Taxpayers To Pay For New 49ers Stadium

Mad Scientist

Feels Good!
Sep 15, 2008
As if plans for statewide amnesty for illegal aliens wasn't bad enough, this from the San Jose Mercury News:
Santa Clara, 49ers announce deal to pay for stadium - San Jose Mercury News
The NFL team and Santa Clara announced Friday that they have captured all the money needed to build a proposed $1 billion football stadium next to the Great America theme park -- the largest and final obstacle needed before construction can start. The funding deal was spelled out in a development contract that caps two-and-a-half years of closed-door negotiations between city and team leaders and essentially completes a planning process that began when the team announced interest in abandoning San Francisco five years ago.
Goldman Sachs, U.S. Bank and Bank of America have agreed to loan the city and team a combined $850 million to pay for the lion's share of the construction, which could start as soon as next year. But critics are alarmed by a major shift in the funding plan that emerged Friday: The city will take on more than twice as much debt as was promised to voters, even though the 49ers vow they won't leave the city holding the bag.
NFL to pay for new stadium? Nope.
Tax on NFL ticket holders to pay for a new stadium? Nope.
Non Football fans to pay for new stadium? Yes!

You can't tell me that the wealthy owner of the SF 49er's is any different than the welfare recipient with their hand out asking for taxpayer money. Sickening, just sickening. I suppose he is claiming that he is creating jobs too?

I don't have a problem with the wealthy people (the people who pay the most taxes) paying for a new football stadium. Isn't that what the leftists want? Wealthy people to pay for everything?

I don't have a problem with the wealthy people (the people who pay the most taxes) paying for a new football stadium. Isn't that what the leftists want? Wealthy people to pay for everything?

The comment of the Wealthy paying the most taxes will always be there no matter what tax system we use. Even a flat tax. the guy making 20k paying ten percent will not pay as much as the guy paying 10 percent on 100k.

I think that is disgusting. Let the owners and NFL build their own stadiums. At times like this, that is just gross. But, more bread and circuses from the govt.

You can't tell me that the wealthy owner of the SF 49er's is any different than the welfare recipient with their hand out asking for taxpayer money. Sickening, just sickening. I suppose he is claiming that he is creating jobs too?
They do. But those would be along the lines of "Hotdog Vendor" and "Janitor".

The NFL gets multi billion dollar TV contracts, they have enough money to build their own stadium if they want it.

I was reading a Bio on the Pittsburg Steelers owner Dan Rooney and he was talking about his efforts to get a new stadium so that the Steelers can stay "competitive". All I could think was; "The old 'uncompetitive' stadium didn't stop them from winning 4 Super Bowls in the 70's".

Yes. And building a stadium only for football to play 15 games a year in is absurd. Now, we have to have a separate stadium for football, baseball, hockey or whatever.

Yes. And building a stadium only for football to play 15 games a year in is absurd. Now, we have to have a separate stadium for football, baseball, hockey or whatever.

footbal has a sixteen game season. only eight games are played at home, not including the playoffs. Four preseason games wioth two being at home.

Do it the way the Packers are doing it. They are selling stock shares this week to the public in order to make millions in renovations to Lambeau Field.

This is not new. It happens in every city. The owners reasoning is if you dont built us a new one we will leave to a city that will and that the stadium generates money for the city and business around it

Do it the way the Packers are doing it. They are selling stock shares this week to the public in order to make millions in renovations to Lambeau Field.
The Packers are the only NFL team to keep the TSA away as well! Coincidence? I think not!

Seriously..Mad Scientist. This is done all the time. Tax payers pick up the tab for almost all stadiums. Personally, I think it's a bad idea..unless the stadiums are used all year round.

This is not new. It happens in every city. The owners reasoning is if you dont built us a new one we will leave to a city that will and that the stadium generates money for the city and business around it

Nice to see the rich business men holding cities financially hostage. I wish some of these cities would tell them to go else where. It never ends does it, welfare of the rich is worse than welfare of the poor.

Seriously..Mad Scientist. This is done all the time. Tax payers pick up the tab for almost all stadiums. Personally, I think it's a bad idea..unless the stadiums are used all year round.
Look at the trouble Califonia is in financially and ask yourself how they can justify new taxes for what is essentially a "want" and not a "need".

The NFL is rich. If they want a new stadium for one of their teams, they should build it themselves.

The comment of the Wealthy paying the most taxes will always be there no matter what tax system we use. Even a flat tax. the guy making 20k paying ten percent will not pay as much as the guy paying 10 percent on 100k.

Baloney. I'm talking about PERCENTAGES, not dollar amounts, of taxes paid. The top 50%of wage earners pay over 96% of the taxes in this country. The tax rates are the highest on the highest wage earners. Period.

The flat tax is the only "fair" way to go. EVERYBODY pays the same PERCENTAGE. No tax breaks for the "rich", or the "poor".

Baloney. I'm talking about PERCENTAGES, not dollar amounts, of taxes paid. The top 50%of wage earners pay over 96% of the taxes in this country. The tax rates are the highest on the highest wage earners. Period.

The flat tax is the only "fair" way to go. EVERYBODY pays the same PERCENTAGE. No tax breaks for the "rich", or the "poor".

You just answered the question of why we won't move to a flat tax, the wealthy knnow they pay a piuttance in taxes now comparred to a flat tax. The whine and cry trying to get a flat tax knowing it will never happen. Reverse psycology.:eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back