Tax increases; Unemployment; Benefits; Welfare; Politics........

Just returned from a not so wonderful trip to Atlanta. Went to watch SEC champ game, wasn't a good game. Was very cold outside. Thought global warming was supposed to fix that. Anyway......

While there I visited an old aquaintance. As I said, I worked as a police ofc at APD years ago. Had a store owner near Jonesboro who I became friends with, mostly after responding to calls in the area, and his store's coffee was always fresh.

Anyway, I went in to say hi, and he was working the cash register. Which was odd:eusa_eh:

A brief history.....he usually employs 10-15 part timers. He offers them 40 hours, but none take it. I asked him why? He said none want full time w/ benefits, b/c if they did, they'd be booted off welfare, food stamps, free housing and free healthcare from gov't. BUT they needed to show social services an attempt at employment, so 1-2 shifts a week is all they wanted. Go figure.

So I said "Hey, why are you on the register? An employee quit?"

And he said "Yeah, they always do, just this time I haven't hired replacements." I asked why not, since he has to work the shift himself now? "Because man, my taxes might be getting jacked up in January. Gotta wait and see if I can afford it."

And there you have it. He is a private owner of this business (a gas station/restaurant type biz). He lives comfortably. Not a millionaire. But he owns a boat and a couple cars, has a nice family he speaks of. He could hire that employee, and if taxes go up, just sell a boat or car to make it equal. But he won't.

And meanwhile, more employees will bitch about benefits the gov't wont give them......while refusing to work 40 hours delivering pizzas or any other job that is available, but just dont feel like doing.

working 40 hours doesn't get you "booted off welfare, food stamps, free housing....". In fact, in most states failing to meet the work requirement will lead to you losing some benefits.

But hey, if the story makes you feel good...

Um....yeah dude, it does. If a person in Georgia works 40 hours a week, gets benefits, they'll be booted off their entitlements. Maybe not entirely, depending on a case by case as far as # of children, hardships, etc.

Well then GA is one fucked-up state. You should consider moving. In my state - and most others - there is a work requirement of (typically) 32 hours. Failure to meet that requirement leads to a loss of benefits. GA is apparently far too liberal with the way they dole out your money, and they are probably needing to self-fund a portion of such generosity.

And there is a work requirement to get it. Thats why he can only seem to get a handful of 10-15 employees who all want only 1-2 shifts a week, but can't get full timers. They are trying to meet their work req, in order to keep welfare, food stamps, free housing, medicare, etc.

No state has a work requirement of 1-2 shifts per week. That's pure folly. Even the most liberal states have a work requirement of 20 hours per week, and that's for mothers with children who can only work when the child is at school or in daycare.

Just returned from a not so wonderful trip to Atlanta. Went to watch SEC champ game, wasn't a good game. Was very cold outside. Thought global warming was supposed to fix that. Anyway......

While there I visited an old aquaintance. As I said, I worked as a police ofc at APD years ago. Had a store owner near Jonesboro who I became friends with, mostly after responding to calls in the area, and his store's coffee was always fresh.

Anyway, I went in to say hi, and he was working the cash register. Which was odd:eusa_eh:

A brief history.....he usually employs 10-15 part timers. He offers them 40 hours, but none take it. I asked him why? He said none want full time w/ benefits, b/c if they did, they'd be booted off welfare, food stamps, free housing and free healthcare from gov't. BUT they needed to show social services an attempt at employment, so 1-2 shifts a week is all they wanted. Go figure.

And he said "Yeah, they always do, just this time I haven't hired replacements." I asked why not, since he has to work the shift himself now? "Because man, my taxes might be getting jacked up in January. Gotta wait and see if I can afford it."

And there you have it. He is a private owner of this business (a gas station/restaurant type biz). He lives comfortably. Not a millionaire. But he owns a boat and a couple cars, has a nice family he speaks of. He could hire that employee, and if taxes go up, just sell a boat or car to make it equal. But he won't.

And meanwhile, more employees will bitch about benefits the gov't wont give them......while refusing to work 40 hours delivering pizzas or any other job that is available, but just dont feel like doing.

ROFLMAO!!!!!

I just love these undocumented fairy tales, don't you?

I know a guy....................................

If true, employing 10-15 part-timers to work 1-2 shifts per week doesn't seem like sound business sense, as they would be robbing him blind!

I understand where they are coming from. Get free medical care food stamps, etc. Or work a min wage no benefits job and lose that. Try to buy healthcare for your kids on minimum wage.

It is just a money decision just like businesses make.
but somehow it is wrong when individuals do it?
I see few businesses turning free govt money.

