Taxing the miles you drive not the gas you burn?

Wolf

un-american
Feb 7, 2009
Transportation chief eyes taxing miles driven
LaHood's says current gasoline tax not enough to fund infrastructure

WASHINGTON - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Transportation chief eyes taxing miles driven - White House- msnbc.com

Transportation chief eyes taxing miles driven
LaHood's says current gasoline tax not enough to fund infrastructure

WASHINGTON - Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood says he wants to consider taxing motorists based on how many miles they drive rather than how much gasoline they burn — an idea that has angered drivers in some states where it has been proposed.

Gasoline taxes that for nearly half a century have paid for the federal share of highway and bridge construction can no longer be counted on to raise enough money to keep the nation's transportation system moving, LaHood said in an interview with The Associated Press.

Transportation chief eyes taxing miles driven - White House- msnbc.com

Since taxing miles driven doesn't relate to the actual damage to the environment and the stresses on highway and bridge surfaces like gasoline taxes are targetted to do, this tax will have to be in addition to gas taxes, meaning it is just a new tax. It could be useful to track people's travels or their location at a given moment in time. A good excuse would be tracking stolen vehicles perhaps, but that is better selected as an option by the car's purchasers.

Where are all the people that bitch about the Patriot act? GPS' in every car lol. Who will pay for that? Being able to be tracked where ever you go. hell if they pass this I guess I will just rip mine out and bolt it to a tree.

BIG BROTHER WILL BE WATCHING!

Last edited:
I am sure truck drivers will love this

how fucking stupid

step 1 of the Liberal agenda

Get everyone out of their cars an dhop onto busses and bikes

This all could be solved if they reviewed all of the projects in individual states that are paid for with federal dollars....things like the Bridge to Nowhere that came to our attention because of its colossal price tag...but you just know there are a kazillion more projects in the federal transportation bill that are projects that the local governments should be funding AND NOT ALL of us in the USA, leaving the fed gas tax monies for real federal projects on cross country federal highways...

That should be the first step to solving our shortage in funds....

If this doesn't solve the problem, then i guess another tax has to be instituted that does relate to the auto driver...as Mustang, (AH) said...

those that do not drive should not be taxed for those of us that do drive... road usage....

i agree it seems like BS, that those that spend the money and invest in a car that has better fuel usage should be getting a savings from such....

but even if they instituted a usage tax in addition to the gas tax, the person getting better mileage is still saving on the gas taxes, and making out better than others.....

NOTE, that this is not an endorsement to add this tax on my part, because i believe there is enough government waste that could cover all of what is truly our need.

care

"I am sure truck drivers will love this

how fucking stupid

step 1 of the Liberal agenda

Get everyone out of their cars an dhop onto busses and bikes"

if this goes through how many think that 'bike miles' will be taxed as well?

Lord knows when you bike, you exert more, breathing harder, and producing more CO2... so they probably will

<SNIP> those that do not drive should not be taxed for those of us that do drive... road usage....

i agree it seems like BS, that those that spend the money and invest in a car that has better fuel usage should be getting a savings from such....

but even if they instituted a usage tax in addition to the gas tax, the person getting better mileage is still saving on the gas taxes, and making out better than others.....<SNIP>

Cost of road maintenance relates to gas consumption relates directly to weight/axles relates to road wear-and-tear and back to cost of maintenance. Most of us accept taxes targetted to useage/benefits.

This is an absolutely silly idea. The government would lose so much money on this kind of tax. Millions of Americans would lie about the miles they drive, and the IRS doesn't have the time nor the resources to audit this kind of tax. It violates so many standards of what a good tax should be.

This is an absolutely silly idea. The government would lose so much money on this kind of tax. Millions of Americans would lie about the miles they drive, and the IRS doesn't have the time nor the resources to audit this kind of tax. It violates so many standards of what a good tax should be.

what do you mean

I only drive 11 and a half miles a year

what do you mean

Exactly, Andrew.

This is an idea that is SO DUMB, I cannot believe that we're even discussing it.

Taxing the fuel that people actually use is a rather well designed USER TAX.

I cannot even imagine a better system for finding revenue to keep our roads in shape than the one we currently have.

We can argue, I suppose, that the tax is too high or not high enough, but this system seems perfect to me.

I can lie to my government about how much I drive, but I cannot lie to the people I purchase my fuel from because they meter how much I put into my tank.

Is this FINALLY at least one issue where we conservative minded and liberal minded can all agree?

Jesus I hope so!

Yeah, let's tax the shit out of Realtors,Insurance Agents, Farmers and others who produce things or contribute to our society to fund the non productive leeches who need assistance from dear ol' "Uncle Sammy". Them dumbasses in DC are ruining this country and have been for generations.

what do you mean

Exactly, Andrew.

This is an idea that is SO DUMB, I cannot believe that we're even discussing it.

I cannot even imagine a better system for finding revenue to keep our roads in shape than the one we currently have.

We can argue, I suppose, that the tax is too high or not high enough, but this system seems perfect to me.

I can lie to my government about how much I drive, but I cannot lie to the people I purchase my fuel from because they meter how much I put into my tank.

Is this FINALLY at least one issue where we conservative minded and liberal minded can all agree?

Jesus I hope so!

unless you see required inspections once a year to see the odometer

Yeah, let's tax the shit out of Realtors,Insurance Agents, Farmers and others who produce things or contribute to our society to fund the non productive leeches who need assistance from dear ol' "Uncle Sammy". Them dumbasses in DC are ruining this country and have been for generations.

Exactly, this tax will be outrageous for people who commute and for businesses that are involved in a lot of travel.

This tax is hard as shit to levy. There is no way they will be able to collect enough from this tax to cover the cost of even implementing it. First of all, there will be so many exemptions and deductions involved it would take years to write a comprehensive revenue code to implement this tax, and secondly, the cost to write such a law AND to implement it would far outweigh the amount collected. It's a waste of time. The person proposing this plan is an idiot.

what do you mean

Exactly, Andrew.

Jesus I hope so!

unless you see required inspections once a year to see the odometer

nah, they will make all of us get a ONE PASS or whatever it is called in your region that allows you to go through toll booths without stopping because it registers your device....they all have gps units in there that tracks your/mileage....

hmmm, but then you can just leave that doohickey at home soooo, never mind...that won't be how they track us and our miles.....

the whole thing is ridiculous because they don't need the money....they need to cut their waste, in this area first....

Forum List

Back