Taxing bad behavior

Part of the health care bill calls for a tax on so-called “Cadillac” health care plans. Just like tobacco, alcohol and water, this will price some people out of the market. Instead, they will settle for a sub-prime health care plan. The government won’t get it’s anticipated revenue stream, and some person will end up not getting the type of medical care they really wanted to and was willing to pay for.

The "anticipated revenue stream" here is folks with employer-sponsored coverage substituting taxable wages for (arguably) overinsurance. Eliminate the tax benefits of piling up ever more expensive high actuarial value plans, and a great many folks with those plans will just prefer cash and more reasonably priced plans.

A higher tax revenue, slower health expenditure growth double whammy.

The tax increase for sure,but it won't slow growth,so lets tell people how they can be compensated,and wring them for all the tax we can??

Why would anyone think higher taxes are good,the Feds and most state and local gov.have shown complete ineptitude at finances,we would be STUPID to give them any more then what they get right now,and most likly the only way to really solve the problem is starve the beast .

Part of the health care bill calls for a tax on so-called “Cadillac” health care plans. Just like tobacco, alcohol and water, this will price some people out of the market. Instead, they will settle for a sub-prime health care plan. The government won’t get it’s anticipated revenue stream, and some person will end up not getting the type of medical care they really wanted to and was willing to pay for.

The "anticipated revenue stream" here is folks with employer-sponsored coverage substituting taxable wages for (arguably) overinsurance. Eliminate the tax benefits of piling up ever more expensive high actuarial value plans, and a great many folks with those plans will just prefer cash and more reasonably priced plans.

The tax increase for sure,but it won't slow growth,so lets tell people how they can be compensated,and wring them for all the tax we can??

Why would anyone think higher taxes are good,the Feds and most state and local gov.have shown complete ineptitude at finances,we would be STUPID to give them any more then what they get right now,and most likly the only way to really solve the problem is starve the beast .

yeah, those 90% tax rates simultaneous with building the greatest infrastructure and middle class in human history, how did we manage!

"Putting special taxes on medical related goods and services isn’t going to improve medical care any more that putting special taxes on tobacco increases the sale of tobacco products."

False analogy. The idea is to reduce the costs in the long run, not increase the revenue stream.

Here are two opinions from people who disagree with you:

Senator Scott Brown (R) Ma

The medical device tax threatens our economy and our economic recovery in Massachusetts. And with more than 400 medical device firms and employing nearly 25,000 workers and contributing more than $4 billion to our economy, the Commonwealth can simply not afford to have this industry targeted with the tax.
If enacted, this harmful tax will put American workers at a competitive disadvantage and chase jobs overseas.

The medical device tax would likely cost 43,000 jobs across the country at the loss of $3.5 billion in wages. Massachusetts alone is estimated to lose more than 2,600 jobs as a direct result of this tax, so about 10% of our entire medical device manufacturing workforce.
Candidate Elizabeth Warren’s position ‘evolves.’ (D) Ma

On April 17, 2012, Democratic Senatorial candidate Elizabeth Warren announced a reversal of her own position on this issue, saying that “innovation is a vital part of who we are” and that the medical device industry in Massachusetts accounts for “13% of all state exports.” Warren said that the Excise Tax would slow the pace of innovation and harm Massachusetts employers.

Go back and read them carefully, please.

The sillies went off OP, and I was correcting their silliness, dblack, as I am correcting your here for being silly.
Of course our government engages in 'social engineering,' the use of federal law and force to make civilians comply with its intent and purpose of law.

The only question is whether the engineering is a legitimate exercise of governmental power.

The question of this thread is whether the taxation power should be used for such purposes.

Of course our government engages in 'social engineering,' the use of federal law and force to make civilians comply with its intent and purpose of law.

The only question is whether the engineering is a legitimate exercise of governmental power.

<tedious Starkey ad hominem redacted />

The question of this thread is whether the taxation power should be used for such purposes.

who has taxation power in our govt?

You don't know??

You are welcome, be grateful i asked the question, which had you googling it, then when you found out the answer you realized you needed to shut up since you had no argument, I do respect someone who knows when they are defeated, so good on you for that.

You are welcome, be grateful i asked the question, which had you googling it, then when you found out the answer you realized you needed to shut up since you had no argument, I do respect someone who knows when they are defeated, so good on you for that.

Heh.. sure.

Listen, you just seem confused about the topic - which may not be your fault.

