'Taxing the Rich'

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll never be enough, will it? Obama wants to raise the marginal tax rate up to about 40%, so revenue goes up about 70 bilion/yr, if that. Well whoop-de-fuckin'-do, out of a 1.6 trillion deficit this year now we're down to 1.53 trillion, boy that really helped. And he wants to raise the Medicare tax rate and the ceiling for Social Security, and who knows what else. You want this, raise taxes on the rich to pay for it. You want that, raise taxes on the rich to pay for it. Do you not know that if we took every frickin' dime they made this year it still wouldn't cover the deficit?

What would this country be like if we raised taxes back to 90%? You really think thise rich people are just going to quietly pay it? You don't think they'll park it offshore by any means, legal or otherwise? Where the blue blazes fuck do you think you're going to get entrepeneurs, innovators, and new investors if the tax rate is so high that it literally ain't worth it to do business here? Do you not realize we live in a global economy, and if foreign investors can't make enough money here cuz of the fuckin' tax rates that you dumb bozos want to raise that they'll go elsewhere? And American investors with wealth will do the same. You really want to be a bigger Greece? Well if we followed your path that's where we'd end up.

He wants us to pay taxes on taxes. Making all income subject to SS and Medicare means we pay income taxes on those taxes as well. el

We already do. The employee paid half of FICA is not presently tax-deductible, only the employer paid half is.

You're either stupid or a liar. I used to make less than 35k a year and I paid net taxes.

Nope, below $33,048 pays zero in federal income tax.

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

The tax rate on the 20000th of AGI is 15% for EVERYONE.

False.

47% of American wage earners pay no federal income tax at all.

Who Pays Taxes? Not As Many As You Think : NPR

For this 47%, the tax on the 20000 dollar is zero.

How? Well, the "adjustments" make the income of those earning $33,048 zero.

Last edited:
My point was that 47% of the working populace receives a tax return - that means they paid little to no taxes.

No, it doesn't.

You do know there's more than one tax levied, right?

O'rilly???

Sorry, these fools pay sales tax..... boo fucking hoo...

99% of these clowns don't own property so its not like they pay property tax...

Do you not know that if we took every frickin' dime they made this year it still wouldn't cover the deficit?

But it'll help and it's the right thing to do.

We need to increase revenue AND cut spending, the GOPer's are a one trick pony these days.

You're either stupid or a liar. I used to make less than 35k a year and I paid net taxes.

False.

For this 47%, the taxe on the 20000 dollar is zero.

That's absolutely false. I don't need your source to tell me that either. I do some people's taxes and I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that people making 33K a year's return is not greater than what they've paid in Federal.

Last edited:
It'll never be enough, will it?
??? Taxes as a % of GDP are LOWER than they've ever been - your feigned outrage isn't really applicable at this point.

And you want to raise 'em, right? That's the whole point of this thread, raise taxes on the wealthy. Some lefties want rates back up to 90%, right here in this thread. Taxes as a % of GDP are low cuz we're in a recession or nearly so, and nobody is paying much in taxes cuz they ain't making as much. Lower income means lower rate, you got that, right? Maybe you noticed, there's a whole lot of people out of work, and they ain't paying any taxes at all. Only a fuckin' moron woudl raise taxes on anybody until the economy gets going and the unemployment picture gets a lot better.

Using the same unequal system on each person does not mean you are treating everyone equally...

That's one of the dumbest fucking things I've ever read.
You have some paying $0 or zero percent... others paying 32% or 20K... others paying 16% and 6K.... all for the same benefits and protections of government.... hence, you support a system where some receive without paying, and others pay more for the same services....

Everyone with the same AGI pays the same tax.

To treat or tax equally... is like a sales tax.. that shows no preference whether you make 40K or 40MIL... you purchase something at $100 and each person is taxed the exact same way on it....

You pay more sales tax the more stuff you buy. if you pay $4 tax on $100 in purchases but I make $200 in purchases and I have to pay $8, according to your stupid logic, that's unequal treatment.

Tax the income per dollar for equal treatment... each person contributing (for example) 12% of their income for the services that government provides or offers.. THAT, is equal treatment... not the corrupt bullshit system you support

How is that equal by your moronic reasoning? The rich still pay more in taxes shit for brains.

