Taxation without representation

gekaap

Rookie
Jan 25, 2011
Simple question: Should residents of Washington D.C. be made exempt from federal taxation until such time as they are given proper representation in the House and Senate?

Yes, they should be exempt, because if they don't have the full rights and privilages of a US citizen then they shouldn't have to pay the full taxes like a US citizen.

If you pay federal taxes you should receive full rights and privilages under federal laws.

Simple question: Should residents of Washington D.C. be made exempt from federal taxation until such time as they are given proper representation in the House and Senate?

:eusa_think: Lack of proper representation would apply to just about all of us and it applies most certainly if your district or state is represented by a member with leadership responsibilities...

:wtf:

:dunno: Should NO one pay their taxes this year?

:eusa_think: What if we paid a percentage of our taxes, based on the aggregate polls of congressional approval?

Nope. There needs to be a separate federal territory as the seat of the federal government.

Hmm.....What about US citizens of Guam or other US. Territories? US Virgin Islands? Convicted Felons who pay taxes but do not vote?

Many people other than District citizens are denied representation but have to pay taxes.

• Banned
:eusa_think: Lack of proper representation would apply to just about all of us and it applies most certainly if your district or state is represented by a member with leadership responsibilities...

Are you trying to say that nobody in this country has an elected Representative in this country for their district, nor two senators for their state? :cuckoo:

• Banned
Nope. There needs to be a separate federal territory as the seat of the federal government.

Okay, the need for a separate territory for the capitol is one thing. But should they be taxed if they aren't given representation?

• Banned
Hmm.....What about US citizens of Guam or other US. Territories? US Virgin Islands? Convicted Felons who pay taxes but do not vote?

Many people other than District citizens are denied representation but have to pay taxes.

But none of those other groups have the cool license plates on their cars.

Do folks in DC avoid these state taxes I pay? What is their city tax burden? I really do not know.

Are you trying to say that nobody in this country has an elected Representative in this country for their district, nor two senators for their state? :cuckoo:

:eusa_shhh: No. I'm saying that successful politicians represent lots of interests, but rarely do they represent the people of their district, especially if they are in long enough to land a position of leadership.

I don't know.

I think that our government should be honest and not spend money on wasteful programs designed only to pay off the contributors to big political campaigns. Until Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor and their group arrived in DC, I was not represented.

Do I have a right to get all of my taxes back?

Do folks in DC avoid these state taxes I pay? What is their city tax burden? I really do not know.

District Of Columbia Income Tax Rates - District Of Columbia & other state tax rates information. D

Above 40k per year in DC and your "state" tax rate would be 8.5%

DC Sales Tax Rates, DC State Sales Tax Software

Their sales tax rate is a relatively low 5.75%

Not the most reliable sources but hey, better than previously listed.

State tax seems a tad high, sales tax a little lower than average. Mine by the time I get done with State, County and whatever charges is 7.55%.

I'm willing to say it is a pretty liberal idea to want to turn DC into a state. Fair enough I suppose. Even though the founding fathers obviously did not intend this I see no great evil to be done here......

You could actually get me off my duff to vote for this if you promised to combine any state with less than 1,000,000 ppl or smaller than Ohio with another state. I am a believe in forcing economy on folks. If the Governor of Rhode Island makes 100k a year that is more per resident than the Governor of a real sized state.

I'd love an amendment for this just like the Presidential power to declare war we seem to have.

I don't know.

I think that our government should be honest and not spend money on wasteful programs designed only to pay off the contributors to big political campaigns. Until Paul Ryan and Eric Cantor and their group arrived in DC, I was not represented.

Do I have a right to get all of my taxes back?

This line or reasoning implies that "representation" requires that the candidate of your personal choice be elected, which is just silly.

Forum List

Back