'Tea party' activists feel slighted by GOP

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...sts-feel-slighted-by-gop/?feat=home_headlines

Just when the Republican Party appears poised for big pickups in the 2010 midterm elections, a ragtag band of grass-roots conservatives millions strong and fiercely motivated, but with no national leader, threatens to split the Grand Old Party in two.

Leading figures in the burgeoning "tea party" movement complain they are being ignored by the Republican National Committee, despite having already shown their clout in taking down moderate Republicans in a New York special House race and the Florida Republican Party hierarchy.

"I have called into the RNC many times, and they still haven't called me back," said Dale Robertson, head of TeaParty.org, which he claims has upwards of 7 million members. "I've called them, lots of times. I called them this morning. I called them yesterday. It's like they ignore you as they try to figure out a strategy on how to defeat you."

The recent resignation of Florida Republican state party Chairman Jim Greer was also seen as in part as a tea party victory. Mr. Greer was closely linked to moderate Republican Gov. Charlie Crist, who is locked in a tight Senate primary duel with conservative favorite Marco Rubio, the former speaker of the Florida House.

$1871lol_wut.jpg

A.) Why should a grassroots campaign feel slighted like a girl after her date doesn't call her back when they are suppose to be separate from the GOP?

B.) Why would forcing out a moderate be seen as a tea party victory?

The mind; it boggles.

'Tea party' activists feel slighted by GOP - Washington Times

Just when the Republican Party appears poised for big pickups in the 2010 midterm elections, a ragtag band of grass-roots conservatives millions strong and fiercely motivated, but with no national leader, threatens to split the Grand Old Party in two.

Leading figures in the burgeoning "tea party" movement complain they are being ignored by the Republican National Committee, despite having already shown their clout in taking down moderate Republicans in a New York special House race and the Florida Republican Party hierarchy.

"I have called into the RNC many times, and they still haven't called me back," said Dale Robertson, head of TeaParty.org, which he claims has upwards of 7 million members. "I've called them, lots of times. I called them this morning. I called them yesterday. It's like they ignore you as they try to figure out a strategy on how to defeat you."

The recent resignation of Florida Republican state party Chairman Jim Greer was also seen as in part as a tea party victory. Mr. Greer was closely linked to moderate Republican Gov. Charlie Crist, who is locked in a tight Senate primary duel with conservative favorite Marco Rubio, the former speaker of the Florida House.

View attachment 9255

A.) Why should a grassroots campaign feel slighted like a girl after her date doesn't call her back when they are suppose to be separate from the GOP?

The mind; it boggles.

You realize that the Tea Party movement is highly decentralized right? and that local Tea Party organizations pursue their own objectives based on local issues and local points of view?

To simply it for you, there is no national leadership for the Tea Party Movement, that's why it's a "grass roots" movement, the only common thread being an anti-establishment sentiment and yes the GOP has as much to fear from the Tea Party Movement as does the DNC (well nearly as much since they aren't in the majority and thus have fewer incumbents to target).

This is what kills me about the Tea Party movement. No cohesion. They are supposedly a movement rooted in limited federal government. So why feel slighted when a big government party ignores you? Aren't they supposed to be separating themselves from the establishment? And where the hell have these fruitcakes been for the last sixteen years?

'Tea party' activists feel slighted by GOP - Washington Times

View attachment 9255

The mind; it boggles.

You realize that the Tea Party movement is highly decentralized right? and that local Tea Party organizations pursue their own objectives based on local issues and local points of view?

To simply it for you, there is no national leadership for the Tea Party Movement, that's why it's a "grass roots" movement, the only common thread being an anti-establishment sentiment and yes the GOP has as much to fear from the Tea Party Movement as does the DNC (well nearly as much since they aren't in the majority and thus have fewer incumbents to target).

Would you say that all local Tea Party organizations have the same goal?

Of course I realize all of this. However, the common thread is a joke if they're calling up one of the primer establishment groups like a slighted ex-girlfriend. That was my entire point.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...sts-feel-slighted-by-gop/?feat=home_headlines

View attachment 9255

The mind; it boggles.

Shenanigans.

Would you say that all local Tea Party organizations have the same goal?

The same basic goal (reducing the size, cost and power of government) but widely varied ways of going about it and diverse individual organizational objectives usually relating to local issues.

The real problem here is that the "Tea Party" is not similar to the Dem or Rep parties. They dont have unity

Its a bunch of local groups scattered across the country. The views, membership, and opinions vary greatly from town to town within each state and from state to state across the country.

It seems that you Dogbert, and many in the media from these articles I keep reading, dont understand that at all.

One group may have been slighted while say the boston group was made happy by it.

Hence my little shenanigans post.

