Tax penalites for working/living outside of the US?

Go to whichever country you desire. But don't be too quick in denouncing your U.S. citizenship just yet. You might not like what you see nor what you might experience. You seem very young and I would not jump in with both feet. I have yet to run across anybody who has left the USA and not returned with their tail tucked between their legs. BTW, it's not a great time to be ANYTHING right now in this country. Sounds like you are in that 'woe is me' mode. You might want to take some time to grown up. Just a little advice.

I will go to a country that a future company will send me to. Once I do leave, I won't be back as I've been to many nations and I know that I will be quite happy wherever I go, If I've been there before because I will know what to expect. However, don't make assumptions about me. I'm very grown and not the "woe is me" type. If I'm really the woe is me type and I'm not grown up then I wouldn't be where I am. I would be dead.

Last edited:
Go to whichever country you desire. But don't be too quick in denouncing your U.S. citizenship just yet. You might not like what you see nor what you might experience. You seem very young and I would not jump in with both feet. I have yet to run across anybody who has left the USA and not returned with their tail tucked between their legs. BTW, it's not a great time to be ANYTHING right now in this country. Sounds like you are in that 'woe is me' mode. You might want to take some time to grown up. Just a little advice.

I will go to a country that a future company will send me to. Once I do leave, I won't be back as I've been to many nations and I know that I will be quite happy wherever I go, If I've been there before because I will know what to expect. However, don't make assumptions about me. I'm very grown and not the "woe is me" type. If I'm really the woe is me type and I'm not grown up then I wouldn't be where I am.

You do realize that the work permits provided by an employer are not permanent 'right to work' in whatever country, don't you? The work permit comes with the job... and often those permits are for a set period.... it does not guarantee a right to reside permanently in the country you're sent to. You're being incredibly naive.

I will go to a country that a future company will send me to. Once I do leave, I won't be back as I've been to many nations and I know that I will be quite happy wherever I go, If I've been there before because I will know what to expect. However, don't make assumptions about me. I'm very grown and not the "woe is me" type. If I'm really the woe is me type and I'm not grown up then I wouldn't be where I am.

You do realize that the work permits provided by an employer are not permanent 'right to work' in whatever country, don't you? The work permit comes with the job... and often those permits are for a set period.... it does not guarantee a right to reside permanently in the country you're sent to. You're being incredibly naive.

Yes, obviously a Work permit is just what it says a work permit. Obviously, a work permit does not grant you residency. However, you have to be granted it from the home office through recommendation of the employer. I don't know if you live in the UK but I was referring specifically towards the UK for that example. If they accept you they will work with the Home Office in order to get you a residency permit (would be a Tier 2 for me) as it would be sponsored by the employer. They would also state why the job couldn't be filled by a British subject then the work permit and residency can be acquired at the same time or within the allowed tourist time frame in the UK before you are required to have some kind of visa to stay. If I'm being incredibly naive then tell those British company representatives (who were English) who told me this exact thing and I confirmed it with personal research.

Last edited:

Yes, obviously Work permit is just what it says a work permit. Obviously, a work permit does not grant you residency. However, you have to be granted it from the home office through recommendation of the employer. I was referring specifically towards the UK for that example. If they accept you they will also get you a residency permit (would be a Tier 2 for me) as it would be sponsored by the employer. They would also state why the job couldn't be filled by a British subject then the work permit and residency can be acquired at the same time or within the allowed tourist time frame in the UK before you are required to have some kind of visa to stay. If I'm being incredibly naive then tell those British company representatives (who were English) who told me this exact thing and I confirmed it with personal research.

No, you don't 'have' to. There are various types of permits... for example, I have 'UK residency' status. Means I can stay here for as long as I want. I'm also allowed - through that residency - to live in any country in Europe. It's a residency status, nor a work permit. You seem to be confusing a work permit and a residency stamp. A job specific work permit does not grant you permanent right to live in that country. It's a work permit - and they often only last for 1 to 5 years - depending on the job. Why would you give up your citizenship for that? It's nonsense. You're talking gibberish.

I'm telling you.... 100%... that your citizenship is inconsequential to anything. I am struggling to understand why you think it's relevant. It's not.

Yes, obviously Work permit is just what it says a work permit. Obviously, a work permit does not grant you residency. However, you have to be granted it from the home office through recommendation of the employer. I was referring specifically towards the UK for that example. If they accept you they will also get you a residency permit (would be a Tier 2 for me) as it would be sponsored by the employer. They would also state why the job couldn't be filled by a British subject then the work permit and residency can be acquired at the same time or within the allowed tourist time frame in the UK before you are required to have some kind of visa to stay. If I'm being incredibly naive then tell those British company representatives (who were English) who told me this exact thing and I confirmed it with personal research.

No, you don't 'have' to. There are various types of permits... for example, I have 'UK residency' status. Means I can stay here for as long as I want. I'm also allowed - through that residency - to live in any country in Europe. It's a residency status, nor a work permit. You seem to be confusing a work permit and a residency stamp. A job specific work permit does not grant you permanent right to live in that country. It's a work permit - and they often only last for 1 to 5 years - depending on the job. Why would you give up your citizenship for that? It's nonsense. You're talking gibberish.

I'm telling you.... 100%... that your citizenship is inconsequential to anything. I am struggling to understand why you think it's relevant. It's not.

I'm not confusing them. I was saying that I was told that you are get your work permit. You will also need to be permitted for residency because you obviously will be living there. I've never said that they are dependent on each other nor do I think that. I was asking if my citizenship had any relevance. I'm not saying it ever did. It was a question. You are over-analyzing my questions. If it isn't relevant then it's fine. I can just keep it and let it rot. It's not like I will do anything with it.

Thanks for explaining some things to me. No matter how rude you may come out. I'm a big boy and it takes a lot more than an internet post to offend me. Again, you keep saying I'm talking gibberish but I'm telling you the very things I was told unless this born and bred Englishman who worked in the field for many years is wrong according to an American. I'm not trying to be rude but I don't see how you can call that person wrong.

I will be finishing school soon and I will be looking for a job with a company to live and work in Europe. I want to go to Europe (or Asia or Australia) because I want to experience new things and live life somewhere else. Once I get my ideal job, I plan on staying there until the day I die without ever stepping foot back into the US. I just wanted to know how much in taxes would the US Government take from me.

I'm also bouncing around the idea of renouncing my US Citizenship. I don't feel American at all. I don't even tell foreigners that I'm American when I travel (they probably can tell from the accent). I just feel that I just happened to be born in the US. Yes, my family has been here for who knows how long. Then with the whole Trayvon Martin case. It's not a great time to be an African-American (well I'm Black and White but I consider myself as only Black) in the US but then again when was it ever. I would go ahead and take that step but I'm also weighing mainly the tax penalties for it. Now, obviously I will make sure to stay in my country long enough to get citizenship somewhere then renounce my American one.

Firstly, one cannot just go to whichever country one desires. It is ridiculous to think that he can.

Secondly..... and this may come as a shock to you and to the OP.... but... most countries are struggling with high unemployment right now. We're not the only country that's in the shit.

He can try. So no, it's not really that ridiculous. It's really not up to you, now is it? Yes, most countries ARE struggling with high unemployment - but - when has THAT stopped anybody from TRYING to go where they desire???? Besides, all this might be a moot point or maybe just someone with a 'dream'. Thirdly - nothing really shocks me anymore. Nice try tho.

Forum List

Back