Taxing Internet Sales

krisy said:
So I guess if the 43 states that want this tax get it,that's a lot of extra money. I don't want to see taxes go up again....right!! :rolleyes:

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?...MPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

I was wondering how long this would take. Internet sales continue to increase every year and the amount of lost sales tax revenues is significant. What puzzles me is why our dumbass federal government has failed to seize this opportunity to increase its tax base by imposing a federal sales tax on internet sales.

I love how states are 'losing' money - they aren't losing ANYTHING; one can't lose what they don't have.

I hate taxes...especially living in this state. :(

-=d=- said:
I love how states are 'losing' money - they aren't losing ANYTHING; one can't lose what they don't have.

I hate taxes...especially living in this state. :(

Previously there was relatively small amounts of sales that happened outside of stores in their jurisdiction, now that many can buy on the Internet sales in the stores in their jurisdiction have fallen. This is the loss of tax money that they speak of.

Merlin1047 said:
I was wondering how long this would take. Internet sales continue to increase every year and the amount of lost sales tax revenues is significant. What puzzles me is why our dumbass federal government has failed to seize this opportunity to increase its tax base by imposing a federal sales tax on internet sales.

Because it would be the first steps toward an actual Federal Sales tax rather than an "income" tax, this causes much opposition as the Federal Government would lose much of its power through such taxation as the gathering of personal information would be held at a minimum.

no1tovote4 said:
Previously there was relatively small amounts of sales that happened outside of stores in their jurisdiction, now that many can buy on the Internet sales in the stores in their jurisdiction have fallen. This is the loss of tax money that they speak of.
but the problem they came up with inthe past was something to the effect of which tax to charge. me being a legal iowa resident, buys something in New York... whose tax applies, the buyers or sellers.
what they need is a national tax on internet sales.

Johnney said:
but the problem they came up with inthe past was something to the effect of which tax to charge. me being a legal iowa resident, buys something in New York... whose tax applies, the buyers or sellers.
what they need is a national tax on internet sales.

The Feds won't do that as they do not want an example of a working Federal Sales Tax to promote it in the minds of the citizenry. As I said previously, this would take from them much of the power they hold over your personal life, all the private information that you give them each year.

I don't tell my mother what I make, why should I have to tell the Government?

New Topics

Forum List

Back