Tea Party Group Demand Textbooks Say Nice Things About Slave Owners

By Trymaine Lee

A little more than a year after the conservative-led state board of education in Texas approved massive changes to its school textbooks to put slavery in a more positive light, a group of Tea Party activists in Tennessee has renewed its push to whitewash school textbooks. The group is seeking to remove references to slavery and mentions of the country's founders being slave owners.

According to reports, Hal Rounds, the Fayette County attorney and spokesman for the group, said during a recent news conference that there has been "an awful lot of made-up criticism about, for instance, the founders intruding on the Indians or having slaves or being hypocrites in one way or another."

"The thing we need to focus on about the founders is that, given the social structure of their time, they were revolutionaries who brought liberty into a world where it hadn't existed, to everybody -- not all equally instantly -- and it was their progress that we need to look at," Rounds said, according to The Commercial Appeal.

During the news conference more than two dozen Tea Party activists handed out material that said, "Neglect and outright ill will have distorted the teaching of the history and character of the United States. We seek to compel the teaching of students in Tennessee the truth regarding the history of our nation and the nature of its government."

And that further teaching would also include that "the Constitution created a Republic, not a Democracy."

The group demanded, as they had in January of last year, that Tennessee lawmakers change state laws governing school curricula. The group called for textbook selection criteria to include: "No portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership."

More: Tea Party Groups In Tennessee Demand Textbooks Overlook U.S. Founder's Slave-Owning History

Supporting Links:

Tennessee Tea Parties demand textbooks contain no mean things about Founding Fathers - Tea Parties - Salon.com

Tea parties issue demands to Tennessee legislators » The Commercial Appeal

You know what's missing from all three articles????????

EVIDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

All we see is claims that the Tea Party wants this. No pdfs with actual documents. No back up of the actual claims.

NO EVIDENCE THIS IS ACTUALLY THE TEA PARTY and not the typical liberals trying to look like Tea Party.

I call BS.

:eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

Do you dispute that Hal Rounds is a real tea partier, and tea party spokesman?

Nobody can defend slavery. Thank goodness. One day my flagpole might fly something other than the Polish flag. (its upside down of course)

In the end I doubt the tea party is defending slavery. While I view them as a radical group I surely dont see them supporting slavery. Nobody can justify it. They know that. I dont trust the H post any more than I trust the wall st journal.

Blacks loved slaves as much as anyone else. It was the deal at the time.

Big one is First Nations. Crap. One tribe would raid another tribe just to get slaves.

That was the deal. No unions, just slaves.

Slavery existed long before people came to America. No one cares about that, though.

You know what's missing from all three articles????????

EVIDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

All we see is claims that the Tea Party wants this. No pdfs with actual documents. No back up of the actual claims.

NO EVIDENCE THIS IS ACTUALLY THE TEA PARTY and not the typical liberals trying to look like Tea Party.

I call BS.

:eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar::eusa_liar:

Do you dispute that Hal Rounds is a real tea partier, and tea party spokesman?

YES, and if he claims he's from the Tea Party... he doesn't SPEAK for me...

Black slave owners were kind to theirs.

And?

Yes. There is so much historical evidence that EVERY slave owner was good to their slaves.

Where is this crap coming from. There is a reason that many African Americans have been bitter about this for generations.

It was all in their heads? PLEASE tell me that this isn't the direction that this country is going. Fortunately, it seems to be coming from the fringes.

Nobody can defend slavery. Thank goodness. One day my flagpole might fly something other than the Polish flag. (its upside down of course)

I don't get it. Maybe that's the cloth we are cut from. But I never got it. I'm as conservative as they come and I know many a good liberal and none of us have ever dreamed of owning another person.

It's beyond our thought process and I mean this left and right. Well good men and women. It's insane.

"It was the deal at the time. "

I could care less. It should be simply taught as a TERRIBLE time and a bunch of STUPID people (including those founding fathers who owned them) thought it was OK. Know what? It wasnt. So teach it that way. To heck with the south and what they thought. They were wrong in every sense of defending slavery.

And?

Yes. There is so much historical evidence that EVERY slave owner was good to their slaves.

Where is this crap coming from. There is a reason that many African Americans have been bitter about this for generations.

It was all in their heads? PLEASE tell me that this isn't the direction that this country is going. Fortunately, it seems to be coming from the fringes.

It's not right when you take a quote and decimate it. It's not right at all to do that.

Not right at all.

IF the Tea Party isn't racist, why do they want to "whitewash" history?

You are such a liar dude, They want the Full History taught and not just the Dumbed down Liberal Version that says Slave Owners were Evil Trash, and Indians were all Divine Peaceful Noble People that never killed a white man for any other reason other than Self Defense.

You are the one who wants to Wash History. Wash it of the full truth and present your Personal Vision of it. Hell Some people think it is Racists to even Point out that when White people went to Africa to get slaves, Most of the time they did not catch them themselves. They Bought them, From Other African Blacks!!!! But try pointing that out and you are just a racist who longs for the days of Slavery according to most Libs.

Charles, no matter how you want to change history, you cannot. And anybody that knows any history at all knows of the slave trade in Africa, understands the intertribal wars among the Native Americans.

Using those facts to excuse our own evils is hardly a defense that one can admire. We had slaves in this nation, and even after emancipation, treated our Americans with African heritage in a shameful manner. We took this nation from the Native Americans by force of arms, and then practiced genocide on them in many places. You cannot change either fact, and the sad excuses you are presenting is reminiscent of the the thief that claims "Well, everybody else is doing it".

