Tax dollars being spent to condemn free speech

Human lives > "Principles".

I'm completely in favor of unregulated free speech, and I don't think there should be any laws restricting it - but there's no reason why the State Dept. shouldn't have the same freedom of speech to denounce the film.

becasue its just driving the meme that the video was the driving force, and some video speaks for us all via collective guilt mewling, and we ostensibly agree its worth using our highest offices to denigrate, that just feeds their angst imho.

Here's the thing.

The video didn't cause the attacks on the embassies - but that doesn't mean that the video hasn't "outraged" millions of people.

I see no reason that the State Dept. shouldn't publicly state that we as a country don't stand behind the film.

This isn't about "principles". This is about diplomacy.
Because a statement like that stops short of what our government should be saying.

They can say that they do not stand behind this film, but that the values of America are such that the people who made these films have the right to do so without fear of persecution from the US Government.

If the government is going to make a principled stand, it should make a full one, and that means they take a stand first, and foremost, on the rights of the citizens over the outrage of the rest of the world.

Am I the only one that is noticing how stupid the arguments attempting to defend this are? Can anyone point out where I said anything about not being able to criticize?

What is obama to condemn movie for 1000 alex...

Fucking retard

Feel free to point out how the government is equal to Obama. I think that makes the problem here with your programming not being able to comprehend the fact that the US government is not a dictatorship, even if you prefer it that way.

Oh good so then concede Obama isn't to blame for the economy, gas prices, etc etc, because hey this isnt a dictatorship according to you.

Anyways i see you are still stuck on very stupid today.

Obama is the head of our government, or the "face" of it while being president. So in otherwords yes he is our government in a sense. When he speaks, he speaks for the nation. This is what happens when we elect people to, you know, represent us in the world.

I swear you are one dumb shit who tries to just twist words in order to not get pinned down by your own words.

The United States has never believed that religious tolerance means that we cannot denigrate the beliefs of others.

Weren't you just stating the difference between the Government and the We People. So why shouldn't the government let it be known that it was just some asshole who produced that dubbed over nonsense film and it was not the position of the governement.

I would have no porblem with the government saying that. That, however, is not what they are saying, is it?

well yeah when you condemn something, thats what you are doing.

What is obama to condemn movie for 1000 alex...

Fucking retard

Feel free to point out how the government is equal to Obama. I think that makes the problem here with your programming not being able to comprehend the fact that the US government is not a dictatorship, even if you prefer it that way.

Oh good so then concede Obama isn't to blame for the economy, gas prices, etc etc, because hey this isnt a dictatorship according to you.

Anyways i see you are still stuck on very stupid today.

Obama is the head of our government, or the "face" of it while being president. So in otherwords yes he is our government in a sense. When he speaks, he speaks for the nation. This is what happens when we elect people to, you know, represent us in the world.

I swear you are one dumb shit who tries to just twist words in order to not get pinned down by your own words.

We are talking about the government not taking sides in a discussion about religion, not the economy.

Weren't you just stating the difference between the Government and the We People. So why shouldn't the government let it be known that it was just some asshole who produced that dubbed over nonsense film and it was not the position of the governement.

I would have no porblem with the government saying that. That, however, is not what they are saying, is it?

That doesn't even make sense.

Damn, the NYT, and Salmon Rusdie, agrees with me.

It’s not for the American government to regret what American citizens do. They should just say, ‘This is not our affair and the [violent] response is completely inappropriate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/opinion/keller-the-satanic-video.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

By your logic, assuming you agree with the quote above,

it is inappropriate for the president to condemn the actions of, for example, the guy who shot Gabby Giffords, and the rest of those people.

That doesn't even make sense.

Just because someone condemns the content of a free speech exercise, just because they vilify it, label it offensive, etc.,

doesn't mean they're doing all that against the right of free speech.

Damn, the NYT, and Salmon Rusdie, agrees with me.

It’s not for the American government to regret what American citizens do. They should just say, ‘This is not our affair and the [violent] response is completely inappropriate.
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/24/opinion/keller-the-satanic-video.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

By your logic, assuming you agree with the quote above,

it is inappropriate for the president to condemn the actions of, for example, the guy who shot Gabby Giffords, and the rest of those people.

Do you have any idea how stupid you are?

You just said rights DON"T come from the government. Which is it?

Natural rights do not come from the government. Unless you can show me examples of voting among fish I am going to stick with my assessment that the right to vote comes from the government.

And the right to bear arms? You skipped that one.

I can show you videos of chimpanzees using clubs to fight, can you show me videos of fish voting?

Forum List

Back