Tax the Rich? Tax the Millionaires!

Flaylo

Handsome Devil
Feb 10, 2010
In some grass near you
Paul Hogarth: Tax the Rich? Tax the Millionaires!

While President Obama capitulates to right-wing Republicans by extending tax cuts for the wealthy, some Democrats in Congress are pushing what is not only good policy -- but smarter politics. Bernie Sanders in the Senate and Jan Schakowsky in the House have sponsored legislation to raise taxes on millionaires -- rather than restoring the Clinton tax brackets for those making over $250,000. One Capitol Hill newspaper noted this deviates from where the White House currently stands, as it specifically targets the very rich. Moreover, it puts Republicans in a far more awkward position -- as they are left defending tax cuts for millionaires. There is a huge difference between rich people making $250,000 a year and those making $2 million a year, and the high upper-income tax brackets we saw in the 1930's and 1940's were likewise similarly targeted. Even in anti-tax states like California, voters have approved tax increases for millionaires -- which makes this legislation one of the most hopeful things to come out of Washington lately.

Do that shit, do that shit, do that shit, teah do that shit, lol.

No seriously, rightwingers can't defend millionaires against this when the majority of Americans, especially the middle class, are proportionally bearing a bigger brunt.

Yep, punish success. Increase the size and scope of government with nary an idea in sight to get spending under control.

Love these recycled old, demonstrably failed policies.

Millionaires grow with the stock market.

Last year the number of millionaire households in the US increased by 600,000.

Also in 2010 the US added 5,000,000 Americans to the national food stamp program.

With the stock market soaring over 100 percent from March 2009 lows, the richest 1% of the US population now controls 42% of all financial wealth.

Don't expect to hear/read these numbers in the corporate press.

The financial scam of...

With great wealth comes great responsibility.

Except here in America of late.

Everywhere is
Freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies
Tell me where is sanity
Tax the rich
Feed the poor
Till there are no
Rich no more
I'd love to change the world
But I don't know what to do
So I'll leave it up to you
Population
Keeps on breeding
Nation bleeding
Still more feeding, economy
Life is funny
Skies are sunny
Bees make honey
Who needs money, monopoly
World pollution
There's no solution
Institution
Electrocution
Just black or white
Rich or poor
Them and us
Stop the war

Last edited by a moderator:
A tangential example of right-wing hypocrisy

They agree that...

Banning same sex marriage is equal treatment because the law is applied equally to all people.

They disagree that...

Progressive taxation is equal treatment because it is applied equally to all people.

Carry on :thup:

Typical liberal bullshit.
You got it, I don't. I want it. You can't have it.
Blah blah blah.

*yawn*
The funny and ironic part is, they had from 2007-2010 absolute power to do whatever they wanted, and didn't do jack squat.

Super Majority Democrat led Congress, with two years of a Democrat President also, and yet ALL of the problems still exist, just greatly magnified! And NO complaints about that at all, from the flail-0's of the world and their ilk! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ChangeMeter.gif

While President Obama capitulates to right-wing Republicans by extending tax cuts for the wealthy, some Democrats in Congress are pushing what is not only good policy -- but smarter politics. Bernie Sanders in the Senate and Jan Schakowsky in the House have sponsored legislation to raise taxes on millionaires -- rather than restoring the Clinton tax brackets for those making over $250,000. One Capitol Hill newspaper noted this deviates from where the White House currently stands, as it specifically targets the very rich. Moreover, it puts Republicans in a far more awkward position -- as they are left defending tax cuts for millionaires. There is a huge difference between rich people making $250,000 a year and those making $2 million a year, and the high upper-income tax brackets we saw in the 1930's and 1940's were likewise similarly targeted. Even in anti-tax states like California, voters have approved tax increases for millionaires -- which makes this legislation one of the most hopeful things to come out of Washington lately.

Do that shit, do that shit, do that shit, teah do that shit, lol.

No seriously, rightwingers can't defend millionaires against this when the majority of Americans, especially the middle class, are proportionally bearing a bigger brunt.
"Until 1963, the richest Americans paid over 90% of their income in taxes -- and it wasn't until Ronald Reagan that it dipped below 70% -- which makes the Sanders-Schakowsky proposals very modest, historically speaking. But what's interesting is if you look at who paid those high tax rates, who constituted as 'rich' was well above what $250,000 will get you today.

"Until 1965, the top tax bracket was for people who made over $400,000 -- and during World War II, the 80% tax rates only affected those making over $5 million."

With great wealth comes great responsibility.

Except here in America of late.
"(Bernie) Sanders told The Hill the Obama Administration had not expressed interest in his proposal, but he was 'not surprised' about that. 'We have not heard the President has indicated that he is interested in coming up with revenue,' he said, 'just that he wants to negotiate with Republicans on spending cuts.'

"Ironically, Jan Schakowsky was an early Obama supporter in his U.S. Senate bid -- back when he was a little-known state senator.

"Not only would Obama be turning back on his old friends, but not supporting a modest tax increase on millionaires is suicidal politics."

FLUSH Obama in 2012.

Also in 2010 the US added 5,000,000 Americans to the national food stamp program.

With the stock market soaring over 100 percent from March 2009 lows, the richest 1% of the US population now controls 42% of all financial wealth.

The financial scam of...

If 600 000 households became millionaires, then why do you not find out what they are doing to achieve that success, do what it takes, and do it? Or do you expect it to magically fall into your lap?
You sure as fuck won't find it on this messageboard crying about other people succeeding.

Yep, punish success. Increase the size and scope of government with nary an idea in sight to get spending under control.

Love these recycled old, demonstrably failed policies.

Is Paris Hilton a success?
Paris Hilton is in the vast minority of the rich and you know it.

Your seething resentment is duly noted.

The financial scam of...

If 600 000 households became millionaires, then why do you not find out what they are doing to achieve that success, do what it takes, and do it? Or do you expect it to magically fall into your lap?
You sure as fuck won't find it on this messageboard crying about other people succeeding.

The stock market has grown not because of hard work on the part of 600,000 new millionaire but rather the trillions of US taxpayer dollars handed out by Republicans AND Democrats to the old millionaires who crashed the market in 2008.

You sure as fuck won't change anything by "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat in November of 2012.

The financial scam of...

Um. Don't you know the difference between Income and Net Worth?

A net worth of $1 Million is not that much, and for most people, the largest share of it is the equity in their homes, with the second largest bit being their 401Ks.

A tangential example of right-wing hypocrisy

They agree that...

Banning same sex marriage is equal treatment because the law is applied equally to all people.

They disagree that...

Progressive taxation is equal treatment because it is applied equally to all people.

Carry on :thup:

ehhhh.. wrong answer, asswipe

You see... many of us want the government out of marriage and want every person treated the same in terms of inheritance, taxation, power of attorney in emergencies, etc (you know, things government does have a right with its nose in) for any recognized family couple.... being against gay people being deemed 'married', forcing acceptance, etc is quite different....

Nice try

I don't really see what you have against wealthy people. They aren't any more evil than anyone else. Heck, many of them give more than you can possibly imagine to bless the lives of others.

Maybe if you focused on fixing the problems in your own life, and let the so called wealthy do their own things, you wouldn't be so unhappy or bitter.

Forum List

Back