Tea Party And Progressive Senators Unite: "Time To Get Out Of Afghanistan."

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Five senators announced Thursday an amendment to the Defense Authorization bill that would hasten the end of America’s longest war.

In a joint press release, the senators declared that troops should be brought home from Afghanistan before President Obama’s intended December 2014 deadline.

Democratic Sens. Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Tom Udall of New Mexico, Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Republican Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Mike Lee of Utah introduced the amendment.

Merkley cited the death of Osama bin Laden as evidence that the military had accomplished its goals in Afghanistan. It is time to “refocus our attention on fighting terrorists wherever they may be,” Merkley said. “We need concentrate on nation-building here at home.”

Paul said that the war constituted “endless nation-building” during a time when “here at home we face expounding national debt, crumbling infrastructure, and out-of-control spending."

Read more: Afghanistan War | Rand Paul | Mike Lee | Jeff Merkley | Sherrod Brown | Tom Udall | The Daily Caller

I have to applaud these brave Senators. And how often do we get to feel that way? Bin Laden's dead,so lets bring our kids home right now.

Five senators announced Thursday an amendment to the Defense Authorization bill that would hasten the end of America’s longest war.

In a joint press release, the senators declared that troops should be brought home from Afghanistan before President Obama’s intended December 2014 deadline.
It COULD have been completed, LONG-AGO.....but, Lil' Dumbya decided to RUN (as usual)......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtPBTybQ9k]The Hunt For Bin Laden - YouTube[/ame]

....and, The DICK; Cheney decided there were BIG BUCK$ (to be made), in IRAQ!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHGCZC6EQs]Iraq War Profiteers: Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

hp6-4-04tt.jpg

Last edited:
They ought to make the amendment for a complete withdrawal of troops from the middle east. Then I'd be impressed.

They ought to make the amendment for a complete withdrawal of troops from the middle east. Then I'd be impressed.

Yea i'm with ya on that. But i have to take what i can get. It's good to praise politicians when they deserve it. It may work as encouragment for them. These five Senators are pretty brave & bold. I have to give them props.

Yea i'm with ya on that. But i have to take what i can get. It's good to praise politicians when they deserve it. It may work as encouragment for them. These five Senators are pretty brave & bold. I have to give them props.

I guess you're right, but we should have learned by Russia's involvement in Afghanistan that there is no "winning" there. It's an open ended war with no real "in it to win it" going on. If there was we'd line up B-52's nose to tail like we did in Vietnam during the Linebacker bombings, just for starters. This playing patty cake with terrorists in the middle east is nothing more than a drain on our economy.

It's a no-win situation that Obama made worse. The solution is to leave a military base in the region so we can monitor what goes on there. Turning tail and running away is always counter productive.

It's a no-win situation that Obama made worse. The solution is to leave a military base in the region so we can monitor what goes on there. Turning tail and running away is always counter productive.

We're not running away. We went there to take out Osama and we did. Plus, we can't afford it any more.

Time to go.

There is no winning. The people will never be a truly free people and they really don't want it any other way. Bring all the troops home and start preparing for the major war that's brewing right now.

We're not running away. We went there to take out Osama and we did. Plus, we can't afford it any more.

Time to go.

Yes the Longest War is now over. We accomplished what we went there to do. The only possible reason for staying now would have to be about the big oil & gas deals.

Time to go.

We went there previously to help the Muj kick out the Soviets. When they did, we left. And see what the result was. We can certainly afford a scaled down presence. Actually we can't afford not to.

Democratic Sens. Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Tom Udall of New Mexico, Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Republican Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Mike Lee of Utah introduced the amendment.

Merkley cited the death of Osama bin Laden as evidence that the military had accomplished its goals in Afghanistan. It is time to “refocus our attention on fighting terrorists wherever they may be,” Merkley said. “We need concentrate on nation-building here at home.”

Paul said that the war constituted “endless nation-building” during a time when “here at home we face expounding national debt, crumbling infrastructure, and out-of-control spending."

Read more: Afghanistan War | Rand Paul | Mike Lee | Jeff Merkley | Sherrod Brown | Tom Udall | The Daily Caller

Oh my god...I actually agree with Libo/Paul

Ten years is enough time for Afghanistan to get on it's own feet. We have supersede the Taliban, established a government, squashed Al Qaida and killed the SOB bin laden

Time to declare victory and get the heck out.

Our money is better spent at home

Oh my god...I actually agree with Libo/Paul

Ten years is enough time for Afghanistan to get on it's own feet. We have supersede the Taliban, established a government, squashed Al Qaida and killed the SOB bin laden

Time to declare victory and get the heck out.

Our money is better spent at home

We can keep an eye on those bugs from the air.... we need to pack it up and flip them the bird!

Seems to be a lot of agreement with these Senators on this. And that's very rare on this Board. So what's the hold up? Is it now just about the huge oil & gas deals?

Seems to be a lot of agreement with these Senators on this. And that's very rare on this Board. So what's the hold up? Is it now just about the huge oil & gas deals?

Mostly corporate interest.

Yea i've been reading a lot about possible lucrative oil & gas deals over there. If this is the case,we could be in Afghanistan for many many decades to come. We don't have a history of leaving anywhere that has the oil. This is probably why we're seeing this withrawal hold-up.

Yea i've been reading a lot about possible lucrative oil & gas deals over there. If this is the case,we could be in Afghanistan for many many decades to come. We don't have a history of leaving anywhere that has the oil. This is probably why we're seeing this withrawal hold-up.

We have more oil right here in newly found oil fields than Afghanistan will ever have. So if it's about oil, that's about a dumb excuse right there.

Bring the troops home, get our own oil. Let the rag heads in the middle east go on killing each other like they have for thousands of years and leave them alone.

Last edited:

We have more oil right here in newly found oil fields than Afghanistan will ever have. So if it's about oil, that's about a dumb excuse right there.

Bring the troops home, get our own oil. Let the rag heads in the middle east go on killing each other like they have for thousands of years and leave them alone.

Oh i hear ya but tell that to the Government/Corporate Fatcats who will get rich off those Afghan oil & gas deals. They don't care about what's right for America. They only care about that cash.

Forum List

Back