Taxes at Lowest Levels in 60 Years

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Taxes at Lowest Levels in 60 Years -- Political Wire

Despite big tax cuts included last year's economic stimulus package, the latest CBS News/New York Times poll finds that as many as 34% of Americans think President Obama raised their taxes.

William Gale, head of the Tax Policy Center at the Brookings Institution, tells CBS News that federal taxes are actually "at their lowest levels in 60 years."

Said Gale: "The relation between what is said in the tax debate and what is true about tax policy is often quite tenuous. The rise of the Tea Party at at time when taxes are literally at their lowest in decades is really hard to understand."

:eusa_think:

Which tax cuts and which federal taxes?

Refundable tax credits and jimmying withholding are not reductions in tax rates. Moreover, numerous taxes other than the income tax have been raised through the roof (i.e. the $1.00 per-pack federal tax on cigarettes and the nearly $1.00 per-stick tax on cigars).

Despite big tax cuts included last year's economic stimulus package, the latest CBS News/New York Times poll finds that as many as 34% of Americans think President Obama raised their taxes.

William Gale, head of the Tax Policy Center at the Brookings Institution, tells CBS News that federal taxes are actually "at their lowest levels in 60 years."

Said Gale: "The relation between what is said in the tax debate and what is true about tax policy is often quite tenuous. The rise of the Tea Party at at time when taxes are literally at their lowest in decades is really hard to understand."

Anecdotally speaking, at just under $40k between local, state, and fed, mine have never been higher. I'm just lucky not to live in a state with an income tax.

Last edited:

Anecdotally speaking, at just under $40k between local, state, and fed, mine have never been higher. I'm just luck not to live in a state with an income tax.

Well I mean it's not like he said if you're making over $200,000 or $250,000 as a family your taxes wouldn't be going up. It was blatant in the campaign rhetoric that taxes for people making over those amounts would be getting increased taxes.

This isn't too appease anyone, but rather, just to illustrate the madness of what's going on in our politics. The richest people aren't tea party members, it's mostly small business owners and average Americans who ARE experiencing lower taxes. Recently I've noticed when this is pointed out, the opposition extrapolates potential taxes for the future.

"Just you wait, in 2013 taxes will be SKY high". Well I'm glad you all have crystal balls but i'm going to live in the present.

Which tax cuts and which federal taxes?

Refundable tax credits and jimmying withholding are not reductions in tax rates. Moreover, numerous taxes other than the income tax have been raised through the roof (i.e. the $1.00 per-pack federal tax on cigarettes and the nearly $1.00 per-stick tax on cigars).

"Numerous taxes" Dude? How about one tax.

Tobacco tax.

Is that what the Tea Party is so fired up about? Tobacco tax?

Well I mean it's not like he said if you're making over $200,000 or $250,000 as a family your taxes wouldn't be going up. It was blatant in the campaign rhetoric that taxes for people making over those amounts would be getting increased taxes.

This isn't too appease anyone, but rather, just to illustrate the madness of what's going on in our politics. The richest people aren't tea party members, it's mostly small business owners and average Americans who ARE experiencing lower taxes. Recently I've noticed when this is pointed out, the opposition extrapolates potential taxes for the future.

"Just you wait, in 2013 taxes will be SKY high". Well I'm glad you all have crystal balls but i'm going to live in the present.

Actually the richest people ARE apparently Tea Party members.

They recently conducted a set of polls showing that Tea Party members are, on average, significantly more wealthy than the general population.

That being said, they're all protesting taxes at a point that taxes are their lowest, in general, in years, as the OP stated.

Forum List

Back