And?

So where most White Slave owners in the South, Despite the Liberal Propaganda that has everyone believing Every Single Person in the South was a Slave Owning, Slave Beating, Slave raping asshole.

that's kinda the point. Our Current Curriculum has been washed so much to the Left that it Portrays Issues like Slavery, the Civil War, and What happened to the Indians. As easy to understand, Black and white issues. With one side being a bunch of EVIL demons who should have been killed, and the other side being All that is right, And Holy in the world.

Liberals even Object to any Mention of the Fact that Indians often Attacked and killed whites, Whites who had done nothing at all to an Indian and in fact had never seen one. They don't want you to talk about how Indians used to Fight each other in Bloody, and Brutal Wars. They Basic Message is Whites were Evil, and everyone else is wonderful.

Take slavery for example. Most liberals make it sound like every person in the south was a Slave Owner, who beat Black people when ever they saw them. The Truth was less than 20% ever Owned a slave, and The Vast Majority of Slave Owners did in fact treat their Slaves well. If only because it does not make much Economic Sense to Beat your Property to hell, Nor is it a great Motivator in the Long run. Sure there were Bad ones, Often the people Slave Owners Hired to run things was the abuser, But it clearly is not as black and white as they teach it in school today.

The Basic Message of the Civil war is entirely one sided in School today. The way they teach it, It was a war over slavery with all Nobel and great people on one side, against all evil and dirty people on the other.

Fact is even after the war, Many blacks moved North to find they were actually treated better back South. The Same still holds true today. I have related more than once a story about when I was driving truck with a Black Trainer. We went all over the country and I saw, and he confirmed that the most open Racism and Clear special Treatment we saw toward him was in the North, Not the south.

This Argument is not about whether or not to teach slavery was "good" That just the latest Liberal Talking point.

it's about teaching the whole truth and letting people truly understand what happened, and not just get a Cliff Notes Version that Stresses only the Darker sides of what went down, and over simplifies it all.

Old Rocks you are PERFECTLY CORRECT. Facts are facts and some want to still defend it. Anti freedom people.

"It was the deal at the time. "

I could care less. It should be simply taught as a TERRIBLE time and a bunch of STUPID people (including those founding fathers who owned them) thought it was OK. Know what? It wasnt. So teach it that way. To heck with the south and what they thought. They were wrong in every sense of defending slavery.

So what the fuck are you doing about muslim slavery in africa today bucko?

What are you doing?

You know what I do? I fucking fight it daily. Did you even fucking know about the slave trade that continues daily in Africa.

Muslims trade men and women daily.

Every fucking day.

So come at me kid. What do you do about the current slave trade in Africa? I'm a major player punk.

What do you do daily? I can't wait to hear your response.

Holy shit, more organized whitewashing of American history by wingnuts.

The first step to being honest with others is being honest with yourself.

THIS is the statement that angered you the most:

And that further teaching would also include that "the Constitution created a Republic, not a Democracy."

:eusa_whistle:

"The Truth was less than 20% ever Owned a slave, and The Vast Majority of Slave Owners did in fact treat their Slaves well. "

I dont care if they treated them well. Slavery in every sense is wrong, was always WRONG, and CANNOT be defended. Thats the way any intelligent textbook would discuss it. Anything else is utter stupidity. You cannot OWN another person. That is plain SICK and TWISTED and I have ZERO respect for ANY person who ever thought it was even marginally OK.

IF the Tea Party isn't racist, why do they want to "whitewash" history?

You are such a liar dude, They want the Full History taught and not just the Dumbed down Liberal Version that says Slave Owners were Evil Trash, and Indians were all Divine Peaceful Noble People that never killed a white man for any other reason other than Self Defense.

You are the one who wants to Wash History. Wash it of the full truth and present your Personal Vision of it. Hell Some people think it is Racists to even Point out that when White people went to Africa to get slaves, Most of the time they did not catch them themselves. They Bought them, From Other African Blacks!!!! But try pointing that out and you are just a racist who longs for the days of Slavery according to most Libs.

Charles, no matter how you want to change history, you cannot. And anybody that knows any history at all knows of the slave trade in Africa, understands the intertribal wars among the Native Americans.

Using those facts to excuse our own evils is hardly a defense that one can admire. We had slaves in this nation, and even after emancipation, treated our Americans with African heritage in a shameful manner. We took this nation from the Native Americans by force of arms, and then practiced genocide on them in many places. You cannot change either fact, and the sad excuses you are presenting is reminiscent of the the thief that claims "Well, everybody else is doing it".

I am not excusing anything. That's the problem with you guys you assume so much. I am saying is that what they are asking to have taught is a little context.

You basically just stated everything our kids learn about what happened in this sentence

"We had slaves in this nation, and even after emancipation, treated our Americans with African heritage in a shameful manner. We took this nation from the Native Americans by force of arms, and then practiced genocide on them in many places."

The Fact that you and so many others simplify what happened to that is exactly the problem here, and what I believe they want changed. You guys are acting like we do not already teach kids that what we did was bad, and we treated Black horrible. We do teach them that, That is basically all we teach them, and that is the Point.

You act like every white person killed Indians and was Evil when the VAST majority lived back east never saw an Indian and had no idea other than what the People doing the killing told them about what was really going on.

Duh!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back