civil war. Then they proceeded to make that prophecy come true.
The south remained democratic for almost a hundred years. During the civil rights movement of the 1960's, most of the south was under democratic control.

The party that opposed civil rights, the guys carrying those signs during the early 1960's who were opposed to desegregation were Democrats.
During the early 1960's, most blacks that voted(were allowed to vote) were republicans.
Propaganda alert.

Back then there were actually Liberal Republicans (Rockefeller) and Conservative Democrats ( George Wallace). Civil rights were more of a North-South issue than a Democrat-Republican issue

Interesting how the Southern racists used the same signs as the teabaggers though

Propaganda alert.

Back then there were actually Liberal Republicans (Rockefeller) and Conservative Democrats ( George Wallace). Civil rights were more of a North-South issue than a Democrat-Republican issue

Interesting how the Southern racists used the same signs as the teabaggers though

I offer the opinion that our current two-party system has caused our government in general to decline so as to appeal to the lowest 'common denominator'.

Propaganda alert.

I don't see "the same signs" in the pics you posted.

If carrying signs is the only similarity that can be found between protesters of integration, and protesters of government spending fueled by the ability to print money and destroy the value of the dollar, then the comparison isn't just silly. It has an insidious (or more likely, ignorant) motive: To maintain a failing two party status quo......because?

Why? It is simple to understand? Is it so much easier to maintain an US vs. Them mentality than to admit that Niether has done a very good job?

Forum List

Back