Tea parties and other constitutional issues

Here's the latest example:

YouTube - An Insult to Our Democracy

Is anybody else out there concerned about this?
The latest example? That happened over 2 years ago, during the previous Congress, not the current one. They must have really cleaned up their act, eh?

Am I concerned over that? Not particularly. The Republican response to that overblown incident did concern me, however:

Calls for investigation

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) disagreed on the appropriate actions needed to be taken in the 'stolen vote' dilemma from an early August dispute over a vote on an amendment. Boehner called for the need of $1 million for professional investigative staff, consultants and other expenses. Pelosi responded to Boehner's request with, "There is no reason for this review to become protracted as the committee’s charge is limited to a very small number of matters." After rejecting a resolution asking the ethics committee to probe the vote, Republicans instead decided to create a special panel for the same purpose. Boehner insisted that the panel should review more than the vote itself and also probe the three-hour shutdown of the automatic voting system. Answers are hoped to be found by the panel by September 30th.

$1 million to 'investigate' because the Republicans got their collective shorts in a knot. Rather ironic you'd bring up this incident in the same breath as the tea parties, considering they were all about wasteful government spending and stuff *wink*.

BTW, Cantor is a whiny-assed pussy.

WTF? You approve of such corruption and abuse of the fundamentals of our system as long as it's your party practicing the abuse??????????

Freedom, and guarding our freedom is not free. :evil:

Last edited:

The latest example? That happened over 2 years ago, during the previous Congress, not the current one. They must have really cleaned up their act, eh?

Am I concerned over that? Not particularly. The Republican response to that overblown incident did concern me, however:

Calls for investigation

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) disagreed on the appropriate actions needed to be taken in the 'stolen vote' dilemma from an early August dispute over a vote on an amendment. Boehner called for the need of $1 million for professional investigative staff, consultants and other expenses. Pelosi responded to Boehner's request with, "There is no reason for this review to become protracted as the committee’s charge is limited to a very small number of matters." After rejecting a resolution asking the ethics committee to probe the vote, Republicans instead decided to create a special panel for the same purpose. Boehner insisted that the panel should review more than the vote itself and also probe the three-hour shutdown of the automatic voting system. Answers are hoped to be found by the panel by September 30th.

$1 million to 'investigate' because the Republicans got their collective shorts in a knot. Rather ironic you'd bring up this incident in the same breath as the tea parties, considering they were all about wasteful government spending and stuff *wink*.

WTF? You approve of such corruption and abuse of the fundamentals of our system as long as its your party practicing the abuse??????????

Clearly, for some, it is partisanship that matters, not integrity or honesty. For others, any corruption is bad.

Calls for investigation

WTF? You approve of such corruption and abuse of the fundamentals of our system as long as its your party practicing the abuse??????????

Corruption?

:lol:

I certainly didn't say I approve of what they did, but I'm not wringing my hands in despair, either. It was a contested vote that Republicans turned into a pissing match---then demanded a million dollars to 'investigate'. Give me a break...

Clearly, for some, it is partisanship that matters, not integrity or honesty. For others, any corruption is bad.

Edmund Burke.

*just shaking my head in amazement*

You mean like escalating a matter completely out of proportion to what actually occurred, then demanding a cool million to investigate what happened?

You mean like escalating a matter completely out of proportion to what actually occurred, then demanding a cool million to investigate what happened?
I have no tolerance for abuse of power or those who tolerate it.

No, not like that at all. More like rooting out corruption.... take another sip of koolaid and lay down for a while. See if you wake up with the ability to see past the partisanship.

No, not like that at all. More like rooting out corruption.... take another sip of koolaid and lay down for a while. See if you wake up with the ability to see past the partisanship.
Interesting how neither of you have uttered a peep about what Boehner tried to pull.

See past the partisanship, indeed :lol:

Interesting how neither of you have uttered a peep about what Boehner tried to pull.

What did Boehner "pull" that has your knickers in a knot?

But you sure do tolerate abuse of power.

What did Boehner "pull" that has your knickers in a knot?

But you sure do tolerate abuse of power.
Power is cool.

Boehner?

read back a ways...

Power is cool.

Boehner?

read back a ways...
Boehner demanded accountability for abuse.

He demanded $1 million dollars to investigate a pissing match.
As I said, freedom does not come free. We pay cops to make folks accountable, you know.

That "pissing match" was an abuse of power, a violation of the rules of Congress, and an abuse of our system.

Boehner demanded accountability for abuse.

As I said, freedom does not come free. We pay cops to make folks accountable, you know.

That "pissing match" was an abuse of power, a violation of the rules of Congress, and an abuse of our system.

Oh please. It was a contested vote, the Rs got their shorts in a wad (still smarting from losing their majority and ability to fuck with the minority), so they escalated it and then demanded a million of our dollars to investigate why it happened.

Oh please. It was a contested vote, the Rs got their shorts in a wad (still smarting from losing their majority and ability to fuck with the minority), so they escalated it and then demanded a million of our dollars to investigate why it happened.
The reality is that it was a violation of the rules of Congress. Boehner demanded accountability for that violation.

Freedom is not without cost.

You are defending that which is not defendable.

Personally, as a fan of team sports, I take no satisfaction in a win if my team cheats. That's why I like the idea of referees.

Freedom from oppression is more serious than team sports, at least to me.

Last edited:

The reality is that it was a violation of the rules of Congress. Boehner demanded accountability for that violation.

Personally, as a fan of team sports, I take no satisfaction in a win if my team cheats. That's why I like the idea of referees.

Please point out to me where I defended what the Dems did. Because I state his demand of a million dollars to investigate this pissing match was absurd and hypocritical, does not equate to agreeing with or defending the Democrats' actions. You, on the other hand, seem quite content with his ridiculous, wasteful request.

Please point out to me where I defended what the Dems did. Because I state his demand of a million dollars to investigate this pissing match was absurd and hypocritical, does not equate to agreeing with or defending the Democrats' actions. You, on the other hand, seem quite content with his ridiculous, wasteful request.
I don't consider it a waste of resources to ensure accountability for abuses and violation of the rules of Congress (just as I don't consider paying a cop a salary and providing him/her with equipment a waste). Your mileage obviously differs. That's fine.

I don't consider it a waste of resources to ensure accountability for abuses and violation of the rules of Congress (just as I don't consider paying a cop a salary and providing him/her with equipment a waste). Your mileage obviously differs. That's fine.

I don't have a problem with them investigating what happened. But Pelosi was dead on. A million dollars? For that?

Bullshit.

I don't have a problem with them investigating what happened. But Pelosi was dead on. A million dollars? For that?

Bullshit.
My point exactly. "That" is obviously not important to you. "That" being abuse of power violating the rules of Congress.

Forum List

Back