You are one of the biggest brainwashed idiots since Fail-O came on board

1) Use of an unequal system on every person does not mean persons are being treated equally
2) AGI is graduated theft... as stated some pay noting, some pay differing percentages... it is by DEFINITION, an UNEQUAL system... an unequal system YOU champion...
3) The person paying a 4% tax on 100 is paying $4.. a person paying 4% on 200 is paying $8... both are still EQUALLY paying 4% on every dollar spent.... not that a person making 25K pays a 1% sales tax and a person making 70K pays a 2% sales tax and a person making 1MIL pays a 10% sales tax, which is UNEQUAL treatment by government
4) 4%=4%... moron... the same tax on every dollar, regardless of some subjective label based on income, deduction, lawyer help, # of children, or whatever else....

You're about as dense as they come for a lib

Do you not know that if we took every frickin' dime they made this year it still wouldn't cover the deficit?

But it'll help and it's the right thing to do.

We need to increase revenue AND cut spending, the GOPer's are a one trick pony these days.

It's the stupid thing to do. It simply amazes me that lefties can breezily raise taxes on rich people and think there will be no consequences.

Can you not read numbers, or did you just not bother to read your own stupid link? I never got past the 1st advanced calculus in college, so maybe I'm wrong on this, but I'm fairly certain that 2.7 is not ZERO.

I'm looking at my 2006 year tax return right now - I earned exactly 20k that year - and my total taxes owed is $1013. Is $1013 zero? And that's AFTER my education credits. Is $1013 zero? Is $20,000 less than $33,048?

Yeah, like who? People with 4 kids? That number in the link you posted - 33048 - which says 2.7 of all collected income taxes are paid by people who make 33048 or less - its already AGI. You can't even read your own fucking link man, stop quoting numbers, you're clearly inept at them.

Last edited:
It'll never be enough, will it? Obama wants to raise the marginal tax rate up to about 40%, so revenue goes up about 70 bilion/yr, if that. Well whoop-de-fuckin'-do, out of a 1.6 trillion deficit this year now we're down to 1.53 trillion, boy that really helped. And he wants to raise the Medicare tax rate and the ceiling for Social Security, and who knows what else. You want this, raise taxes on the rich to pay for it. You want that, raise taxes on the rich to pay for it. Do you not know that if we took every frickin' dime they made this year it still wouldn't cover the deficit?

What would this country be like if we raised taxes back to 90%? You really think thise rich people are just going to quietly pay it? You don't think they'll park it offshore by any means, legal or otherwise? Where the blue blazes fuck do you think you're going to get entrepeneurs, innovators, and new investors if the tax rate is so high that it literally ain't worth it to do business here? Do you not realize we live in a global economy, and if foreign investors can't make enough money here cuz of the fuckin' tax rates that you dumb bozos want to raise that they'll go elsewhere? And American investors with wealth will do the same. You really want to be a bigger Greece? Well if we followed your path that's where we'd end up.

I really am starting to think this boils down to more of a financial illiteracy problem than anything. And the lefties, at least of this board, seem to be chronically financially illiterate. There has to be some fundamental disconnect between what people are taxed and what government does that they just don't get. They have no concept of living within one's means.

WE HAVE A 14 TRILLION DOLLAR DEBT. Politics aside, that means we are spending far, far, far more than we are taking in. Even if we somehow all got on the same page and agreed that everything government is doing now is everything it should be doing, we still have to be financially responsible enough as a government and a country to fund these things in a financially sound manner. We aren't doing that now. We are borrowing and borrowing a lot. We are so far in debt the interest alone on the debt as increasing faster than we can pay it down. We aren't even touching the debet at this point. So something has to give. Either government has to spend less, and a lot less, which will take a fundamental redifinition of the roll of government in society, OR we have to tax everyone more..... a LOT more.

Last edited:
. Some lefties want rates back up to 90%, right here in this thread.
OK. Why are you bitching to me about it?

Taxes as a % of GDP are low cuz we're in a recession or nearly so, and nobody is paying much in taxes cuz they ain't making as much.
??? Another mathematical genius I can see. Note the size 7 percent sign and think for a minute on what the meaning of "percent" is.

False.

That's absolutely false. I don't need your source to tell me that either. I do some people's taxes and I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt that people making 33K a year's return is not greater than what they've paid in Federal.

O'really???

Please explain how someone - even factoring in withholding - who receives a refund pays taxes???

I come from a family of accountants and tax accountants...

47% are not paying any taxes...

If they were paying taxes they'd be writing the checks to the government - not the other way around.

Now, weather or not an individual gets a tax return varies on several factors. You could make 50k a year and have 10 kids and you would get a tax return. A single individual who makes 50k a year would have to pay taxes...

