Taxes.. How much is TOO MUCH?

I asked Polk in another thread to identify how much of a well off person's income should be paid in total taxes. He said it was a stupid question.

The Left things income and wealth creation just spontanenously happen without limit regardless of tax policy.

At some point, the marginal return for working drops to the point where the productive folks say "no more". We're getting there quickly.

I think only tax payers should be allowed to answer this one...

Answer: Anytime half of the country pays enough taxes for the whole country that is too high.

Succinct. To the point. Brilliant. :clap2:

But we are going to have to work a lot harder, I think, to convince some of our more difficult friends how dangerous such a situation is for our choices, freedoms, opportunities, and how corrupting it is to both government and those who pay little or no taxes.

I asked Polk in another thread to identify how much of a well off person's income should be paid in total taxes. He said it was a stupid question.

The Left things income and wealth creation just spontanenously happen without limit regardless of tax policy.

At some point, the marginal return for working drops to the point where the productive folks say "no more". We're getting there quickly.

Let me guess. Polk didn't have an answer for that did he? Leftists almost never do. Instead they divert and point to evil corporations or the rich getting richer or whatever. But they never have an answer for how much is enough.

imho Everyone should pay exactly the same % taxes on all income with no deductions.

I agree - with the caveat that that be a low #, as in below 20%. 10% would be my limit.

imho Everyone should pay exactly the same % taxes on all income with no deductions.

I agree that the tax rates should be a uniform percentage and applied evenly across the board with no prejudice.

I don't have a problem with certain deductions being allowed to provide incentive for home ownership, charitable giving, savings, purchasing healthcare, etc. but again such deductions should be applied evenly across the board and without prejudice.

Only when we stop dividing people into classes, races, genders, etc. will we achieve the true equality that most of us say that we want.

Just a little more info..

When thinking about all the services provided by federal, state and local governments, 75% of voters nationwide say the average American should pay no more than 20% of their income in taxes. However, the latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that most voters (55%) believe the average American actually pays 30% or more of their income in taxes.

Sixty-six percent (66%) believe that America is overtaxed. Only 25% disagree.

According to Fiscal 2011 federal budget documents, taxes paid to federal, state and local governments totaled 25% of GDP in 2009. Total government spending totaled 36% of GDP.

66% Say America Is Overtaxed - Rasmussen Reports

Last edited:
The Cato institute people have been studing countries that have rolled out a flat tax. This link shows advantages for America.

Eliminate Tax Brackets and Complicated Forms with a Flat Tax | Daniel J. Mitchell | Cato Institute: Commentary

“Tax reform may seem like an impossible dream, but it can happen. Achieving a flat tax in America will not be easy. Everyone who benefits from the current system—politicians, accountants, bureaucrats, and lobbyists—will fight to keep the IRS. But if the American people get angry enough, anything is possible.”

I think "too much" can be defined as the government taking in more than enough to pay off its debt and obligations.

taxes should be quite minimum. 10% at most. the issue is that liberals keep wanting more entitlements and righties keep wanting more wars so we need more taxes. don't bitch about the tax increases, bitch and fight against the justifications used.

How do we know government will be a worthy steward of the new taxes when they have completely fucked up managing the old ones?

they won't be but there isn't much you can do about it expect voted in actual small gov reps who will cut back thes pending

The current Congress is opting not to put a new budget together, fearing voter backlacsh from hard choices. Instead, they are leaving the current one on autopilot on a path to doubling the nation's debt.

Forum List

Back