Tea Party in Maine Report

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
Governor Paul LePage says some of Maine's communities are on the verge of bankruptcy.

"There are several states that I was reading this week that are teetering on default with municipal bonds. They are Texas, New Jersey, and New York. And folks, we're only a few numbers behind them. Because whether or not the state defaults, we had a couple of communities that are ready to default. So, folks, it is a lot more serious than anybody is willing to give it credit," said LePage.

In the meantime, the Maine Municipal Association says it's not aware of any Maine town in danger of going bankrupt.
But the Govenor's office says it is true. Still, it does not plan to release certain information.

What? The Governor tells the citizens of Maine that some municpalities are going broke, and then refuses to tell us which ones are?!

Wait, it gets even more confusing

The Governor's budget would provide Maine's cities and towns with an additional $90 million in funding over the next two years," said Dan Demeritt with the Governor's office.

Okay sounds good, right?

But wait...look at this:

However, municipal revenue sharing is expected to go down from 2010 to to 2011 and then back up but still not to current levels.

source

I think Maine's new governor isn't quite up to the task of dealing with the public.

That or he is completely clueless about the problems realy facing this state.

the municipalities are going broke because for years the STATE OF MAINE has not lived up to its contractual obligations to return some of the tax dollars back to the municipalities.

and while he says he's doing to help these unidentified municipalities, the state budget is NOT in a position to even pay the bills that it is currently on the hook for.

This is, in my opinion, not an example of good leadership.

Forum List

Back