Tea Party - Don't let renters vote.

i know its possible to get a refund over and above what you paid in taxes even if you don't have kids. but you really really really don't make much money during the year in order to get it. same thing happened to me when i had my first job when i was 15.

i know its possible to get a refund over and above what you paid in taxes even if you don't have kids. but you really really really don't make much money during the year in order to get it. same thing happened to me when i had my first job when i was 15.
How? My kids have been on the company payroll since they were old enough to empty the trash. They were always paid a low wage so they didn't get taxes deducted (other than FICA) and they never got a "refund" ...

i think i got back like $75. posting from my dumb-phone right now, so i can't link to anything, but i'll make up some bogus numbers and run them through turbo tax tonight. or someone else can do the same thing. turbotax online is free.

i think i got back like $75. posting from my dumb-phone right now, so i can't link to anything, but i'll make up some bogus numbers and run them through turbo tax tonight. or someone else can do the same thing. turbotax online is free.
Okay...I'll look forward to your scenario. Methinks you are misremembering but I have no problem being proved wrong.

ravi...i don't really remember how. i'll make up some stuff 2nite and run it through turbotax. i was a fulltime student tho, maybe that played into the equation?

There are a set of nationally agreed principles. This specific person made a comment - for which we have no context. How can anyone honestly debate it without context? *Emphasis on the word 'honestly'*

At least one poster on here agreed with the position. That is why I responded to him.

Oddball has made this argument before.

It's a lame argument.

As the military pays for housing, most service members are not property owners. The rare exception being senior officers and enlisted men who have bought property as an investment.

This would basically disenfranchise the very people that are supposed to be fighting for this ideal.

Nice.

Good to see it's just all about the Benjamins to some people.

The rest "don't deserve a say", no matter how much blood, sweat, and tears they have shed.

ravi...i don't really remember how. i'll make up some stuff 2nite and run it through turbotax. i was a fulltime student tho, maybe that played into the equation?
At 15...you'd have been in high school? I don't think that would qualify. I know when I was working at fifteen I got a refund the first year because I filled out my W4 incorrectly and had too much deducted from my check.

In high school? My first employer didn't believe there was any such thing as "exempt" and withheld taxes even though I never made enough in a single year that they should have been. So of course every year I got a refund. But I don't remember getting more than I'd paid. Things change so much every year though, if it doesn't apply to me I can't keep up.

Now I get a refund, but I have the kiddos.

There are a set of nationally agreed principles. This specific person made a comment - for which we have no context. How can anyone honestly debate it without context? *Emphasis on the word 'honestly'*

At least one poster on here agreed with the position. That is why I responded to him.

Look at the thread title. If we start off from a dishonest point, how does anyone discuss the subject. Honesty is fundamental to legitimate discussion. Which is why I often mock the idea that USMB provides a platform for such debate. With the freedom that this board allows (and huge high five to Gunny and the team for that), the price we pay is to forego honesty.

In high school? My first employer didn't believe there was any such thing as "exempt" and withheld taxes even though I never made enough in a single year that they should have been. So of course every year I got a refund. But I don't remember getting more than I'd paid. Things change so much every year though, if it doesn't apply to me I can't keep up.

The mortgage is paid off. I have no deductions. No dependents. I make <$250,000. And yet every year I pay taxes.

I must be rich! The Republicans tell me so.

The mortgage is paid off. I have no deductions. No dependents. I make <$250,000. And yet every year I pay taxes.

I must be rich! The Republicans tell me so.

Just because I get a refund doesn't mean it's equal to or greater than the amount I paid in during the year. :lol:

And....I am in a temporary situation and will probably be moving before too long. Which I knew when I moved here, so I rent. Buying would have been stupid and pointless to hold it for a period of only a few years then turn around and sell it. But don't tell anybody, they might take my registration card away. Because since I'm not landed gentry I have, as you know, no ties to or interest in the community where I live, work and serve and accordingly don't deserve representation. ;)

The only way that I know of that this could be possible is if he was receiving earned income tax credits...and he'd have to have a child to receive them.

Sorry, I doubt the story.

Of course you do. Reality conflicts with your ideology quite a bit. I know my twin brother well and know him to tell the truth.
:lol: Then provide a link showing how someone can get a refund without an earned income credit.

Sorry, no. I have a day job and post when I have a minute here and there. I can't go do a bunch of research to prove to you what my twin brother actually had happen in real life. You don't have to believe him. I choose to.

Of course you do. Reality conflicts with your ideology quite a bit. I know my twin brother well and know him to tell the truth.
:lol: Then provide a link showing how someone can get a refund without an earned income credit.

Sorry, no. I have a day job and post when I have a minute here and there. I can't go do a bunch of research to prove to you what my twin brother actually had happen in real life. You don't have to believe him. I choose to.
I did some research and it is possible he benefited from a one time economic stimulus payment.

Economic Stimulus Payment Information Center

Though it would be odd if your brother hadn't explained that part to you.

I did some research and it is possible he benefited from a one time economic stimulus payment.

Economic Stimulus Payment Information Center

Though it would be odd if your brother hadn't explained that part to you.

Possible, but I don't think so. That was the "Bush, let's borrow money from China and cut everyone a check and say it is a tax refund smoke and mirrors" stimulus program. Most people bought Chinese made goods at Walmart with those checks.

Theoretically you can receive up to $400 this year if you made the right amount last year by using the "Making work pay" credit. Even then you will still be eligible for Earned income credit. If you made less than $9350 last year you and you claim just yourself you will pay no taxes and get more back than you paid. Depending on where you fall in the table I beleive you can get back in excess of $500 more.

Look at the thread title. If we start off from a dishonest point, how does anyone discuss the subject. Honesty is fundamental to legitimate discussion. Which is why I often mock the idea that USMB provides a platform for such debate. With the freedom that this board allows (and huge high five to Gunny and the team for that), the price we pay is to forego honesty.

Again, my comments were directed to the appropriate people. If other people want to jump on me for responding to the posts of actual posters on this thread, they should go back to the beginning and see what I was actually talking about.

I realize the thread title is disingenuous. I was responding to a single poster who thought the idea of restricting votes to property owners was a good idea.

Excuse me. Can I just point out that - absolutely nowhere in that quote from the TP Nation does it say anything about not letting renters vote. Not one. At least, not in the quote provided.

Here’s a new Tea Party plank: Don’t let renters vote.

“The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

Where in that quote does he say we should not allow renters to vote? Nowhere.

You are using the FOX No News reasoning again. How does it feel to live under a rock?

Forget stopping them from voting...stop feeding them...the will BREED!

South Carolina Lt. Governor Andre Bauer, who hopes to succeed fellow Republican Mark Sanford as his state's governor, drew a comparison between government help for poor people and "feeding stray animals" – who, he noted, "breed."

"My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals," Bauer said during a town hall meeting, as the Greenville News reported over the weekend. "You know why? Because they breed. You're facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don't think too much further than that. And so what you've got to do is you've got to curtail that type of behavior. They don't know any better."

S.C. Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer Compares Helping Poor to Feeding Stray Animals - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Conservatism is incompatible with democracy, prosperity, and civilization in general. It is a destructive system of inequality and prejudice that is founded on deception and has no place in the modern world. In nearly every urbanized society throughout human history, there have been people who have tried to constitute themselves as an aristocracy. These people and their allies are conservatives.

Forum List

Back