Tea P. to R. Ebert: "Tell me, which flag do I fly when you die of cancer?”

R

rdean

The Tea Party vs. Roger Ebert - In The News on The Stir by CafeMom

It seems they've (Tea Party) worked themselves into a tizzy over Roger Ebert's comments on Twitter in response to the case in California where five kids were sent home early from school for wearing American flag garb on Cinco de Mayo.

Students Threatened with Suspension for Wearing Old Glory Tees | GlobalShift

0505lostudents-300x240.jpg

The students opted to display their nationalistic pride on May 5, also known as Cinco de Mayo.

On May 6, over 200 Latino teens, the majority students at Live Oak, staged a peaceful protest in Morgan Hill in response to the controversy. Marching downtown and chanting, “We want respect!” and “Si se puede!” the students expressed their feelings that the boys had intentionally worn American colors to disrespect the celebration of Cinco de Mayo.

And the controversy has turned sinister. After a news report mistakenly identified the school as Live Oak in Sutter County, an anonymous caller threatened to set off a bomb or shoot at the school.

However, there may be other issues coming into play. According to the Morgan Hill Times, the students wearing the American flag t-shirts were doing more than demonstrating their patriotism. A parent of two students attending Live Oak, Teresa Casillas, reported that the five students were yelling “We live in America!” during the brunch break, upsetting her children and other Latino students.

What they did was rude, but that's the price we gladly pay for "Free Speech". I can't see any other way to look at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

It seems they've (Tea Party) worked themselves into a tizzy over Roger Ebert's comments on Twitter in response to the case in California where five kids were sent home early from school for wearing American flag garb on Cinco de Mayo.

The students opted to display their nationalistic pride on May 5, also known as Cinco de Mayo.

On May 6, over 200 Latino teens, the majority students at Live Oak, staged a peaceful protest in Morgan Hill in response to the controversy. Marching downtown and chanting, “We want respect!” and “Si se puede!” the students expressed their feelings that the boys had intentionally worn American colors to disrespect the celebration of Cinco de Mayo.

And the controversy has turned sinister. After a news report mistakenly identified the school as Live Oak in Sutter County, an anonymous caller threatened to set off a bomb or shoot at the school.

However, there may be other issues coming into play. According to the Morgan Hill Times, the students wearing the American flag t-shirts were doing more than demonstrating their patriotism. A parent of two students attending Live Oak, Teresa Casillas, reported that the five students were yelling “We live in America!” during the brunch break, upsetting her children and other Latino students.

What they did was rude, but that's the price we gladly pay for "Free Speech". I can't see any other way to look at it.

Oh! the fricking horror.. In the United States of America for teens to wear American Flags and to shout we LIVE IN AMERICA is just fucking unfathomable.. it's just fricking stupid isn't it? I'm so sorry this behavior upsets Mexicans, it's just tewwwible.

Sending kids home for wearing American flag tee-shirts is ridiculous, of course.

But let's face it -- lots and lots of ridiculous stuff like that happens in a nation with 300,000,000 people.

150,000,000 of those people are slower than the average person, ya know.

Liberals-Progressives are the whiniest bunch. They can dish it out but can't seem to take.

who gives a rats ass about Roger Ebert. the man has become a total friggen loony toon.:cuckoo:

I don't know the last time a school celebrated the Canadian holiday they call "Thanksgiving." But I am willing to wager that nobody crammed it down the throats of all students in any given schools district.

Yet with Mexico, for some reason, not only are we supposed to show deference and respect for THEIR holiday in OUR land, any deviation from the ordered group think is seen as giving offense.

This IS America, not Mexico. I personally don't much care for wearing images of the flag on apparel, but it is such a common and everyday thing, it cannot be improper to wear it (even if intended as speech) to note that Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday.

Let's just state it. These kids got sanctioned for pure speech. They were not calling for violence or the overthrow of our government or engaged in that mythical thing known as "hate speech." They merely noted that this is not Mexico.

How on EARTH do libs condone the reaction against these kids?

Commenting only on the portion of the OP that refers to the death of Mr. Ebert, I find it disgusting.

well I'm sure this all has to be true and it was the Tea party who did it. I mean it was posted on a site called, CAFEMOM.:lol:

Last edited:
I don't know the last time a school celebrated the Canadian holiday they call "Thanksgiving." But I am willing to wager that nobody crammed it down the throats of all students in any given schools district.

Yet with Mexico, for some reason, not only are we supposed to show deference and respect for THEIR holiday in OUR land, any deviation from the ordered group think is seen as giving offense.

This IS America, not Mexico. I personally don't much care for wearing images of the flag on apparel, but it is such a common and everyday thing, it cannot be improper to wear it (even if intended as speech) to note that Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday.

Let's just state it. These kids got sanctioned for pure speech. They were not calling for violence or the overthrow of our government or engaged in that mythical thing known as "hate speech." They merely noted that this is not Mexico.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Merry Christmas.

Happy Easter.

Even though I'm all for free speech and I believe these kids should be able to wear flag shirts if they want, I just want to point out that not all "holidays" or "celebrations" are "American".

Jesus was never an American citizen. Neither was St. Patrick. Nor was Columbus. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Just thought I would point that out.

American kids can wear American shirts on American soil any damn day they want to and if it offends mexicans then that's just tough shit, and to suspend the American boys violates their civil rights. I hope they bring a lawsuit.

