Taxing the miles you drive not the gas you burn?

Unless the Congress changed it, as much as 30 percent of the gas tax and sometimes more is raided for other things. In the 90's at one point it was over 50 percent.

I suspect if they would keep their grubby little paws off it, we would be fine. We do not need any new highways built it is all maintenance now. And the Federal Government is ONLY responsible for Federal highways.

Is this FINALLY at least one issue where we conservative minded and liberal minded can all agree?

Jesus I hope so!

Amen!

I think the first mention of this came out of the idea that this type of system using On-Star could keep track of miles-driven for purposes of calculating auto insurance premiums; that as a side benefit it would be useful as an incentive to drive down miles driven, gasoline consumed, and insurance premiums for those who chose to participate.

And you people wonder why we conservatives say democrats want to control every part of your life.

Now they want to control how much we can all drive. Whats next on the list?

Since this is truly unenforcable...why do I forsee more toll bridges and toll roadways in our future?

Exactly, Andrew.

This is an idea that is SO DUMB, I cannot believe that we're even discussing it.

Taxing the fuel that people actually use is a rather well designed USER TAX.

I cannot even imagine a better system for finding revenue to keep our roads in shape than the one we currently have.

We can argue, I suppose, that the tax is too high or not high enough, but this system seems perfect to me.

I can lie to my government about how much I drive, but I cannot lie to the people I purchase my fuel from because they meter how much I put into my tank.

Is this FINALLY at least one issue where we conservative minded and liberal minded can all agree?

Jesus I hope so!

unless you see required inspections once a year to see the odometer

nah, they will make all of us get a ONE PASS or whatever it is called in your region that allows you to go through toll booths without stopping because it registers your device....they all have gps units in there that tracks your/mileage....

hmmm, but then you can just leave that doohickey at home soooo, never mind...that won't be how they track us and our miles.....

the whole thing is ridiculous because they don't need the money....they need to cut their waste, in this area first....
EZ-PASS

and that would mean they would need to install the reading devices everywhere
the cost of that would negate any advantage it would give

nah, they will make all of us get a ONE PASS or whatever it is called in your region that allows you to go through toll booths without stopping because it registers your device....they all have gps units in there that tracks your/mileage....

hmmm, but then you can just leave that doohickey at home soooo, never mind...that won't be how they track us and our miles.....

the whole thing is ridiculous because they don't need the money....they need to cut their waste, in this area first....
EZ-PASS

i don't think there is ANY advantage for the govt to know how many miles i drive, or where i have been to accrue those miles...it is an invasion of privacy and makes them BIG BROTHER....

And the "honor system" on something like this just wouldnt work sooooooo, i say nix the idea altogether! :)

Besides the fact that they don't need the money, they need to get rid of the waste.

EZ-PASS

i don't think there is ANY advantage for the govt to know how many miles i drive, or where i have been to accrue those miles...it is an invasion of privacy and makes them BIG BROTHER....

And the "honor system" on something like this just wouldnt work sooooooo, i say nix the idea altogether! :)

Besides the fact that they don't need the money, they need to get rid of the waste.
no kidding

you're sounding like a conservative now ;)

what do you mean

I only drive 11 and a half miles a year

Exactly, Andrew.

This is an idea that is SO DUMB, I cannot believe that we're even discussing it.

Taxing the fuel that people actually use is a rather well designed USER TAX.

I cannot even imagine a better system for finding revenue to keep our roads in shape than the one we currently have.

We can argue, I suppose, that the tax is too high or not high enough, but this system seems perfect to me.

I can lie to my government about how much I drive, but I cannot lie to the people I purchase my fuel from because they meter how much I put into my tank.

Jesus I hope so!

Why bother with that?

We have a system that works right now.

This proposal makes zero sense.

Forum List

Back