Taxpayers Might Be On Hook for Ground Zero Mosque Funding

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by grokmaster, Aug 28, 2010.

1. grokmaster

grokmaster Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    With all the recent interest in the funding of the highly controversial Ground Zero Mosque, it appears that the developers may apply for , and RECEIVE, US TAXDOLLARS to help fund it.

I cannot post the link due to my fledgling status at this forum, but I CAN quote the Reuters article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67Q5BW20100827 - Link added, Modbert

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The Muslim center planned near the site of the World Trade Center attack could qualify for tax-free financing, a spokesman for City Comptroller John Liu said on Friday, and Liu is willing to consider approving the public subsidy.

The Democratic comptroller's spokesman, Scott Sieber, said Liu supported the project. The center has sparked an intense debate over U.S. religious freedoms and the sanctity of the Trade Center site, where nearly 3,000 perished in the September 11, 2001 attack.

"If it turns out to be financially feasible and if they can demonstrate an ability to pay off the bonds and comply with the laws concerning tax-exempt financing, we'd certainly consider it," Sieber told Reuters.

Spokesmen for Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Governor David Paterson and the Islamic center and were not immediately available.

The proposed center, two blocks from the Trade Center site in lower Manhattan, has caused a split between people who lost relatives and friends in the attack, as well as conservative politicians, and those who support the project. Among those who support it are the mayor, civic and religious groups, and some families of victims.

The mosque's backers hope to raise a total of $70 million in tax-exempt debt to build the center, according to the New York Times. Tax laws allow such funding for religiously affiliated non-profits if they can prove the facility will benefit the general public and their religious activities are funded separately.

The bonds could be issued through a local development corporation created for this purpose, experts said.

The Islamic center would have to repay the bonds, which likely would be less expensive than taxable debt.

New York City's Industrial Development Authority could not issue debt for the center because the state civic facilities law, which governed this type of financing for non-profits, was allowed to expire about two years ago.

Howya like dem apples?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. AmericanFirst

AmericanFirst Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,005
    Just another slap in the face. To use tax dollars to build this is the stupidist thing I have heard about this subject. But nothing surprizes me coming from the stupidest admin of all time.

3. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Link once you get 15 posts please.

Edit: Link added

4. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    any religious org gets this, if you don't like it for islam, then we should get rid of all exemptions

5. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
  6. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Now to comment on the article, I'm pretty sure this isn't a new sort of law. If you're complaining about the exemptions that a certain religion is entitled to by our laws, then I'm assuming you're against all exemptions for all religions.

7. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    I believe in the total separation of church and state and NO religious anything should get one red cent of tax dollars.

8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,401
    My only question is would a christian, jewish or mormon facility get the same tax exemtion?

If the answer is yes.....why the hell are we posting this thread?

9. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    iirc correctly, i just read an article last week about a christian church getting the same thing

10. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,949
    First of all, the article is discussing public financing, not public funding (as in, low interest loans from the state, not free money).

This is how YMCAs all around the country get built.