Tea P. to R. Ebert: "Tell me, which flag do I fly when you die of cancer?”

Discussion in 'Media' started by rdean, May 12, 2010.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,976
    The Tea Party vs. Roger Ebert - In The News on The Stir by CafeMom

It seems they've (Tea Party) worked themselves into a tizzy over Roger Ebert's comments on Twitter in response to the case in California where five kids were sent home early from school for wearing American flag garb on Cinco de Mayo.

Students Threatened with Suspension for Wearing Old Glory Tees | GlobalShift

[​IMG]

The students opted to display their nationalistic pride on May 5, also known as Cinco de Mayo.

On May 6, over 200 Latino teens, the majority students at Live Oak, staged a peaceful protest in Morgan Hill in response to the controversy. Marching downtown and chanting, “We want respect!” and “Si se puede!” the students expressed their feelings that the boys had intentionally worn American colors to disrespect the celebration of Cinco de Mayo.

And the controversy has turned sinister. After a news report mistakenly identified the school as Live Oak in Sutter County, an anonymous caller threatened to set off a bomb or shoot at the school.

However, there may be other issues coming into play. According to the Morgan Hill Times, the students wearing the American flag t-shirts were doing more than demonstrating their patriotism. A parent of two students attending Live Oak, Teresa Casillas, reported that the five students were yelling “We live in America!” during the brunch break, upsetting her children and other Latino students.

What they did was rude, but that's the price we gladly pay for "Free Speech". I can't see any other way to look at it.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,724
    Oh! the fricking horror.. In the United States of America for teens to wear American Flags and to shout we LIVE IN AMERICA is just fucking unfathomable.. it's just fricking stupid isn't it? I'm so sorry this behavior upsets Mexicans, it's just tewwwible.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Sending kids home for wearing American flag tee-shirts is ridiculous, of course.

But let's face it -- lots and lots of ridiculous stuff like that happens in a nation with 300,000,000 people.

150,000,000 of those people are slower than the average person, ya know.

4. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    Liberals-Progressives are the whiniest bunch. They can dish it out but can't seem to take.

who gives a rats ass about Roger Ebert. the man has become a total friggen loony toon.:cuckoo:

5. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    I don't know the last time a school celebrated the Canadian holiday they call "Thanksgiving." But I am willing to wager that nobody crammed it down the throats of all students in any given schools district.

Yet with Mexico, for some reason, not only are we supposed to show deference and respect for THEIR holiday in OUR land, any deviation from the ordered group think is seen as giving offense.

This IS America, not Mexico. I personally don't much care for wearing images of the flag on apparel, but it is such a common and everyday thing, it cannot be improper to wear it (even if intended as speech) to note that Cinco de Mayo is not an American holiday.

Let's just state it. These kids got sanctioned for pure speech. They were not calling for violence or the overthrow of our government or engaged in that mythical thing known as "hate speech." They merely noted that this is not Mexico.

How on EARTH do libs condone the reaction against these kids?

6. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,955
    Commenting only on the portion of the OP that refers to the death of Mr. Ebert, I find it disgusting.

7. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    well I'm sure this all has to be true and it was the Tea party who did it. I mean it was posted on a site called, CAFEMOM.:lol:

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,976
    Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Merry Christmas.

Happy Easter.

Even though I'm all for free speech and I believe these kids should be able to wear flag shirts if they want, I just want to point out that not all "holidays" or "celebrations" are "American".

Jesus was never an American citizen. Neither was St. Patrick. Nor was Columbus. There are probably more that I'm not thinking of at the moment.

Just thought I would point that out.

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,724
    American kids can wear American shirts on American soil any damn day they want to and if it offends mexicans then that's just tough shit, and to suspend the American boys violates their civil rights. I hope they bring a lawsuit.

10. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    They just think brown people should not be proud of their heritage.

They do the same with black people.

Look at all the shit they gave Mrs Obama for mentioning Obama's home country.

Imagine how that felt to the American children who are black?

Now they want Latino kids to be ashamed of their heritage.

Then they wonder why people of color dont vote for republicans.