To review: No one has questioned that Congress has the power to tax. The issue is whether that power should be constrained by the principle of equal protection or not. In particular, should congress be allowed to use taxation as a means of punishing some while rewarding others? Should they be allowed to use taxation as stealth legislation - to manipulate behavior in ways they couldn't get away with via straightforward laws? Now, do you have an opinion on that?

In the mean time, if you like to crow 'Victory!!" and do a happy dance, I've got no call to stop you. Enjoy!

yeah, those 90% tax rates simultaneous with building the greatest infrastructure and middle class in human history, how did we manage!

Mostly because NOBODY paid the 90% tax rate. There were so many legitimate deductions that the people in the upper brackets barely paid a 40% EFFECTIVE tax rate.

Mostly because NOBODY paid the 90% tax rate. There were so many legitimate deductions that the people in the upper brackets barely paid a 40% EFFECTIVE tax rate.

If that. But taxing vices is sound policy. Gamble, guzzle, inhale/don't inhale, but smoke it, or drive with a lead foot, pay for it.

Taxing bad behavior

It is common knowledge that the government can reduce “bad” behavior by taxing or penalizing it.
Tobacco and alcohol use are the perfect examples. Every time the tax rates increase on tobacco products, some people quit using tobacco. It happens with alcohol also. Some people quit or reduce consumption because they can’t afford it anymore. Some because they just don’t want to pay the increased taxes.

A few years, the city of Chicago instituted a 5 cent tax on bottled water. They said they needed the tax money because all those empty bottles were getting into landfills. I guess they sort of forgot about their recycling programs. The sales of bottled water dropped, and Chicago didn’t get the revenue stream they anticipated and wrote into their budget.

By the way, the reason I know this about Chicago’s bottled water tax is because I am the IT person for a fortune 100 retailer that had to develop the reporting so that our company could collect and pay the tax to the city. Our sales of water have dropped dramatically since the tax was introduced.

Another part of the health care bill calls for taxing manufacturers of medical equipment. I am willing to bet, those costs will be passed on and some doctor or hospital will just buy less medical equipment. The anticipated taxes won’t be realized, and the medical services that could have been provided with that equipment won’t be available.

Anybody with a lick of common sense knows that unfairly taxing something reduces a person’s propensity to engage in that behavior. Putting special taxes on medical related goods and services isn’t going to improve medical care any more that putting special taxes on tobacco increases the sale of tobacco products.
I'm not sure why the government thinks medical care is bad behavior.
Here you GO!!

Show everyone WHERE.....

.....in Health Care Reform
http://www.healthcare.gov/law/timeline/index.html

<tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick>.....

Yeah......that's what I thought.......​
[/QUOTE]

Sec. 9009. Imposition of annual fee on medical device manufacturers and importers.

My bad, they called it a "fee" instead of a "tax".

dblack attempted to and failed at redefining the OP. Yes, it is a fail for him.

dblack attempted to and failed at redefining the OP. Yes, it is a fail for him.

You always accuse people of redefining terms while you use definitions of your own devising with no links to support them

Is that the only arrow in your quiver of argument skills?

I "always" confront extremists of either wing who (1) try to redefine definitions and facts or (2) try to redefine the OP or (3) try to make their opinions and beliefs as evidence and proof.

You do that all the time, SP.

dblack did that and got kicked. Every time you do that, you will get kicked.

Stay on track.

I "always" confront extremists of either wing who (1) try to redefine definitions and facts or (2) try to redefine the OP or (3) try to make their opinions and beliefs as evidence and proof.

You do that all the time, SP.

dblack did that and got kicked. Every time you do that, you will get kicked.

Stay on track.

And yet you never include links to support your so called confrontation.

Or did you make up a definition for that word too?

No one is required to give evidence to rebut other folks' opinions.

Opinions are not fact or proof, period.

Give solid, credible evidence, SP, and you will have a discussion.

"Confrontation" is your word, and a weak mind's tactic: put words in another person's mouth. You said it, not me, weak mind. I said "confront", which means "oppose."

No one is required to give evidence to rebut other folks' opinions.

Opinions are not fact or proof, period.

Give solid, credible evidence, SP, and you will have a discussion.

"Confrontation" is your word, and a weak mind's tactic: put words in another person's mouth. You said it, not me, weak mind. I said "confront", which means "oppose."

I include links more often than you yet you ignore them so you can "confront" people with your incorrect definitions so as to falsely claim some sort of victory in the argument.

Here's an example

You defined social engineering as

"Social engineering" is the use of governmental force to change cultural and social behavior.

That is a made up definition

I provided you a link to the definition accepted by sociologists.

It's no one's fault but your own that you don't support your arguments at all

Forum List

Back