Tea Party Favorite Angle: We should be like Chile!

I'm saying that the motivations of those wrapping their shameless partisan hack "news story" around the quote are beyond obvious...As are yours.

Y'all should just give up on the pretense that you're any better than nutbar republicans.

I'm saying that the motivations of those wrapping their shameless partisan hack "news story" around the quote are beyond obvious...As are yours.

This "candidate" for Congress is advocating that 1)the elimination of social security or 2) designing our system after the failed privatization model of Chile....depends on which one her websites you visit. This is news.

Good....At least she's suggesting something, rather than just running for the tall grass or dodging with inane platitudes about how the doomed Ponzi scheme can be saved...Because it can't be saved.

But then again, I'm not a demopublicratican party man hack, so I can see reality for what it is, and not poop myself because someone proposes doing something other than nothing.

I think it is a good idea. It is much more viable than ours currently.

I don't know if I'd force people into it but I certainly would make it an option.

Amen.

Even with the stock market downturn of recent years, if Americans had invested privately in a retirement program akin to what the government takes from us via social security some 20 years ago they would be way ahead of what the pissant little amount that we get trickled down our way from the current disaster known as social security...

Good....At least she's suggesting something, rather than just running for the tall grass or dodging with inane platitudes about how the doomed Ponzi scheme can be saved...Because it can't be saved.

But then again, I'm not a demopublicratican party man hack, so I can see reality for what it is, and not poop myself because someone proposes doing something other than nothing.

YUP.

Oh how the liberals pant n whine when someone actually comes out and simply states that the social security system is a mess - a total mess.

No, it's better to just smile and nod and tell the old folks all is well - and there are far too many Dems n Repubs that have done that for way too long.

Social Security and Medicare are decimating the country - we need more leaders willing to propose actual fixes/replacements/alternatives.

Nope. SS is doing fine. And the way to make it permenantly solvent is to make the 6.2% that I pay apply to all income.

After watching what happened to the market in 2008 nobody but a whackaloon would want to have everyone in a private system subject to the same thieves that created the crash. Of course, most of the libertarians and teabaggers on this board are certified whackaloons, in any case.

Question: I hear that Social Security is in financial trouble? Why?

Answer: It is true that Social Security benefits are experiencing financing problems, and while this will not affect today's retirees and near-retirees, the problems are very serious. People live longer, the first baby boomers are five years from retirement, and the birth rate is low.

This results in a large drop in the worker-to-beneficiary ratio. For example, in 1950 the worker-to-beneficiary ratio was 16-to-one. Currently the ratio is 3.3-to-one, and within 40 years it will be 2-to-1.

At this rate of decline there will not be enough workers to pay scheduled benefits at current tax rates.

location here

It's true that Social Security benefits are in serious financial trouble.

To help you understand the problems and learn which solutions are being considered, here's a list of frequently asked questions about the future of Social Security.

Q: I hear that Social Security is in financial trouble? Why?

A: It is true that Social Security benefits are experiencing financing problems, and while this will not affect today's retirees and near-retirees, the problems are very serious. People live longer, the first baby boomers are five years from retirement, and the birth rate is low.

This results in a large drop in the worker-to-beneficiary ratio. For example, in 1950 the worker-to-beneficiary ratio was 16-to-one. Currently the ratio is 3.3-to-one, and within 40 years it will be 2-to-1. At this rate of decline there will not be enough workers to pay scheduled benefits at current tax rates.

Q: How big is the future problem?

A: Plain and simple, without a large infusion of additional revenue, Social Security benefits are not sustainable over the long term. There will be a massive and growing shortfall over the next 75 years.

Q: What will happen if Social Security is not changed?

A: If Social Security is not changed, payroll taxes will have to be increased, the benefits of today's younger workers will have to be cut, or massive transfers from general revenues will be required.

Q: What are the alternatives are being considered to improve the status of Social Security benefits?

A: Four basic alternatives are being considered, either individually or in combination:

Increasing payroll taxes

Decreasing benefits

Using general revenues

“Prefunding” future benefits through either voluntary personal savings accounts or direct investments of the trust funds

Q: What is a voluntary personal retirement account?

A: Among the proposals being considered is to model a personal savings account plan for Social Security after the federal government's Thrift Savings Plan for federal employees and members of Congress. This plan provides a choice of five diversified, low-cost mutual funds.

Q: Does President Bush have a specific plan to modernize and reform the Social Security benefit program?

A: No. The President has not presented a specific plan to reform Social Security. He has established principles for reform that include preserving Social Security benefits for current retirees and near-retirees; not increasing Social Security taxes, and encouraging individuals to create voluntary personal retirement accounts to augment Social Security benefits in the future.

Q: I am now retired and I receive a monthly Social Security benefit check. Will my monthly payments be cut?

A: There are no plans to cut benefits for current retirees, and the Social Security Administration {SSA} says that Social Security benefits will continue to be increased each year with inflation.

Q: I plan to retire in five to 10 years. Can I expect to receive my presently scheduled Social Security benefits at that time?

A: According to the SSA, many reform plans, including the plans from the President's Commission to Strengthen Social Security, preserve scheduled benefits and cost- of-living increases for near-retirees. Depending on the proposal, a "near-retiree" is defined as someone aged 50 to 55 and older.

More here

Forum List

Back