Tea P. to R. Ebert: "Tell me, which flag do I fly when you die of cancer?”

One of the reasons that the religious violence in Northern Ireland never seems to die down is that Protestants like to rub Catholics' noses into their defeat at the Battle of the Boyne. They schedule their yearly parades to march right thru Catholic neighborhoods. Can they do it? Sure. Should they do it? Well, it certainly isn't nice.

Face it...there are people always willing to stick it to someone else...and those always willing to take offense by anything.

SFC is right - just didn't mention that wearing the US flag is disrespectful to the US flag itself as is burning it. Can't cite the Code Section, but it's already been posted here. The kids should have been taught that early on in their school career - but that's not allowed to be taught in schools anymore. THAT is the reason they should have been sent home - not because they were "disrespectful" to Mexicans (illegal or not).

Old, dirty, tattered and torn flags should be given to your nearest recruiting office. I think I was told they were given to the VFW or other military group for a ceremonial for proper disposal.

The flag code does state that the US Flag should not be worn as clothing. The wording may be a bit loose though.
We have a small village, population around 1200, we have a drop off box at the Village Hall for old and worn flags. My American legion Post retires these flags every year. We have a nice little ceremony and burn them with dignity. Seems like we collect around 200 or so every year.

Those of us old enough to remember the 60s, remember when they first started putting the flag on clothing, etc. It was hippies and anti-war people doing so. It was considered disrespectful at that time....I remember my father being really mad that I bought a t-shirt that had one big white star on a blue field and about 3 red and white stripes....hardly a real flag, but even then...that was considered disrespectful and against the Flag Code.

SFC is right - just didn't mention that wearing the US flag is disrespectful to the US flag itself as is burning it. Can't cite the Code Section, but it's already been posted here. The kids should have been taught that early on in their school career - but that's not allowed to be taught in schools anymore. THAT is the reason they should have been sent home - not because they were "disrespectful" to Mexicans (illegal or not).

Old, dirty, tattered and torn flags should be given to your nearest recruiting office. I think I was told they were given to the VFW or other military group for a ceremonial for proper disposal.

The flag code does state that the US Flag should not be worn as clothing. The wording may be a bit loose though.
We have a small village, population around 1200, we have a drop off box at the Village Hall for old and worn flags. My American legion Post retires these flags every year. We have a nice little ceremony and burn them with dignity. Seems like we collect around 200 or so every year.

:rofl:

so.. you BURN the flags after a little ceremony... but people shouldn't wear stars and stripes on their t shirt?

:lol:

:rolleyes:

good grief.

That is the correct protocol for retiring a flag!
Flag Retirement Service And Ceremony

Liability,

I moved around a lot when I was younger and I can tell you, I don't remember NOT having Turkeys, Pilgrims and Indians all over the Hallways when Thanksgiving was approaching. I also didn't know it was a Canadian Holiday, hmmf. I'll have to look that one up, but yea, we celebrated Thanksgiving in spirit and decore in every school I remember going to.

I think these kids being sent home was ridiculous. I have a question, though: Why were they sent home?

I can see it both ways. Obviously wearing the flags and grouping like that was a perceived showing of disrespect on-purpose, a "protest," if you will, of the Holiday. Like if I wore white shoes, a white hat, white pants and white sun-glasses every single day in February, it would be disrespectful (IMO).

I also don't know why they'd need to protest. We have plenty of Holidays for our Country's pride.

Last edited:
I simply do not see American Schools celebrating the victory of the Mexican Army over the French during one battle in 1862. Especially when most don't even know why they are celebrating. And as pointed out it is not even a Mexican Holiday, but a local holiday in one state in Mexico.

Forum List

Back