Tea Partiers have a better grasp of science...how embarassing!

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
"
Kahan wrote that not only did the findings surprise him, they embarrassed him.
“I’ve got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I’d be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension,” Kahan wrote.
“But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the tea party,” he continued. “All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the ‘paper’ (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused Internet sites like Huffington Post and POLITICO). I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly, I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.”

Read more: Eureka! Tea partiers know science - Tal Kopan - POLITICO.com

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They also have a firmer grasp of what our Constitution represents, but that's for another shocking study down the road.....

I'm nominally a Republican with many little "l" libertarian leanings, so I guess that makes me a Tea Party Republican. I'm also a physics student, so I guess I have some grasp of scientific issues. I'm also a firm proponent of evolution, because it's right.

"
“I’ve got to confess, though, I found this result surprising. As I pushed the button to run the analysis on my computer, I fully expected I’d be shown a modest negative correlation between identifying with the Tea Party and science comprehension,” Kahan wrote.
“But then again, I don’t know a single person who identifies with the tea party,” he continued. “All my impressions come from watching cable tv — & I don’t watch Fox News very often — and reading the ‘paper’ (New York Times daily, plus a variety of politics-focused Internet sites like Huffington Post and POLITICO). I’m a little embarrassed, but mainly, I’m just glad that I no longer hold this particular mistaken view.”

They also have a firmer grasp of what our Constitution represents, but that's for another shocking study down the road.....

I do not find this surprising. Liberals take the football classes in college, and they work in schools and colleges where the pay is squat. People who want to make money choose professions that are heavy on the math and science requirements. The biology classes the future (liberal) teachers took wouldn't even count toward my degree.

Think about it.

Doctors, nurses, businessmen, engineers, and even lawyers. Yes, the L-SAT tests future lawyers for their spatial reasoning. I didn't understand why until I went to law school. The moneyed professions require you take those math and science classes.

Certainly better educated than the average foodstamp liberal.

Of course Politico would NEVER post the actual results which can be found at

www.culturalcognition.net - Cultural Cognition Blog - Some data on education, religiosity, ideology, and science*comprehension

Surprise surprise you biased zealots. All your "enemies" didn't get smart from listening JUST to Fox News and Rush.. They got smart by working hard and obtaining education..

((I'm just a Tea Party sympathizer, not a proponent. At least until they start screwing up on social issues or foreign policy like their GOP parents.))

And KosherGirl --- you don't get smart hanging out at Politco ----- Do YOU?? :lol:

Last edited:
"

I do not find this surprising. Liberals take the football classes in college, and they work in schools and colleges where the pay is squat. People who want to make money choose professions that are heavy on the math and science requirements. The biology classes the future (liberal) teachers took wouldn't even count toward my degree.

Think about it.

Doctors, nurses, businessmen, engineers, and even lawyers. Yes, the L-SAT tests future lawyers for their spatial reasoning. I didn't understand why until I went to law school. The moneyed professions require you take those math and science classes.

The study actually said liberals were more intelligent on average but specifically Tea Party members by themselves were even higher than liberals. So it was a subset of conservatives not the entire bunch.

on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.

Yes. That's what it said. Tea Partiers are better versed in science than liberals.

Last edited:
"

Think about it.

The study actually said liberals were more intelligent on average but specifically Tea Party members by themselves were even higher than liberals. So it was a subset of conservatives not the entire bunch.

on average, people who leaned liberal were more science literate than those who leaned conservative.

Will you shut up?

tpscic.png

"

Think about it.

Wouldn't be so smug about the ACTUAL numerical differences. A GENERAL test of science knowledge with so few questions isn't really finding a significant difference.

The problem is the stereotype BIAS belonging to the left and it's media knumbskulls ---- exceeds ANY proof one way or the other.. Let's test the "science knowledge" of network news anchors and shills --- shall we?

Better yet --- how about a grudge match Science Quiz between Politco and TheBlaze??

Bets?? Odds??

((Que up Rdean for entrance stage left))) :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Think about it.

Will you shut up?

tpscic.png

Right after you prove to me that everyone that leans conservative is a Tea Party member. until then you shut up.

:lol:

Will you shut up?

tpscic.png

Right after you prove to me that everyone that leans conservative is a Tea Party member. until then you shut up.

Apparently --- only the smarter ones are... It's the MATH SKILLS.. They know the diff between Billions and Trillions..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Will you shut up?

tpscic.png

Apparently --- only the smarter ones are... It's the MATH SKILLS.. They know the diff between Billions and Trillions..

Thats scary to know. I just thought they were ignorant and harmless. How do they always end up saying stupid stuff on TV that contradicts this study?

Thats scary to know. I just thought they were ignorant and harmless. How do they always end up saying stupid stuff on TV that contradicts this study?

Because TV and politics only beggets stupid?

Nothing stupid about DEMANDING fiscal sanity and actually getting answers from Govt is there? Like when Rand Paul staged a filibuster to get an answer to whether the Admin drone policy would allow killing noncombatants in America?

If you can't get answers to questions like those WITHOUT the TV cameras and the stupid theatre --- whatchagonnado??

The theatre and stupidity we see my bud are the ONLY disinfectant left as an option
to heal the REAL issues. Congress has become resistant to logic and reason..

Sad -- but true..

SOME of the actors on the Hill are just overplaying the stupid act to get attention and forgotten the plot.

Forum List

Back