TEA Party derails PATRIOT Act fasttrack vote

It takes a lot of faith in government bureacrats to think they won't abuse the powers given to them in the Patriot Act.

and if you can't tell from my avatar I have NO FAITH in those who are currently running our government.

I have a lot of faith in the constitutional republic that is the united states government but none in those who are currently not running it within the confines of that constitution.

I educated myself politically in a very weird, nerdy kind of way in college. I read the legislation these people passed and I looked at historical trends and how they were pretty much the same whether a D or R was in office, that caused me to have no faith in anyone who runs gov't.

I have faith in people who try to take power away from themselves, money out of gov't hands, make gov't smaller and sign most of their checks from gov't back over to the treasury dept, only the Paul family does this.

I like it!

Patriot Act – to protect US from OUR freedoms

The lower House voted to extend the Patriotic Act – 275 (210 reps & 65 democrats) voted for the extension while 144 (27 reps & 117 democrats) voted against. It seems that America is slithering to some kind of a dictatorship where limitation of freedoms and rights is a key basis for ruling the country. I don’t believe that Patriot Act will help to protect us – it’s limiting our rights since October 2001, but is it really effective? Terrorists are still attacking us one way or another and we are forced to put up with the Patriot Act which isn’t worth a damn thing! Bureaucrats are simply shucking and jiving while we have to sacrifice our rights and freedoms for their incompetence and inability to deal with the terrorists and to protect us!

The Patriot Act was meant to be a short term extension of presidential powers to get us through a crisis. We are now going on ten years after the 9-11 attacks...how do we continue to justify that we are in a crisis and need to curtail individual rights?

I'll start taking the terrorist threat seriously when government starts taking border/port security seriously.

The 2 easiest ways for a terrorist to attack the US is to come across the border or bring a bomb through our ports, and they both remain open.

The Patriot Act was meant to be a short term extension of presidential powers to get us through a crisis. We are now going on ten years after the 9-11 attacks...how do we continue to justify that we are in a crisis and need to curtail individual rights?
Surely, Obama will Veto this heinous piece of legislation right?

Personally, I would suggest that probably well over 80% of Americans DO NOT DESERVE their Constitutional Rights and Freedoms. I have no problem limiting them for ALL Americans for that very reason. Way too many (probably in excess of 90%) Americans have no interest in the Duties and Responsibilities that those Rights and Freedoms bring with them, and since they refuse to live up to those Duties and Responsibilities, all of us must pay with a reduction in our Rights and Freedoms.

Surely, Obama will Veto this heinous piece of legislation right?

I doubt it. Once a president is given more power he does not want to give it up.

Congress should have never extended the Presidents powers. The also should not remove a citizens rights unless they can justify a crisis. Ten years is starting to stretch it

I am impressed.

Eight House Republican freshmen and three inaugural members of the Tea Party Caucus voted against a proposed extension of three Patriot Act provisions Tuesday night, blocking the measure from passage under fast-track rules. The House clearly backed the measure, voting 277 to 148 to extend the provisions, and most Republicans stuck by their leadership and supported the extension. But enough defected, joined by most Democrats, to keep the measure seven votes shy of the two-thirds majority required for passage under the fast-track procedure.
The House is likely to bring the extensions back up before the end of the month under regular procedures, when a simple majority would suffice to send it to the Senate.
Attention immediately swung to whether House members sympathetic to the tea party had decided the matter, especially after Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) said Monday that the vote would be "the tea party's first test."
The Republicans who voted no Tuesday night included Roscoe G. Bartlett (Md.), Paul Broun (Ga.) and Walter B. Jones (N.C.), all of whom were original members of the House Tea Party Caucus when it was founded last summer.

44 - GOP freshmen help derail Patriot Act extension

Not an end to it, but a sign that things are changing.

What it is a sign of. Is the Tea Party was exactly what people said it was. Not some organized arm of the Republican party. It is a true grassroots organization, with it's own thoughts on things.

I am impressed.

Eight House Republican freshmen and three inaugural members of the Tea Party Caucus voted against a proposed extension of three Patriot Act provisions Tuesday night, blocking the measure from passage under fast-track rules. The House clearly backed the measure, voting 277 to 148 to extend the provisions, and most Republicans stuck by their leadership and supported the extension. But enough defected, joined by most Democrats, to keep the measure seven votes shy of the two-thirds majority required for passage under the fast-track procedure.
The House is likely to bring the extensions back up before the end of the month under regular procedures, when a simple majority would suffice to send it to the Senate.
Attention immediately swung to whether House members sympathetic to the tea party had decided the matter, especially after Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) said Monday that the vote would be "the tea party's first test."
The Republicans who voted no Tuesday night included Roscoe G. Bartlett (Md.), Paul Broun (Ga.) and Walter B. Jones (N.C.), all of whom were original members of the House Tea Party Caucus when it was founded last summer.
44 - GOP freshmen help derail Patriot Act extension

Not an end to it, but a sign that things are changing.

What it is a sign of. Is the Tea Party was exactly what people said it was. Not some organized arm of the Republican party. It is a true grassroots organization, with it's own thoughts on things.

Nice try. The teabaggers are just the extreme rightwing of the Republican party. There are plenty of examples of Liberals disagreeing with Establishment Democrats, too. That doesn't mean that Liberals are some separate political group.

Forum List

Back