TAXES are done, I can breath again!!!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
Outside of the first 8 years together, I have been responsible for our taxes....and not once in the last 10 years of doing them, have I not waited till the absolute last minute, to finish them and file them...APRIL 15th, and sometimes APRIL 16the if Patriot's Day falls on the 15th.

When my husband had taken on a job, where his home base, his operation was out of our home....(considered a small business) it became real complicated and he did not have the time to do them so turbo tax for business, it was! :D And I learned a thing or two!

Now that we bought our home up here outright, the hubby is working less than 35 hours a week at a menial job for the health insurance coverage and to pay property taxes and the heating and food bill :eek:, and I am not working out of the home at all....we really can only file the short form with no deductions other than the standard deductions.

Yet, some how, STUPID Turbo tax and Taxact, even when I upgraded to their most expensive programs, could not do my taxes correctly, due to a flaw in their programs that did not have a certain form that i needed, and mentioned on line 46 or 50? of the 1040 as well.

This pissed me off....BIG TIME....because i wanted to file electronically so i could get our money back...and because turbotax and tax act did not have the provision for this form that i needed for an inheritance of an Ira that we got in 2008 from matt's dead mom, the programs could not figure my State taxes due correctly either.

I even went in to the IRS to see if they could help me, and they too were UNAWARE of this particular form and the tax advantages of using it...i found it on the irs's site, when researching beneficiaries of IRA's....but the irs office was just cluless and insisted I file my taxes without using it, which would have cost me nearly a thousand bucks more in taxes between State and Federal with penalties of cashing it out!!!

Anyway, this boiled down to me having to do them manually....by pencil, step by step, line by line, attachment and form by form, and this was without even having to use schedule A for writeoffs! What a headache!

Only to read the damn manual direction for mailing them, where it stated that photocopies were not good, and pencil was not allowed so i had to rewrite them in ink! :(

There has to be a better way.....is all that I have left to say on this!

Care

Last edited:
Outside of the first 8 years together, I have been responsible for our taxes....and not once in the last 10 years of doing them, have I not waited till the absolute last minute, to finish them and file them...APRIL 15th, and sometimes APRIL 16the if Patriot's Day falls on the 15th.

When my husband had taken on a job, where his home base, his operation was out of our home....(considered a small business) it became real complicated and he did not have the time to do them so turbo tax for business, it was! :D And I learned a thing or two!

Now that we bought our home up here outright, the hubby is working less than 35 hours a week at a menial job for the health insurance coverage and to pay property taxes and the heating and food bill :eek:, and I am not working out of the home at all....we really can only file the short form with no deductions other than the standard deductions.

Yet, some how, STUPID Turbo tax and Taxact, even when I upgraded to their most expensive programs, could not do my taxes correctly, due to a flaw in their programs that did not have a certain form that i needed, and mentioned on line 46 or 50? of the 1040 as well.

This pissed me off....BIG TIME....because i wanted to file electronically so i could get our money back...and because turbotax and tax act did not have the provision for this form that i needed for an inheritance of an Ira that we got in 2008 from matt's dead mom, the programs could not figure my State taxes due correctly either.

I even went in to the IRS to see if they could help me, and they too were UNAWARE of this particular form and the tax advantages of using it...i found it on the irs's site, when researching beneficiaries of IRA's....but the irs office was just cluless and insisted I file my taxes without using it, which would have cost me nearly a thousand bucks more in taxes between State and Federal with penalties of cashing it out!!!

Anyway, this boiled down to me having to do them manually....by pencil, step by step, line by line, attachment and form by form, and this was without even having to use schedule A for writeoffs! What a headache!

Only to read the damn manual direction for mailing them, where it stated that photocopies were not good, and pencil was not allowed so i had to rewrite them in ink! :(

There has to be a better way.....is all that I have left to say on this!

Care

you should have rejected the TARP money. :lol:

Out of all that, only one thing stood out to me..

You tried to do your taxes (LEGAL DOCUMENTS!) in PENCIL?!

:lol::lol::lol:

Hire an accountant.

i figured it out Ravi, saved a few hundred on an accountant...but it was very frustrating that the two tax programs out there that i tried, such as turbotax and taxact, did not have the form listed on line 44(just relooked it up to see the accurate line it was on and it wasn't the numbers i listed above but line 44) of the 1040 figured in to the equation and I'd like to know why they didn't?

Does it take a peon who happens to love numbers, figure it out while the IRS themselves were clueless to it as well, and the programs out there like turbo tax missed it as well....it got me to thinking about what else out there did I miss all those years of using those programs....???

Also, what about all of those people out there, filing the short form as well, with no Schedule A's, taking the standard deductions, and not seeing all that can be taken or credited to them, even when filing in the "short" manner...because they haven't taken the time to read the fine print....like the Form 8880 available to them, which is the government matching 50% of your 401k or IRA, roth or traditional, deposits for the year, up to $2,000....or giving you a $1000 added to your basic standard deduction for the the property taxes on the home one owns and stuff like this that were not ever available to them previously, using the short form.

I happen to love the fine print....dive in to it like there is no tomorrow....as confusing as it all is to me, I pat myself on the back, when i FINALLY understand it and can figure it out! hahahahahahaha! :eek:

But SHOULD one have to go through all of this, just to get back what is rightfully yours, if they are giving a credit for it in the first place....why all the double work and my other main point is that we should not have to pay an accountant to pay our taxes...things are way too complicated....i had the time to go from one form to the next form when the booklet says "these OTHER Forms may help you" and tediously read all of there directions...and i know it sounds unreasonable to do all of this to save a few bucks, but I do have the time to do it.....and I ran multi million dollar businesses at one time, including financial/profit responsibilities FOR GOODNESS SAKES...i certainly should be able to do this...you'd think?????? :eusa_pray: praytell!

Just too bad I didn't pay attention and read the fine print on not being able to send a photocopied 1040....i thought that was just trivial stuff that i could read later! lol

Care

PS.
Dis-i had no intention of sending the penciled version, i thought a photocopy would be ok, but it wasn't....???? Weird....

I agree, it should be easier and with any luck one day the tax code will be simplified.

Hiring an accountant almost ALWAYS benefits you more than it costs you. And not just in money...just think of all the fun you missed crunching those numbers and being frustrated.

Wait a second... Didn't you vote for Obama? Can't you just delay paying your taxes indefinitely?

NO. I did not vote for Obama, nor did I vote for mccain....

There's your problem! See, I drank the Kool-Aid and voted for Obama which allowed me to avoid paying taxes indefinitely or until I join the Obama Administration. It's a great way to save money!

So did you vote for anyone for President in November? I wrote in Ron Paul's name.

We gave up on Turbo Tax a few years ago; more trouble than it was worth . . plus we didn't want to shell out any more money for taxes! I called H&R Block a few years ago to get a price. We have simple taxes, nothing fancy or complicated, and they wanted $250 to do them. Being the DIYers that we are, we rolled up our sleeves and did them ourselves.

We do ours in pencil until they are right (we always manage to get something wrong though) and keep the pencil copy as our copy. My husband filled out the local taxes in pencil, thinking he would send them in. Uh, no. Do over in pen.

Taxes are so complicated - Timmy couldn't even get it right - that I just laugh at the absurdity that people fill these out year after year and are expected to get it right. I always make notes and such, thinking next year it will be easier or less complicated or something. Wrong!

Forum List

Back