Taxation without Representation - is it OK? Poll

Is taxation without representation OK?

• No.

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Yes.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes but only in the District of Columbia.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't know / too long / didn't read

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Opps only for the election of President.

Amendment XXIII Essays »
Section 1

The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as Congress may direct:

A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment.
Section 2

The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Guide to the Constitution

However they have no legal right to representation since they are not a State but rather land granted to the Federal Government for the sole purpose of establishing the Seat of Government. It would be the same as claiming that residence of Federal Military bases should have separate representation in Congress.

You're not really very bright I guess.

Tell me, how many representatives in Congress did the US citizens who lived in the various territories have before they became states? Oh yes, zero.

The various territories had yet not qualified for statehood, or had not applied for statehood, like in the case of Puerto Rico.

The residents of DC have been asking for statehood for some time now, and there is no reason to disqualify them.

And, as for your "they can move to another state" suggestion, DC could just as easily be represented nationally as part of Virginia.

Of course, that would make Virginia blue as Massachusetts, LOL.

I think you mean Maryland. All of Present day DC was once part of Maryland.

I think the best way to handle it would be to return all the residential parts of DC to the state of Maryland. If Maryland doesn't want them, then they can form their own state if they wish.

It was Actually Deliberately Made up of parts of Maryland and Virginia So that no one state could ever lay claim to it.

It's Population is Larger than more than 1 US state. There is Absolutely No Reason it should not be Granted full Statehood Status.

taxation without representation happens when the person representing you does so against the interests you are in favor of. But still you have to pay taxes. taxation without representation technically happens all the time if you think about it.

That's not the definition the Founders operated on. Its one you just invented for the purposes of constructing a lame ass argument. Representation in Congress doesn't mean you get your way 100% of the time.

Mines more accurate. What percent of the time of "getting my way" is considered representation then?

Opps only for the election of President.

Amendment XXIII Essays »
Section 1

The District constituting the seat of Government of the United States shall appoint in such manner as Congress may direct:

A number of electors of President and Vice President equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives in Congress to which the District would be entitled if it were a State, but in no event more than the least populous State; they shall be in addition to those appointed by the States, but they shall be considered, for the purposes of the election of President and Vice President, to be electors appointed by a State; and they shall meet in the District and perform such duties as provided by the twelfth article of amendment.
Section 2

The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Guide to the Constitution

However they have no legal right to representation since they are not a State but rather land granted to the Federal Government for the sole purpose of establishing the Seat of Government. It would be the same as claiming that residence of Federal Military bases should have separate representation in Congress.

Exactly, just arbitrarily declare they are residents of Maryland and let them vote that way, problem solved. They would end up paying more in taxes, but that is a small price to pay to solve their problem.

Unless that really isn't their problem.

The various territories had yet not qualified for statehood, or had not applied for statehood, like in the case of Puerto Rico.

The residents of DC have been asking for statehood for some time now, and there is no reason to disqualify them.

And, as for your "they can move to another state" suggestion, DC could just as easily be represented nationally as part of Virginia.

I think the best way to handle it would be to return all the residential parts of DC to the state of Maryland. If Maryland doesn't want them, then they can form their own state if they wish.

It was Actually Deliberately Made up of parts of Maryland and Virginia So that no one state could ever lay claim to it.

It's Population is Larger than more than 1 US state. There is Absolutely No Reason it should not be Granted full Statehood Status.

How about the fact that it is actually a city, not a state?

Except it would require an amendent to the Constitution.
Of course if DC were 95% white you'd never hear people screaming for representation. Naturally DC has representation, of course.

Forum List

Back