Thats just an example.

3) The person paying a 4% tax on 100 is paying $4.. a person paying 4% on 200 is paying $8... both are still EQUALLY paying 4% on every dollar spent.... not that a person making 25K pays a 1% sales tax and a person making 70K pays a 2% sales tax and a person

Let's say I pay twice as much in sales tax as you because I buy twice as and we both live in the same city, does that mean my kids will get a public school twice as good as yours, does that mean the roads i drive my car on will be twice as good as the one you drive on, or that the cops who protect me will be twice as good as the ones who protect you? No. I'm paying twice as much but getting the same benefit from government as you. So by your definition - unequal treatment.

False.

O'really???

Please explain how someone - even factoring in withholding - who receives a refund pays taxes???

I come from a family of accountants and tax accountants...

47% are not paying any taxes...

If they were paying taxes they'd be writing the checks to the government - not the other way around.

Now, weather or not an individual gets a tax return varies on several factors. You could make 50k a year and have 10 kids and you would get a tax return. A single individual who makes 50k a year would have to pay taxes...

Thats just an example.

Do you really not know how someone receiving a refund pays taxes, or........? Because if you don't know how that is, then clearly the conversation's not rlly worth having.

oh hell, I'll edit it in.

If Johnny 5 the Robot is deducted $5,000 by the end of the year from his paycheck, and his taxes owed after adjustments, etc. are $4, 000....Johnny 5 the Robot gets a $1,000 tax return check.

He still paid $4k in taxes.

If you did not know that people who get tax returns usually still paid out in taxes, slow step away from the keyboard.

Last edited:
Funnel money to the top percent and then cut wages and benefits for the working poor...it's wrong on so many levels.

Why does the GOP insist on wealth redistribution through tax breaks for the wealthy and then complain that a fair tax rate would amount to wealth redistribution?

Why does the left insist on punishing success and rewarding lack of effort?

Oh, yeah. To get people to vote for them. Kerry on.

Now, the majority of individuals who receive a "tax refund" do so because their deductions and credits exceed the amount already paid to the government in taxes.

So in reality they never really paid taxes...

I really am starting to think this boils down to more of a financial illiteracy problem than anything. And the lefties, at least of this board, seem to be chronically financially illiterate. There has to be some fundamental disconnect between what people are taxed and what government does that they just don't get. They have no concept of living within one's means.

WE HAVE A 14 TRILLION DOLLAR DEBT. Politics aside, that means we are spending far, far, far more than we are taking in. Even if we someone all got on the same page and agreed that everything government is doing now is everything it should be doing, we still have to be financially responsible enough as a government and a country to fund these things in a financially sound manner. We aren't doing that now. We are borrowing and borrowing a lot. We are so far in debt the interest alone on the debt as increasing faster than we can pay it down. We aren't even touching the debet at this point. So something has to give. Either government has to spend less, and a lot less, which will take a fundamental redifinitino of the roll of government in society, OR we have to tax everyone more..... a LOT more.

There you go, right on the button: " OR we have to tax everyone more..... a LOT more ", not just the rich people, but everybody. There is no politician today that I know of who will advocate raising taxes on EVERYBODY. Ain't going to happen even if somebody did propose it. So the lefties scream and holler about the rich people and the income inequality, " look at those greedy bastards, let's make them pay for everything! ". But it ain't going to be enough, nowhere near enough but they try to distract and confuse the public with this class warfare rhetoric instead of working with the GOP in a constructive manner to address the REAL problem, which is too fucking much spending.

Jesus Christ, you are stupid. Withholding is based on an ESTIMATE of your tax liability. Its based on assuming that your wages or salary for the paycheck period will not change throughout the year. Your withholding will only match your actual tax liability if you receive income at the same rate throughout the year and you take the standard deduction (even then there's a good chance it won't match). If your income varies at all during the year (which is the case for many low income people) you will likely pay more in withholding than you owe in taxes.

Dude are you like 12? Have you ever held a job? Ever look at your paycheck? Notice there's some missing? You don't have to write checks to the government - your employer does it for you, you ignorant fuckface.

Funnel money to the top percent and then cut wages and benefits for the working poor...it's wrong on so many levels.

Why does the GOP insist on wealth redistribution through tax breaks for the wealthy and then complain that a fair tax rate would amount to wealth redistribution?

Why does the left insist on punishing success and rewarding lack of effort?

Why does the right insist on punishing work so they can reward investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back