Tea Party - Don't let renters vote.

Like I said, the Tea Baggers are America's best hope for returning to the 19th century.

And you would be right.... but you are not. You are wrong, and, if you bother to read the actual quote and think critically about it.... the TEA Parties have not said that renters should not be allowed to vote. It is, yet again, fucking bullshit.

Excuse me. Can I just point out that - absolutely nowhere in that quote from the TP Nation does it say anything about not letting renters vote. Not one. At least, not in the quote provided.

Here’s a new Tea Party plank: Don’t let renters vote.

“The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

Where in that quote does he say we should not allow renters to vote? Nowhere.

The whole quote says it.

Excuse me. Can I just point out that - absolutely nowhere in that quote from the TP Nation does it say anything about not letting renters vote. Not one. At least, not in the quote provided.

“The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

The whole quote says it.

No it does not. Particularly since he clarified it with 'obviously would not think about that today. Furthermore, we have no context for the quote, ie was it in response to a specific question about that particular subject, etc. Without context, one cannot justifiably state that this is a valid point or not. I am, however, unsurprised that the unthinking will take it as something it is not.

The whole quote says it.

No it does not. Particularly since he clarified it with 'obviously would not think about that today. Furthermore, we have no context for the quote, ie was it in response to a specific question about that particular subject, etc. Without context, one cannot justifiably state that this is a valid point or not. I am, however, unsurprised that the unthinking will take it as something it is not.

Sure it does.

And why bring it up?

The founders didn't let any non-white male property owners..vote.

Do these people want to go back to that?

The whole quote says it.

Sure it does.

And why bring it up?

That's actually my point. Why was it brought up? We have no context as to how the comment was made, so we cannot judge it as one thing or another. What we can say, without doubt, is that he very clearly stated that it would not be something acceptable today. You can ignore those words if you want, but I choose honesty over spin.

Sure it does.

And why bring it up?

That's actually my point. Why was it brought up? We have no context as to how the comment was made, so we cannot judge it as one thing or another. What we can say, without doubt, is that he very clearly stated that it would not be something acceptable today. You can ignore those words if you want, but I choose honesty over spin.

The "context" is it seems to be a thing among Conservatives to limit the right to vote. Heck..they don't even consider it a "right". And this is a well worn "issue" that shouldn't even be an issue. It is the responsibility of every American Citizen to participate in the Government..and I don't care what your political affliation happens to be.

It should be a law that everyone votes..like Jury Duty.

no what he means is that statistics-wise more do. so by eliminateing this group en mass his target is greatly weakened. similar to the florida elections. it used to be (as per athenian democracy) that you had to be a landed white male to vote. this is a regressive step back to the proto-democracies which were in reality plutocracies or oligarchies. (see HG wells in his historical outline)

Sure it does.

And why bring it up?

The "context" is it seems to be a thing among Conservatives to limit the right to vote. Heck..they don't even consider it a "right". And this is a well worn "issue" that shouldn't even be an issue. It is the responsibility of every American Citizen to participate in the Government..and I don't care what your political affliation happens to be.

It should be a law that everyone votes..like Jury Duty.

You don't know the 'context' because the article has not provided the 'context'. Therefore, we do not know whether it was in response to a specific question or comment about the issue. Without that 'context' (which is actually vital to really understand the comment), it is spin. Surely you are smart enough to understand that basic fact?

no. voting cannot be mandatory. that merely validates corrupt systems like ours by giving legitamacy to a total hack. if you have two choices that both suck with mandatory voting the lesser evil winning APPEARS to have popular consent. the lack of voting accurately shows a lack of faith in the system

This thread is a great example of how a lack of 'critical thinking' affects a person's view of what they read.

I can't figure out what some of these people think they are reading......

To be honest, nor can I. It seems very obvious to me that we should question the context of the comment, and read the actual words and not what we think the person said. Sadly, it appears that these basic steps are beyond the intellectual capabilities of some posters.

Renters don't have a vested interest in their community?

What next, the teapartiers wanting to take the vote away from women and blacks?
They are already laying the groundwork of blame for what ails this great country on the women's vote!!!

August 8, 2008
RUSH: Now we're told the night Hillary speaks is the anniversary of women getting the vote, which is what started the welfare state that now strangles us, by the way. If women had never gotten the vote we wouldn't have a budget deficit, but that's another story.

They are already laying the groundwork of blame for what ails this great country on the women's vote!!!

August 8, 2008
RUSH: Now we're told the night Hillary speaks is the anniversary of women getting the vote, which is what started the welfare state that now strangles us, by the way. If women had never gotten the vote we wouldn't have a budget deficit, but that's another story.

Classic lefty spin! :lol::lol: You're too fucking funny, ed. You claim the status of 'cynic' and show absolutely no cynicism towards the left.... only the right. Some fucking 'cynic'. :lol:

August 8, 2008

Classic lefty spin! :lol::lol: You're too fucking funny, ed. You claim the status of 'cynic' and show absolutely no cynicism towards the left.... only the right. Some fucking 'cynic'. :lol:
Show me where the Left blames America's problems on a woman's right to vote and I'll gladly bash them for their woman-hating also.

August 29, 2008
PALIN: To serve as vice president beside such a man would be the privilege of a lifetime, and it's fitting that this trust has been given to me 88 years -- almost to the day -- after the women of America first gained the right to vote. (cheers and applause)

RUSH: Right on, right on, right on. They also gave us the welfare state, but that's (grumbles).

August 8, 2008

Show me where the Left blames America's problems on a woman's right to vote and I'll gladly bash them for their woman-hating also.

August 29, 2008
PALIN: To serve as vice president beside such a man would be the privilege of a lifetime, and it's fitting that this trust has been given to me 88 years -- almost to the day -- after the women of America first gained the right to vote. (cheers and applause)

RUSH: Right on, right on, right on. They also gave us the welfare state, but that's (grumbles).

The subject of this thread is the quote about renters, not Rush or Palin or anyone else's opinion on female voters. You're moving of the goal posts is purely because you do not want to say 'Yea, I can see why I'm wrong about that' on the topic. Spin away. You make yourself look foolish.

I don't believe Conservatives in the Tea Party believe in taking away other people's votes.

And I think this thread belongs in the Conspiracy theory and birth certificate speculation area because of it.

Or is this one of those forums where only the liberals can get away with it, but the conservatives can't due to situational room bias? :rofl:

Forum List

Back