Tea Party - Don't let renters vote.

:lol:

so you're going to tell us it's only DEMOCRATS who RENT.

good grief.

Last edited:
The idiocy that comes out of this screwed up movement never ceases to amaze me.

First of all renters DO pay property taxes since that cost is figured into the cost of the rent.

Second of all everyone still pays local and state sales taxes.

This is a big movement but it will eventually (and rightfully) fizzle out and go away.

Well fer sure THIS hasn't been suggested before.

and I've NEVER heard of the Tea Party Nation, anybody can SAY they are from the Tea Party.

this article is crap.

Excuse me. Can I just point out that - absolutely nowhere in that quote from the TP Nation does it say anything about not letting renters vote. Not one. At least, not in the quote provided.

Here’s a new Tea Party plank: Don’t let renters vote.

“The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

Where in that quote does he say we should not allow renters to vote? Nowhere.

Hes saying it makes alot of sense and talking about it.

Why did he say it then?

Hes saying it makes alot of sense and talking about it.

Why did he say it then?

Maybe so it would bug the crap outta the idiot left. Seems it's working.

Simply put, we don't have enough context... we don't know what led to the comment so we don't actually KNOW much. But since when has not having all the facts stopped some people from forming an opinion.

Last edited:
Here’s the full quote, from Tea Party Nation Radio:
“The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

One of the greatest minds of his century.

Sadly his century is the 12th.

Renters don't have a vested interest in their community?

What next, the teapartiers wanting to take the vote away from women and blacks?

All the quote says is that the speaker agreed with the Founding Fathers idea of property owners having a greater stake in what happens.

No where did they say they wanted to remove anyones right to vote.

The blog made itself into liars. And I will put this garbage in the trash.

It's a lot easier for a renter to move if the area starts to disintegrate. Not quite so easy if you are the owner of the property. That's the difference.

By the way.... he didn't actually say anything about taking the right to vote away from renters... so there is no need to get hysterical about blacks, or women. Mmmmk? Rational over hypothetical.

All the quote says is that the speaker agreed with the Founding Fathers idea of property owners having a greater stake in what happens.

Well..

If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

Certainly seems to suggest that the speaker wants to restrict the right to vote.

Well..

If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.”

Certainly seems to suggest that the speaker wants to restrict the right to vote.

'Seems to suggest' is not 'wants to take'..... It's a valid point to make. I disagree with taking the right to vote away from any citizen.

Also, we have only that quote.... we have no idea in what context the comment was made. I find it wise to look at context before I jump to conclusions about what someone did or did not 'suggest'.

It's a lot easier for a renter to move if the area starts to disintegrate. Not quite so easy if you are the owner of the property. That's the difference.

By the way.... he didn't actually say anything about taking the right to vote away from renters... so there is no need to get hysterical about blacks, or women. Mmmmk? Rational over hypothetical.
What part of RESTRICTIONS don't you understand?????

Well..

It sure as hell does, depending on your point of view.

If you thing the TP is fulla BS, you're gonna see what they say in the worst light possible.
If you think the TP are messengers of god, well, pfft, you won't find any fault.

Bringing it up was crass, we haven't lived that way in a LOONNGGG time.
Technically she's right. The owner has more to lose and/or gain.

It's created an odd situation with taxes. If you don't own, raising property taxes has little direct effect on you (until the rent gets raised), so you will support raising them to pay for something. (you is a general term, not actually 'you'.)

And I can attest that it's property taxes that kept me out of buying a home. I can save and swing a morgage, but an extra $2500 in taxes is beyond my reach. (don't laugh, I know that's a weeks rent in NYC)

Forum List

Back