Taxes have gone up. For everyone.

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
Just checked my bank and sure enough my Military retirement was about $17 less than it used to be. Taxes went up but we didn't get a Cost of Living Allowance this year. Seems as though Taxes aren't a part of living expenses I guess.

I wonder how that Hope and Change is going to work out for people.

:salute:

Just checked my bank and sure enough my Military retirement was about $17 less than it used to be. Taxes went up but we didn't get a Cost of Living Allowance this year. Seems as though Taxes aren't a part of living expenses I guess.

It's about time the Federal retirees started to feel what those of us in the private sector have been feeling for a couple of years now. Please tell me you weren't looking for sympathy with this whine?

Is this because that "tax cut' enacted early in 2009 wasn't a "tax cut" but a "withholding cut"?
I noted this when it was passed and tried to tell people that they would still be paying the same amount, just have to come up with the cash on 4/1/10 instead of a little at a time.
That "withholding cut" expired on 1/1/10.

Is this because that "tax cut' enacted early in 2009 wasn't a "tax cut" but a "withholding cut"?
I noted this when it was passed and tried to tell people that they would still be paying the same amount, just have to come up with the cash on 4/1/10 instead of a little at a time.
That "withholding cut" expired on 1/1/10.

All of my retired friends received a letter letting them know about the changes two weeks ago. Did you not get one, Ollie?

They're just giving their thanks for you defending FreeDumb....aka.... being an on call mercenary for the multi national corporations "rights" to do whatever the hell they want to do, wherever they want to do it.

They're just giving their thanks for you defending FreeDumb....aka.... being an on call mercenary for the multi national corporations "rights" to do whatever the hell they want to do, wherever they want to do it.

Statements like that one indicate you are simply a waste of space on our planet. I don't blame you though, we really need to fix our broken schools.

No Vayank I don't care one bit for Sympathy, and this is not a cry or whine. I knew this was coming for a long time. I figured I would find out how many knew why before too many got their first paycheck of the year.

Looks like slackjawed was just waiting for this post and hit it head on.

And no, for some odd reason I didn't get the notification in the mail. I suppose i'll go to Mypay and print it out for the record.

As for Hope and Change? My retirement funds were up 38% in 2009. My company cut my raise for next year as well as my bonus structure. I still have a job though, so I guess all in all, it is going well for me.

Taxes have not gone up. There has been NO increase in income tax as of right now. Bush's tax cuts don't expire till the end of 2010.

Your right, taxes have not gone up. The withholding rates have returned to the levels they were at before they were reduced in the beginning of 2009. That means it looks like less in your paycheck as more is withheld than was last month.
That's what this thread was about, not retired military pay. That hasn't been reduced either.
We were told when the withholding rates were reduced that it would be rare that someone would owe taxes at the lower withholding rate.
I find that hard to believe.
I am waiting for people to start filing taxes so we can see just how many owe taxes and a penalty for not having enough withheld.

Taxes have not gone up. There has been NO increase in income tax as of right now. Bush's tax cuts don't expire till the end of 2010.

Your right, taxes have not gone up. The withholding rates have returned to the levels they were at before they were reduced in the beginning of 2009. That means it looks like less in your paycheck as more is withheld than was last month.
That's what this thread was about, not retired military pay. That hasn't been reduced either.
We were told when the withholding rates were reduced that it would be rare that someone would owe taxes at the lower withholding rate.
I find that hard to believe.
I am waiting for people to start filing taxes so we can see just how many owe taxes and a penalty for not having enough withheld.

That is right.

This was part of the stimulus package that was rejected by the republicans but now you are complaining about it going away???

No care4all, this is a reminder to everyone. read all the posts. slackjawed hit it right off the get go. just remember that if you are used to getting back $2000 or $600 every year when you file your taxes; Forget it it's not going to be as much this year.

Many people never understood that Obama wasn't giving them anything when their pay went up, he was just letting them hold onto their own money; for a little while. April 15th they have to pay the piper. Same rates as last year but not as much withheld.

We'll see who is doing the complaining when they start to file.

No care4all, this is a reminder to everyone. read all the posts. slackjawed hit it right off the get go. just remember that if you are used to getting back $2000 or $600 every year when you file your taxes; Forget it it's not going to be as much this year.

Many people never understood that Obama wasn't giving them anything when their pay went up, he was just letting them hold onto their own money; for a little while. April 15th they have to pay the piper. Same rates as last year but not as much withheld.

We'll see who is doing the complaining when they start to file.

So your headline was intentionally dishonest?

I'm sure people will complain - and I'm sure it'll be the same people who complained when Obama passed the withholding cut in the first place. People will complain because they don't know what they're talking about. People complain all the time.

It doesn't change the fact that NO ONES TAXES HAVE GONE UP. No one will pay a higher tax rate this year than they did last year.

Forum List

Back