Tea Party: follow the money

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
who or what is making money off the for profit tea party?

The Tea Party Convention is over. But the war it started is apparently just getting under way. Yesterday, Bill Hemrick, a conservative fund-raiser and the founder of the Upper Deck baseball trading-card company, sued the for-profit convention’s organizer, Judson Phillips, in Williamson County Circuit Court in Tennessee, in a dispute over Sarah Palin’s speaking fee. When Palin agreed to deliver the keynote address at the convention, it put the event in the news. And it was Hemrick, all agree, who provided the $50,000 down payment for Palin’s $100,000 speaking fee. In the suit, Hemrick claims that Phillips had agreed that, in return for helping to close the deal with Palin, Phillips would assist Hemrick with his National Fiscal Conservative Political Action Committee. But after taking the money, Phillips didn’t live up to his part of the deal, and even barred Hemrick from attending the event at all. Hemrick is seeking a minimum of $500,000 in damages and asserts that Phillips defamed him by badmouthing him after their falling-out over Palin.

In the run-up to the convention, as its for-profit status and Palin’s fee (she’s since said she’s donating it to charity) attracted unwelcome attention, Phillips claimed that Hemrick was the mercenary; he said he barred Hemrick from the convention because Hemrick had planned to pitch Palin on a business opportunity he needed help with. But others tell a different story. According to Anthony Shreeve, a tea-party activist who had been involved in the early planning of the Nashville convention, and who also fell out with Phillips, Hemrick was instrumental in getting Palin to agree to be the keynote speaker. Phillips and his wife, who conceived of the convention, didn’t have the funds to cover Palin’s speaking agreement, so they turned to Hemrick, who donates frequently to Republican
causes:

read more: Tea Party organizer sued over Sarah Palin's speaking fees | Crooks and Liars

The company organizing the convention was a 'for profit' business. Ohhhhhhhhhhh! The Faux Outrage! OMG! Profit!!!!!! Eeeeeek!

the tpm is about money....i have no problem with profit but dont pretend to be a grass roots movement when you are all about making money....

“There are a lot of questions about money and where all the money has gone,” said Erick Erickson, editor of the influential conservative blog RedState.com, which has emerged as both chronicler of — and guide for — the tea party movement.

Conservative bloggers and activists have at times accused some tea party organizers of poor budgeting, wasting money on flashy initiatives like cross-country bus tours that critics say don’t do much to advance the cause, or — worse — using cash raised from activists to pad their groups’ coffers or their own wallets.

Tea parties emerge as revenue stream - POLITICO.com Print View

plus isnt it wrong to pretend to raise money for one cause then use it for another?

the thing at the strip clubs....when you give employees credit cards.....things happen....it was just plain ignorance on the part of the people using the credit card to leave that paper trail....but i think people jumping on the tpm bandwagon need to realize that its not a real grass roots movement but a for profit organization.

the thing at the strip clubs....when you give employees credit cards.....things happen....it was just plain ignorance on the part of the people using the credit card to leave that paper trail....but i think people jumping on the tpm bandwagon need to realize that its not a real grass roots movement but a for profit organization.

we should be glad something in the US of KKKA is capable of making a profit huh dry bones?

is that how you mumble when you got nothing left to say?

why hasnt the organization gone non profit? i am just so curious as to where the money is going....

face it..if this was a left wing org....yall would be asking the same...dont deny it....and why shouldnt one ask where the money is going? hell i would like all of them to explain that....campaign finance reform is desperately needed

i got no problem with them making money just dont pretend to be something you are not...they could care less about voters etc...they are just chasing the green....

soggy if you will read the post where i state...we should follow all of them and find out where the money goes....campaign finance reform was mentioned....

soggy if you will read the post where i state...we should follow all of them and find out where the money goes....campaign finance reform was mentioned....

I'll tell you why I despair of this kind of thing. No one bothers to research it for themselves. They rely on regurgitating crap from the media and assuming that it is factually accurate. It may be. It may not be. Simply put, it would be great if people learned not to blindly accept whatever shit the media put out.

Having said that, the TEA parties are a political movement, not a political party. As such, I have no doubt that there is bad accounting - and dishonest accounting - and profiteering - within it.

That does not make the issues any less legitimate. In fact, I'm more interested in why so many in the media are so concerned with destroying its reputation. That, to me, is far more interesting. Why are the media so concerned with the TEA Parties - if all they are is a small minority of racists?

I'll tell you why I despair of this kind of thing. No one bothers to research it for themselves. They rely on regurgitating crap from the media and assuming that it is factually accurate. It may be. It may not be. Simply put, it would be great if people learned not to blindly accept whatever shit the media put out.

Having said that, the TEA parties are a political movement, not a political party. As such, I have no doubt that there is bad accounting - and dishonest accounting - and profiteering - within it.

That does not make the issues any less legitimate. In fact, I'm more interested in why so many in the media are so concerned with destroying its reputation. That, to me, is far more interesting. Why are the media so concerned with the TEA Parties - if all they are is a small minority of racists?

Because they've made themselves visible and controversial with both their message and some groups' complete lack of control over that message. That makes them an automatic story, like it or not. And what sells, warm fuzzies or exposes?

That said, I have no particular problem with the tea partiers in general. However some of these groups of "organizers" and "activists" are clearly not what they claim to be. Watching where the money people donate to political causes actually goes is one of the reasons for having the Fourth Estate and a free press in the first place, is it not? Even when they do such a lazy piss poor job across the board, they still occasionally manage to get something right.

And if you want to look for who is feeding lines to the blowdried sheep in the media, look no further than the people who have the most to lose if the tea parties are actually successful. And I hate to break it to y'all but that ain't the DNC. Whose donors and voters are absconding (or maybe not) to the tea party movement? :eusa_think:

Perhaps because the GOP has now aligned itself with them?

Because so much of their talking points are fucking out right lies.

Yeah I think thats it.

No national movement I can think of has ever really been grass roots.

It takes MONEY to organize a spontaneous uprising of popular discontent, folks.

The discontent might be home grown and real enough, but the organization it takes to harness that discontent ain't cheap.

Last edited:
When people are scared angry frustrated, they form groups.

The world consists of three primitive concepts; money power sex

all groups contain one or more of these qualities

New Topics

Forum List

Back