Tea Party And Progressive Senators Unite: "Time To Get Out Of Afghanistan."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Nov 18, 2011.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    Five senators announced Thursday an amendment to the Defense Authorization bill that would hasten the end of America’s longest war.

In a joint press release, the senators declared that troops should be brought home from Afghanistan before President Obama’s intended December 2014 deadline.

Democratic Sens. Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Tom Udall of New Mexico, Sherrod Brown of Ohio and Republican Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Mike Lee of Utah introduced the amendment.

Merkley cited the death of Osama bin Laden as evidence that the military had accomplished its goals in Afghanistan. It is time to “refocus our attention on fighting terrorists wherever they may be,” Merkley said. “We need concentrate on nation-building here at home.”

Paul said that the war constituted “endless nation-building” during a time when “here at home we face expounding national debt, crumbling infrastructure, and out-of-control spending."

Read more: Afghanistan War | Rand Paul | Mike Lee | Jeff Merkley | Sherrod Brown | Tom Udall | The Daily Caller

2. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    I have to applaud these brave Senators. And how often do we get to feel that way? Bin Laden's dead,so lets bring our kids home right now.

3. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    It COULD have been completed, LONG-AGO.....but, Lil' Dumbya decided to RUN (as usual)......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtPBTybQ9k]The Hunt For Bin Laden - YouTube[/ame]

....and, The DICK; Cheney decided there were BIG BUCK$ (to be made), in IRAQ!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fHGCZC6EQs]Iraq War Profiteers: Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,046
    And in February of 2009, who was it that increased the number of troops in the country?

5. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,801
    They ought to make the amendment for a complete withdrawal of troops from the middle east. Then I'd be impressed.

6. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    Yea i'm with ya on that. But i have to take what i can get. It's good to praise politicians when they deserve it. It may work as encouragment for them. These five Senators are pretty brave & bold. I have to give them props.

7. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,801
    I guess you're right, but we should have learned by Russia's involvement in Afghanistan that there is no "winning" there. It's an open ended war with no real "in it to win it" going on. If there was we'd line up B-52's nose to tail like we did in Vietnam during the Linebacker bombings, just for starters. This playing patty cake with terrorists in the middle east is nothing more than a drain on our economy.

8. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    It's a no-win situation that Obama made worse. The solution is to leave a military base in the region so we can monitor what goes on there. Turning tail and running away is always counter productive.

9. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,446
    We're not running away. We went there to take out Osama and we did. Plus, we can't afford it any more.

Time to go.

10. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    There is no winning. The people will never be a truly free people and they really don't want it any other way. Bring all the troops home and start preparing for the major war that's brewing right now.