They just think brown people should not be proud of their heritage.

They do the same with black people.

Look at all the shit they gave Mrs Obama for mentioning Obama's home country.

Imagine how that felt to the American children who are black?

Now they want Latino kids to be ashamed of their heritage.

Then they wonder why people of color dont vote for republicans.

:eusa_angel:
They just think brown people should not be proud of their heritage.

They do the same with black people.

Look at all the shit they gave Mrs Obama for mentioning Obama's home country.

Imagine how that felt to the American children who are black?

Now they want Latino kids to be ashamed of their heritage.

Then they wonder why people of color dont vote for republicans.

we don't wonder, we know most colored people are lemmings! :eusa_angel:

1) Cinco de Mayo isn't even a holiday in Mexico!

2) One of the kids is 1/2 Latino!

3) How Fabian bedwetters live with themselves is a mystery for the ages.

I wouldn't doubt that most of those Latino teens have no clue why Cinco De mayo is even celebrated. It is really odd that more people in the USA celebrate it than the people in Mexico.

I'd be damned if i would stop being a patriotic American for Cinco De mayo.

all white people are Republicans. All white people know all colored people are demonrat lemmings. :eusa_angel:

1) Cinco de Mayo isn't even a holiday in Mexico!

2) One of the kids is 1/2 Latino!

3) How Fabian bedwetters live with themselves is a mystery for the ages.

So very right, it is actually a local Holiday in one area of Mexico.

Celebrates the victory of the Mexican Army, led by Gral. against French forces in the city of Puebla, on May 5, 1862.

Also widely celebrated in the United States. US "celebration" of this Mexican historical event is largely a result of promotions in the US by liquor, beer, and bars/taverns/clubs/restaurants since the 1980s. For many years Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the US promoted Cinco de Mayo as Mexican Independence Day which is actually September 16. Although Mexican citizens feel very proud of the meaning of Cinco de Mayo, it is not a national holiday in Mexico, but it is an official holiday in the State of Puebla where the mentioned battle took place.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Merry Christmas.

Happy Easter.

Even though I'm all for free speech and I believe these kids should be able to wear flag shirts if they want, I just want to point out that not all "holidays" or "celebrations" are "American".

Jesus was never an American citizen. Neither was St. Patrick. Nor was Columbus. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Just thought I would point that out.

Now THERE is an idiot's reply. Oh, wait. It was by rdean. Ok. I was guilty of being redundant.

Yes, St. Paddy's day is an IRISH celebration also celebrated here. And when I see the St. Pat's Parades, I see LOTS and LOTS of AMERICAN flags. And I have NEVER seen an Irishman or Irishwoman even pretend to take offense. Nor should we. They CHOSE to come here. THIS is their land. They SHOULD be fucking happy that they can celebrate their roots AND their adopted land. What kind of mealy-mouthed, thin-skinned fuckstick would TAKE OFFENSE that people who aren't descended from those Irish roots nevertheless support their OWN country?

Christmas and Easter do not celebrate national origin, you imbecile.

What you "just thought" that you'd "point out," rdean, you douche, is imbecilic, utterly beside the point and demonstrative of what a fucking drooling tool :eusa_drool: you always are.

SFC is right - just didn't mention that wearing the US flag is disrespectful to the US flag itself as is burning it. Can't cite the Code Section, but it's already been posted here. The kids should have been taught that early on in their school career - but that's not allowed to be taught in schools anymore. THAT is the reason they should have been sent home - not because they were "disrespectful" to Mexicans (illegal or not).

Old, dirty, tattered and torn flags should be given to your nearest recruiting office. I think I was told they were given to the VFW or other military group for a ceremonial for proper disposal.

Oh the horror of it all!!!!!! Screaming we live in America and wearing a US flag t-shirt!!!! MY GOD What has this country come to!!!! We all know the Democrats believe we are NOT ALLOWED to unite under one flag...that we all must remain divided up into little groups for exploitation!!!!!! What were those damn Americans thinking!!!!!!

Last edited:
SFC is right - just didn't mention that wearing the US flag is disrespectful to the US flag itself as is burning it. Can't cite the Code Section, but it's already been posted here. The kids should have been taught that early on in their school career - but that's not allowed to be taught in schools anymore. THAT is the reason they should have been sent home - not because they were "disrespectful" to Mexicans (illegal or not).

Old, dirty, tattered and torn flags should be given to your nearest recruiting office. I think I was told they were given to the VFW or other military group for a ceremonial for proper disposal.

The flag code does state that the US Flag should not be worn as clothing. The wording may be a bit loose though.
We have a small village, population around 1200, we have a drop off box at the Village Hall for old and worn flags. My American legion Post retires these flags every year. We have a nice little ceremony and burn them with dignity. Seems like we collect around 200 or so every year.

The flag code does state that the US Flag should not be worn as clothing. The wording may be a bit loose though.
We have a small village, population around 1200, we have a drop off box at the Village Hall for old and worn flags. My American legion Post retires these flags every year. We have a nice little ceremony and burn them with dignity. Seems like we collect around 200 or so every year.

:rofl:

so.. you BURN the flags after a little ceremony... but people shouldn't wear stars and stripes on their t shirt?

:lol:

:rolleyes:

good grief.

Forum List

Back