I know people where one spouse drives a school bus just for the health care benefits.
The first priority of a parent is to take care of their family, however they can.

Last edited:

Looks like the 99ers were left out in the new deal Obama just announced.....'bout time....

(This is the biggest crap of shit I have ever heard of. You are one slimy piece of shit if you think anyone with half a brain would believe this crap, but of course you have idiots on the right, so maybe I am wrong.)

And meanwhile, more employees will bitch about benefits the govt wont give them......while refusing to work 40 hours delivering pizzas or any other job that is available, but just dint feel like doing.

"A married person with children couldn't live on Min. wage that these places pay and that is why 90% of the people who work there are HS students or married people who are trying to supplement their family's income. I have never seen any gas station convenience store offer health ins, esp since the average cost of family health ins is around 6.00/800.00 a month. This would add 5.00 an hr to the wage being paid. Next you will say they get free meals and cheap gas.

And unless he is making over 250,000 take home his taxes wouldn't be effected, and the only effect would be that money he makes over 250,000 at 4%. so if he makes 400,000 it would cost him 6000.00, less than what you claim he would be paying for health insurance for his full time employee.

Other words your full of SHIT.

But now that he will be getting this windfall, I'm sure he will be able to hire 5 people who used to work these hrs again.

I Know several people who own several convince stores and both me and my wife have worked in places like these and I will tell you right now that few people ever were employed full time except the managers. otherwise you :eusa_liar:

I don't believe this story at all.

You don't? Why not? Which part? The flying attack dinosaurs? The alien invaders? The sports team what went 500-0 in 50 years? The 43 supermodels I took home?

OH......no, not that kind of stuff.

You don't believe the part about a guy who owns a small business, who is waiting until after Jan 1 to hire b/c he's not sure what the tax rates will be?

Yeah. Thats SO unbelievable!!!! Or maybe you dont believe the part about a white cop years ago befriending a black store owner in Jonesboro, GA, right???

Curious to see which part of this modest, but often common, story I shared about my trip to Atlanta. It's SO far fetched, right?

Yes it is far fetched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(But an employee working for this guy would prob make $25-28 a year, and he offers employee health insurance. But few would take it. B/c thats enough in most states to get your benefits from Big Daddy Gov't removed, as that person is now self-sufficient.)

That would be 13.00 to 15.00 dollars an hr plus benefits of health and vacation. so your telling me a that hes willing to pay 17.00 to 20.00 dollars an hr for a full time worker, LOL yes I'm telling you YOUR FULL OF SHIT.

There are many families that had two people working that one got laid off, so I'm telling you right now that many of these second jobs that were laid off now would be very happy to get 25/28,000 a year job with health benefits and even work full time like they were before they lost their jobs.

and since the poverty level for a family of 4 is a lot higher than this, and since the person working who has children would have to get someone to care for their kids, do you think they could run a family on this wage, even when it's more likely half of what you saying.

You and fox new along with people like Rush, Beck and Hanity should be made to try to live this great life you talk about. I dare you ass WHOLE.

Yeah it's the slimy fucking poor people that causes you all your problems, what a joke you people are.

Why don't people that are unemployed go to the Dept. of labor and ask the unemployed for jobs....It seems those on the left don't believe for a minute that the producers in this country create any jobs at all so let's go to the unemployed or those that if they are working earn 50k or less and ask them for a job....

You guys can get back to me when someone was hired under my criteria....You know where you can find me I'm always around....Oh and good luck job seekers.

I don't believe this story at all.

You don't? Why not? Which part? The flying attack dinosaurs? The alien invaders? The sports team what went 500-0 in 50 years? The 43 supermodels I took home?

OH......no, not that kind of stuff.

You don't believe the part about a guy who owns a small business, who is waiting until after Jan 1 to hire b/c he's not sure what the tax rates will be?

Yeah. Thats SO unbelievable!!!! Or maybe you dont believe the part about a white cop years ago befriending a black store owner in Jonesboro, GA, right???

Curious to see which part of this modest, but often common, story I shared about my trip to Atlanta. It's SO far fetched, right?

I don't believe it because I've seen the same story posted by other people on other messageboards.

That's why.

All credibility is shot when you actually lead off with a statement like this. Seriously?:confused:

Whose credibility? Mine? Or the left wing nuts who in 2004 said I'd be dead in global warming heat waves by 2010?

Oh well. Guess the moral of the story was impossible to negate. Raising taxes, on anyone, will cause only 2 things:

1- Less people being hired
2- More $$$ flowing into the government

Another dumb fuck that likes to make up nonsense.

Forum List

Back