TAXES: what the 1% have paid for 100 years

The income tax rate jumped to 63% on 1% in 1932! Could this be the Depression Era.

A tax rate of over 50% (peaking at 94%) is nothing less than highway robbery. Don't you feel guilty that you support such injustice?:evil:

Great Depression was caused by tax increase and Big Gubbamint spending

1925 to 1929 the 1% tax rate was 25 , much lower than it had been for years.

Um, are you trying to defeat your own arguments?

Top US Marginal Income Tax Rates, 1913--2003 (TruthAndPolitics.org)

Take a look at this chart and its numbers.

When we have lowered the tax rate on the 1% in this country what have they done to thank us??????

They fucked our economy.

LOL, did your mom drop you on your head when you were a kid? The chart you linked doesn't support your assertion.

It's amazing how you government worshiping drones yip and yap in support of everyone paying as much tithes as possible to your politician gods, except of course yourselves.

Truthmatters is a classic example of the state education system.... Not taught HOW to think, they are taught WHAT to think.

I take it niether of you actually looked at the chart of the years we gave big tax cuts to the 1%.

I also note neither of you could remark on the Facts presented.

Tell me what the rate was in the years leading up to the great depression?

Truth.... so what percentage of their money should the government take? Give us a percentage of their total income?

For 13 years starting 1951 the top tax rate was 91 % or more.

Those were the years the US was doing just fine and had GREAT schools, we were seen by the world as the greatest power and a model to emulate.

How is it that now some idiots think we will collapse if we raise taxes on the 1%?

When we have lowered the tax rate on the 1% in this country what have they done to thank us??????

They fucked our economy.

LOL, did your mom drop you on your head when you were a kid? The chart you linked doesn't support your assertion.

It's amazing how you government worshiping drones yip and yap in support of everyone paying as much tithes as possible to your politician gods, except of course yourselves.

Truthmatters is a classic example of the state education system.... Not taught HOW to think, they are taught WHAT to think.

More like a classic example of progressive brain washing if you ask me, I beginning to suspect he/she is a graduate of the Khmer Rouge re-education camps or something. :eusa_angel:

They fucked our economy.

I looked through the series of tubes and found an interesting subject to discuss and you have offered NOTHING but personal insults.

I think you need resemble your own remarks little girl.

I take it niether of you actually looked at the chart of the years we gave big tax cuts to the 1%.

Truth.... so what percentage of their money should the government take? Give us a percentage of their total income?

And then explain this

The Historical Lessons of Lower Tax Rates

1) Lower tax rates do not mean less tax revenue.

The tax cuts of the 1920s
Tax rates were slashed dramatically during the 1920s, dropping from over 70 percent to less than 25 percent. What happened? Personal income tax revenues increased substantially during the 1920s, despite the reduction in rates. Revenues rose from $719 million in 1921 to $1164 million in 1928, an increase of more than 61 percent.

According to then-Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon:

The history of taxation shows that taxes which are inherently excessive are not paid. The high rates inevitably put pressure upon the taxpayer to withdraw his capital from productive business and invest it in tax-exempt securities or to find other lawful methods of avoiding the realization of taxable income. The result is that the sources of taxation are drying up; wealth is failing to carry its share of the tax burden; and capital is being diverted into channels which yield neither revenue to the Government nor profit to the people.

The Kennedy tax cuts
President Hoover dramatically increased tax rates in the 1930s and President Roosevelt compounded the damage by pushing marginal tax rates to more than 90 percent. Recognizing that high tax rates were hindering the economy, President Kennedy proposed across-the-board tax rate reductions that reduced the top tax rate from more than 90 percent down to 70 percent. What happened? Tax revenues climbed from $94 billion in 1961 to $153 billion in 1968, an increase of 62 percent (33 percent after adjusting for inflation).

According to President John F. Kennedy:

Our true choice is not between tax reduction, on the one hand, and the avoidance of large Federal deficits on the other. It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenues to balance our budget just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits… In short, it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.

The Reagan tax cuts
Thanks to “bracket creep,” the inflation of the 1970s pushed millions of taxpayers into higher tax brackets even though their inflation-adjusted incomes were not rising. To help offset this tax increase and also to improve incentives to work, save, and invest, President Reagan proposed sweeping tax rate reductions during the 1980s. What happened? Total tax revenues climbed by 99.4 percent during the 1980s, and the results are even more impressive when looking at what happened to personal income tax revenues. Once the economy received an unambiguous tax cut in January 1983, income tax revenues climbed dramatically, increasing by more than 54 percent by 1989 (28 percent after adjusting for inflation).

According to then-U.S. Representative Jack Kemp (R-NY), one of the chief architects of the Reagan tax cuts:

At some point, additional taxes so discourage the activity being taxed, such as working or investing, that they yield less revenue rather than more. There are, after all, two rates that yield the same amount of revenue: high tax rates on low production, or low rates on high production.

Please TM tell me how can a tax cut increase revenue?

And what would you proposed tax hikes do to revenue?

More like a classic example of progressive brain washing if you ask me, I beginning to suspect he/she is a graduate of the Khmer Rouge re-education camps or something. :eusa_angel:

Go back to meisers and find an argument to refute this baby

They fucked our economy.

