Taxachussetts is back

but seriously going to your neighboring state to avoid paying your taxes?

seems like there were some folks griping about nominees who didn't pay their taxes too...

which is it?

is ok not to pay your taxes?

if so please tell mr. Daschle...

this is a sales tax not an income tax.

you pay sales tax in the state you buy a product, not in the state you live.

So what's next if I buy something in CT and pay their sales tax, Do I also have to pay MA sales tax if i live in MA?
they do that here in Maine
or rather they try
LOL

Sounds kinda over the top, doesn't it?

Now I've driven through New Hamspire into Mass many times and have never seen such a operation in place.

Is this some new thing that Mass is trying or something?

Now I've driven through New Hamspire into Mass many times and have never seen such a operation in place.

they've threatened to in the past. in fact, when dukakis suggested having troopers take tag numbers of mass residents in NH malls, the legendary gov. meldrim thomson said he'd have the mass staties arrested.

gotta love an old yankee loon like meldrim was. i believe he also wanted tactical nukes for the NH national guard. what a guy!

Once again if they force you to pay taxes on goods purchased in another State take it to court. The Constitution states that States may not impose import or export duties on goods unless it is to cover expenses of some specific control program and then any money collected must be handed over to the Federal Government.

Taxes are duties. Taxing goods from out of State is imposing an import duty on those goods.

Some taxes are not only needed but good. Government can not run without some form of taxation. Of course THIS is ignorant as hell. How exactly does Massachussetts claim they can tax goods bought out of State? Where is their jurisdiction for that?

I believe if one wanted to make a case of it one could argue a State does NOT have the Constitutional authority to tax goods bought IN another State. Even if they are brought to that State. The exception would be reciprocal deals like with new car taxes. Some States have deals where if you buy a new car in certain ways, like from outside the country, and pick it up in one State, you can sign a form that lets you pay the taxes in your home State rather then the receiving State. That would be Constitutional since you are paying a single tax and the agreement is between the States as to who gets the tax.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The US Government should demand any money collected in this manner be forthwith turned over to the US Treasury.

A reminder.

have you not seen or heard the massive ads the state of Maine runs every year telling you to pay your sales tax(they call it something else but i cant remember right now what it is) for your out of state purchases and online buying?

Forum List

Back