This is what kills me about the Tea Party movement. No cohesion. They are supposedly a movement rooted in limited federal government. So why feel slighted when a big government party ignores you? Aren't they supposed to be separating themselves from the establishment? And where the hell have these fruitcakes been for the last sixteen years?

See Mips' post above. (Post #4)

Last edited:
The real problem here is that the "Tea Party" is not similar to the Dem or Rep parties. They dont have unity

Its a bunch of local groups scattered across the country. The views, membership, and opinions vary greatly from town to town within each state and from state to state across the country.

It seems that you Dogbert, and many in the media from these articles I keep reading, dont understand that at all.

One group may have been slighted while say the boston group was made happy by it.

Hence my little shenanigans post.

A group with supposedly 7 million tea party members would be nothing to scoff at if true in terms of the tea party movement.

And while you may not like to think that the majority of tea parties seem to be on the GOP like bee to a honey, all you need to do is look at all the major rallies with Republican speakers.

Much like the cake, the tea party movement is a lie. (No offense, but it's true.)

Of course I realize all of this. However, the common thread is a joke if they're calling up one of the primer establishment groups like a slighted ex-girlfriend. That was my entire point.

What don't you understand about "decentralized"?

What don't you understand about 7 million members. And all of the many rallies with Republicans present? Including Mr. Jim DeMint:

DeMint Endorses Williams in Texas - Robert Costa - The Corner on National Review Online

“We need to stop looking at the tea parties as separate from the Republican party,” adds DeMint. “If we do that, we can stand up and create the biggest tent of all.”

DeMint: A tea party crowd favorite - POLITICO.com Print View

If you’re an underdog conservative running for Congress, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) should be on your speed dial these days.

A favorite of the tea party crowd and a longtime scourge for Democrats and some Republicans alike inside the Senate chamber, DeMint has emerged as the leading benefactor for any Republican who wants to challenge the establishment candidates backed by the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

I can understand what you wish for the tea party to be. But reality does not match your dream.

It doesn't surprise me that dyed-in-the-wool partisans cannot understand tea-partiers. They can't seem to wrap their minds around it because it's not about party politics. It's about reckless spending and intrusive government.

Just because Democrats are on the leading edge of government expansion and insane spending and catching most of the flack... doesn't exempt Republicans when they engage in the SAME objectionable activities.

This did NOT start with Obama. The smoldering charcoals were already there. The discontent was ALREADY THERE. He just came along and poured gasoline on it. :eek:

It doesn't surprise me that dyed-in-the-wool partisans cannot understand tea-partiers. They can't seem to wrap their minds around it because it's not about party politics. It's about reckless spending and intrusive government.

Just because Democrats are on the leading edge of government expansion and insane spending and catching most of the flack... doesn't exempt Republicans when they engage in the SAME objectionable activities.

This did NOT start with Obama. The smoldering charcoals were already there. The discontent was ALREADY THERE. He just came along and poured gasoline on it. :eek:

Newsflash: The Tea Party ideal of "Small Government and Anti-Establishment" is no different than Obama's "Hope and Change". It sounds nice, but when you constantly have these huge tea party rallies supporting the establishment and a party that's acted anything but small government for a very long time it just doesn't match up.

Instead of trying to throw stones at me, you should look at your fellow tea party members. No need to say "I don't get it."

Sound a bit elitist when you say that too. You know, talking down to me as if I have no idea. As if it's some complicated concept. While calling me a partisan. :rolleyes:

What don't you understand about 7 million members. And all of the many rallies with Republicans present? Including Mr. Jim DeMint:
Again what don't you understand about decentralized? You're doing a nice job of demonstrating that it's apparently a concept that you cannot get your mind around, perhaps if you go away and think about it a bit it'll come to you, then again, maybe not.

I can understand what you wish for the tea party to be. But reality does not match your dream.
Actually you have absolutely no concept about what I "wish" with respect to anything, but hey, baseless theories are like @ssholes, everybody has at least one but some of us have enough common sense to keep them to ourselves.

I attended a Tea Party rally and couldn't bring myself to stick around. The smell of funnel cake grease on fat, old, white people in knee-high black socks and American flag tee-shirts was too much to handle.

Whilst being entertained by Brian Williams teary-eyed description of Brown's campaign yesterday evening, he informed the audience that Brown's Bus' Logo made NO MENTION of HIM BEING A REPUBLICAN.

Furthermore, Brown seems to have painted himself as more an "independent/individual" than a Republican. This contrasts himself with the Democratic Candidate, who has solicited much help from her party, and Clinton, and Obama.

Brown has, of course, received Republican help, but the Republicans seem to be experimenting with fundamentally changs within their party during the MA senatorial election, and it will be interesting to see how effective it is.

Forum List

Back