Ain't it the truth!

And then explain this

Tax rates were slashed dramatically during the 1920s, dropping from over 70 percent to less than 25 percent. What happened? Personal income tax revenues increased substantially during the 1920s, despite the reduction in rates. Revenues rose from $719 million in 1921 to $1164 million in 1928, an increase of more than 61 percent.

The history of taxation shows that taxes which are inherently excessive are not paid. The high rates inevitably put pressure upon the taxpayer to withdraw his capital from productive business and invest it in tax-exempt securities or to find other lawful methods of avoiding the realization of taxable income. The result is that the sources of taxation are drying up; wealth is failing to carry its share of the tax burden; and capital is being diverted into channels which yield neither revenue to the Government nor profit to the people.

The Kennedy tax cuts
President Hoover dramatically increased tax rates in the 1930s and President Roosevelt compounded the damage by pushing marginal tax rates to more than 90 percent. Recognizing that high tax rates were hindering the economy, President Kennedy proposed across-the-board tax rate reductions that reduced the top tax rate from more than 90 percent down to 70 percent. What happened? Tax revenues climbed from $94 billion in 1961 to $153 billion in 1968, an increase of 62 percent (33 percent after adjusting for inflation).

Our true choice is not between tax reduction, on the one hand, and the avoidance of large Federal deficits on the other. It is increasingly clear that no matter what party is in power, so long as our national security needs keep rising, an economy hampered by restrictive tax rates will never produce enough revenues to balance our budget just as it will never produce enough jobs or enough profits… In short, it is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low and the soundest way to raise the revenues in the long run is to cut the rates now.

The Reagan tax cuts
Thanks to “bracket creep,” the inflation of the 1970s pushed millions of taxpayers into higher tax brackets even though their inflation-adjusted incomes were not rising. To help offset this tax increase and also to improve incentives to work, save, and invest, President Reagan proposed sweeping tax rate reductions during the 1980s. What happened? Total tax revenues climbed by 99.4 percent during the 1980s, and the results are even more impressive when looking at what happened to personal income tax revenues. Once the economy received an unambiguous tax cut in January 1983, income tax revenues climbed dramatically, increasing by more than 54 percent by 1989 (28 percent after adjusting for inflation).

According to then-U.S. Representative Jack Kemp (R-NY), one of the chief architects of the Reagan tax cuts:

At some point, additional taxes so discourage the activity being taxed, such as working or investing, that they yield less revenue rather than more. There are, after all, two rates that yield the same amount of revenue: high tax rates on low production, or low rates on high production.

I gave you historical numbers and you give me a biased sites bullshit in return?

I looked through the series of tubes and found an interesting subject to discuss and you have offered NOTHING but personal insults.

I think you need resemble your own remarks little girl.

Don't whine about personal insults, sweetie. It's not my fault you're stupid. I just call it as I see it.

You think that wealthy people should thank you. Stupid.

You think they are to blame for the economy being in the crapper. Stupid.

Therefore, you are stupid. You provided the evidence, I just analysed it and called you on it.

And then explain this

The Kennedy tax cuts

The Reagan tax cuts

I gave you historical numbers and you give me a biased sites bullshit in return?

The numbers come from government data.

The facts are the facts.

Those tax cuts resulted in increased government tax revenue.

So answer the question.

Why did those tax cuts increase government tax revenue and what would a huge tax hike do to tax revenue?

Here are the visual aids Please note the sources of these charts.

bg1086c4.gif

bg1086c6.gif

bg1086c10.gif

Last edited:

Go back to meisers and find an argument to refute this baby

As soon as you present a coherent argument I will be happy to refute it but since all you've presented so far is your typical, utter nonsense........

BTW WTF is "meisers"

Look at the rates under Reagan

You do realize that under Reagan America (BY AMERICANS) produced 28% of the world's goods in 1987. That is the highest percentage that America (or anyone) has ever produced of the world's goods.

Reagan was also responsible for producing 20 million jobs and reversed the worst economic President's Presidency!:clap2:

You do realize that what was done under Carter helped the economy recover at the expense of his second term right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Volcker

Last edited:
And then explain this

The facts are the facts.

So answer the question.

Why did those tax cuts increase government tax revenue and what would a huge tax hike do to tax revenue?
The laffer curve....read about it...it only works up to a certain degree on tax cuts

How did the tax hike during the Clinton era do? :eusa_whistle: I'd say pretty damn well!

The facts are the facts.

So answer the question.

The laffer curve....read about it...it only works up to a certain degree on tax cuts

How did the tax hike during the Clinton era do? :eusa_whistle: I'd say pretty damn well!

Are you actually saying that we are in danger of having too little government?

And you Clinton sycophants never seem to mention that a lot of the so called prosperity under Mr can't keep his dick in his pants was due to the tech bubble that burst right after he left office. not really a lasting legacy.

Last edited:
Reagan gave the working class a 100% increase on SS taxes....that's why you brought in more money in revenues silly...

Reagan also raised other taxes, after he cut some....

Forum List

Back