Taxes: Fair compromise?

Fair compromise?

• Total voters
What is Obama's credibility about cutting spending, having grown government 24% in two years?

LINK PLEASE to substantiate your 24% in 2 years.....(i won't hold my breath)

obama's first butget was the fiscal 2010 budget which ended 2 months ago, and he reduced the deficit from Bush's last fiscal budget from 2009 by about 50 billion.

maybe you need to familiarize your self with the US fiscal budget

What is Obama's credibility about cutting spending, having grown government 24% in two years?

obama's first butget was the fiscal 2010 budget which ended 2 months ago, and he reduced the deficit from Bush's last fiscal budget from 2009 by about 50 billion.

I was actually generous. Obama exploded the baseline by 28%.

CBO Budget Baseline Shows that Soaring Spending is Drowning America in Debt | The Heritage Foundation

Non-defense discretionary spending has leaped 28 percent over the past two years

Umm a couple of wars and the worst recession since the great depression?

I do not think we should reduce any taxes for a couple of years at least. But we DO need to cut spending where we can. Closing about 2/3 of our overseas military bases would be a start. The govt employee wage freeze is another good move.
Agressively pursue medicaid/medicare fraud, enact some really nasty penalties for it.

It will not happen but I still say the best thing we culd do is a pure flat personal invome tax on ALL personal income with no deductions or minimums.
you make 41 you pay a dime you make 1 millin you still pay 10%

the only tax breaks I can see as sensible right now are ones for companies that actually create US jobs. And we need to penalize those that move jobs overseas with tarrifs on imported goods.
We have no need for a corporate headquarters here when virtually all the jobs they create are overseas.

The runrate of spending for the wars was already in the 2007 outlays of $2.8T.

Keynesian Economics don't work. We now have yet another, although much larger, demonstration.

ahh but Keynesian economoic is just as the banking industry designed it.
Our government overspending is not all of the problem folks.
look to those who profit from the overspending. And I do not mean poor folks, they just stay alive not fill their pockets and buy yachts with govt dollars.

Agreed. The Spending benefits Big Government Cronies.

But the fact that the Cronies exist, doesn't give Big Government a pass to continue to behavior.

I was actually generous. Obama exploded the baseline by 28%.

CBO Budget Baseline Shows that Soaring Spending is Drowning America in Debt | The Heritage Foundation

Non-defense discretionary spending has leaped 28 percent over the past two years

sorry revere....YOU SAID obama raised the budget spending 24% in 2 years....and that is impossible because obama has only completed ONE BUDGET, the budget for fiscal 2010 which had a $50 pluys billion dollar reduction in deficit compared with the 2009 fiscal budget, was his first and we have 10 more months before his second year's budget is said and done, and lots can happen between now and then...

the numbers in the heritage article you linked puts a dismal outlook on our future, but whether obama is in office or was ever in office would NOT CHANGE that dismal outlook.... SS spending Will be going up AUTOMATICALLY due to more boomers hitting retirement, the medicare spending will also automatically be going up for the same reason, more boomers, the interest payments on our debt will also automatically go up as well.... so, no matter who is in office, we still have those increases in mandatory spending, without a single new appropriations bill.

we are in big big big trouble, but i can assure you that obama actions couldn't be more than 10% of it, 90% comes from actions taken/programs instituted BEFORE obama's election....

and before you snide me as an obama bot, i have no deference towards obama, i did not vote for him.

Umm a couple of wars and the worst recession since the great depression?

I do not think we should reduce any taxes for a couple of years at least. But we DO need to cut spending where we can. Closing about 2/3 of our overseas military bases would be a start. The govt employee wage freeze is another good move.
Agressively pursue medicaid/medicare fraud, enact some really nasty penalties for it.

It will not happen but I still say the best thing we culd do is a pure flat personal invome tax on ALL personal income with no deductions or minimums.
you make 41 you pay a dime you make 1 millin you still pay 10%

the only tax breaks I can see as sensible right now are ones for companies that actually create US jobs. And we need to penalize those that move jobs overseas with tarrifs on imported goods.
We have no need for a corporate headquarters here when virtually all the jobs they create are overseas.

The runrate of spending for the wars was already in the 2007 outlays of $2.8T.

Keynesian Economics don't work. We now have yet another, although much larger, demonstration.

ahh but Keynesian economoic is just as the banking industry designed it.
Our government overspending is not all of the problem folks.
look to those who profit from the overspending. And I do not mean poor folks, they just stay alive not fill their pockets and buy yachts with govt dollars.

And bob's your uncle.

Financials fill their pockets with government accounts like 401ks. Why the heck does anyone think all this stuff was "to big to fail"?

Along with big fat government contracts with companies like GM.

No.

As a country, we are not under taxed.

The government spends too much money. Absolute dollar outlays (real dollars spent, not budget gimmick garbage) have increased f4rom $2.8T in 2007 to a projected $3.7T this year.

Did we have cumulative inflation of 30% in the past three years? - no

Did the private sector grow 30% in the past three years? - no

Then why on this Good Green Earth should the Federal Government be spending such unseemly amount of money?
:doubt: I didn't ask about spending, and while I agree that we should reduce it you are simply deflecting.

The House Dems just basically voted to allow every American to continue paying today's lower tax rates on the first $250,000 of their income.

Do you believe this is a fair compromise given the deficits we have racked up in the past several years?

No.

It should all be allowed to expire.

Along with stopping the wars..and cutting the spending.

This whole thing is theater..and shows that no one is serious.
Thank you for taking the question seriously.

I am not sure that a compromise at this time isn't the best we can hope for considering the economic climate.

All or nothing is sometimes counter productive.

The republican party clearly proved that cutting taxes does not cut spending nor the debt.

There is no move to cut taxes. We want the current taxes to stay the same as they have been. Any more lies you want to tell?

Lies? while repubs had control of both houses and the presidency they cut taxes and spent like drunken sailors.
What more proof do you need?
And bush vetoed not one single spending bill during that time.

there is no reason on earth for anyone to now believe that Republicans will actually cut spending.

Unless you still believe in the tooth fairy and santa.

Last edited:
Or compromise with one that had their asses kicked in 2008.

See how that works?

People are stupid, but in theory they can learn.
But I am not holding my breath.

No.

The government spends too much money. Absolute dollar outlays (real dollars spent, not budget gimmick garbage) have increased f4rom $2.8T in 2007 to a projected $3.7T this year.

Then why on this Good Green Earth should the Federal Government be spending such unseemly amount of money?

The expenses of the federal government increase when private sector spending declines.

Only if one holds the beliefs of a Statist.

No, only if one believes in a place called reality. The state's expenses neccesarily and automatically increase when private-sector spending decreases.

When prices of products and services the state uses goes up so does state spending.
I wonder how much the price of oil rising raised govt spending?
Those ships burn lots of bunker oil, planes, tanks, etc and tens of thousands of vehicles driven by govt employees. Heating and cooling costs for govt buldings, Food for the troops prices went up, etc

How much does an M1 tank cost now vs 10 years ago?

No.

The expenses of the federal government increase when private sector spending declines.

Only if one holds the beliefs of a Statist.
boe,

Reality:

Unemployment compensation, food stamps, tanf, Medicaid, heating oil assistance, ALL GO UP IN COSTS, when the private sector/ economy is not doing well!

Forum List

Back