Tax cuts are theft

No actually society actually does give us almost everything. Without the blessings of society the most you would be able to accomplish is to eek out a scant survival on a diet of bark, grubs and carrion eventually succumbing to malnutrition, disease and to the elements.

It has been this way since the cave, individually humans can barely manage to survive. But as a group we can accomplish great things.

You and your skills and efforts account for very little of your prosperity while society accounts for most of it.

Them's the facts. And government is just an agency of society. Even the economy is just an agency of society. As is education, medicine etc.

Society is a collection of individuals. Much of what this society has accomplished was based upon the acts of individuals. Society has given us all of this today because of the deeds and ideas of individuals in the past. It is the acceptance of ideas and creation of institutions by individuals that has allowed us to build this society and the infrastructure around it.

Society is a collection of individuals.

True.

Much of what this society has accomplished was based upon the acts of individuals.

still true but that doesn't mean anything. Much of what society has accomplished was based on access to water and oxygen, and a perfect planet, ripe with relatively free resources....But none of those accomplishments were ever realized after billions of years until Mankind blossomed into a social creature capable of more than just hunting and gathering.

Society is the catalyst responsible for everything from agriculture to rocket science.

Society has given us all of this today because of the deeds and ideas of individuals in the past.

exactly, the blessings of society are cumulative whereas the accomplishments of individuals without society are not.

It is the acceptance of ideas and creation of institutions by individuals that has allowed us to build this society and the infrastructure around it.

You are trying to agree with me aren't you?

Alone we can barely survive at all. In legion we can accomplish miracles.

The fruits of society really are the property of everybody, not just those who can most capitalize on them today. And in fact in our society the poorest of the poor are still far better off than they would be alone, in the wilderness, seeking berries and acorns.

That is because society raises all boats, but not equally.

The Bushies apparently thought it was a good way to help keep AIDS from spreading.
Really? I thought they figured a better way was for people not to engage in risky behaviors.
You 'thought'? Read the article and the links and then you will know. I even bolded it:

In fact, the NIH grant, which will "establish and evaluate whether an alcohol and HIV intervention center can assist in reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS among sex workers in China," was awarded during the Bush administration

I know you're desperate for me to say, "Oh, Bush did it? Well, that's okay, then."

Not gonna happen. You see, unlike you, I'm capable of criticizing those on my side.

Bush was dumb to spend that money.

The difference being that the teapartiers actually are asserting that extending the tax breaks will reduce the deficit.
And they will, if the government doesn't immediately spend even more than the increased revenue, like they did with Bush's tax cuts.

there isn't gonna be any increased revenue! Revenues under lower tax rates only rise if incomes increase. That won't happen soon no matter what.
They will if government stops fucking with the economy. But that's going to happen soon, either.

And they will, if the government doesn't immediately spend even more than the increased revenue, like they did with Bush's tax cuts.

there isn't gonna be any increased revenue! Revenues under lower tax rates only rise if incomes increase. That won't happen soon no matter what.
They will if government stops fucking with the economy. But that's going to happen soon, either.

You are dreaming.

No matter what tax rate we apply there will be no increase in wages soon. Esp considering unemployment.

Do you really believe the shit you post?

I think you are really reaching here... Tax cuts are theft? Get real. I think you could benefit from medication.

Well, to be accurate, tax cuts could be theft if one believes that individuals are the property of the state, all of their productive output belongs to the state, and whatever the state allows a person to keep is a gift of the state.

A beneficial cycle: We invest in infrastructure and public structures that create the conditions for enterprise to form and prosper. We prepare the ground for business to thrive. When enterprise prospers we share the bounty, with good wages and benefits for the people who work in the businesses and taxes that provide for the general welfare and for reinvestment in the infrastructure and public structures that keep the system going.

We fought hard to develop this system and it worked for us. We, the People fought and built our government to empower and protect us providing social services for the general welfare. We, through our government built up infrastructure and public structures like courts, laws, schools, roads, bridges. That investment creates the conditions that enable commerce to prosper – the bounty of democracy. In return we ask those who benefit most from the enterprise we enabled to share the return on our investment with all of us – through good wages, benefits and taxes.

But the “Reagan Revolution” broke the contract. Since Reagan the system is working like this:

virtual_cycle_diverted

Since the Reagan Revolution with its tax cuts for the rich, its anti-government policies, and its deregulation of the big corporations our democracy is increasingly defunded (and that was the plan), infrastructure is crumbling, our schools are falling behind, factories and supply chains are being dismantled, those still at work are working longer hours for fewer benefits and falling wages, our pensions are gone, wealth and income are increasing concentrating at the very top, our country is declining.

This is the Reagan Revolution home to roost: the social contract is broken. Instead of providing good wages and benefits and paying taxes to provide for the general welfare and reinvestment in infrastructure and public structures, the bounty of our democracy is being diverted to a wealthy few.

We, the People built this country’s prosperity and this built wealth. We reinvested that wealth, building the world’s most competitive economy. Now a few people are gaming the system and breaking the formula, taking for themselves vast riches, leaving the rest of us to clean up the mess.

We must recognize and understand these tax cuts for what they are. They are a broken contract. These tax cuts for the wealthy are theft.

here is a link to the actual OP:

Seeing the Forest: Tax Cuts Are Theft

Really? I thought they figured a better way was for people not to engage in risky behaviors.
You 'thought'? Read the article and the links and then you will know. I even bolded it:

In fact, the NIH grant, which will "establish and evaluate whether an alcohol and HIV intervention center can assist in reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS among sex workers in China," was awarded during the Bush administration

I know you're desperate for me to say, "Oh, Bush did it? Well, that's okay, then."

There's your need for validation again. You obviously wish for me to give a shit. I'm sorry.

Not gonna happen. You see, unlike you, I'm capable of criticizing those on my side.

Capable maybe, but not willing.

The blind squirrel finds his nuts.

You are dreaming.

No matter what tax rate we apply there will be no increase in wages soon. Esp considering unemployment.

Do you really believe the shit you post?
I understand you're bitter that not everyone shares your delusion.

Oh, well.

There's your need for validation again. You obviously wish for me to give a shit. I'm sorry.
Awww...somebody's mad because I saw through his pathetic plan. :lol:

Capable maybe, but not willing.
Horseshit. Not my fault you don't pay attention.

The blind squirrel finds his nuts.
You pretend like this is the first time I've criticized anyone on the right...but you're wrong.

Meanwhile, except for one lame instance that wasn't really criticism at all and only came about because you were being browbeaten, you are incapable of criticizing anyone on your side.

Sheep.

Society is a collection of individuals.

True.

Much of what this society has accomplished was based upon the acts of individuals.

still true but that doesn't mean anything. Much of what society has accomplished was based on access to water and oxygen, and a perfect planet, ripe with relatively free resources....But none of those accomplishments were ever realized after billions of years until Mankind blossomed into a social creature capable of more than just hunting and gathering.

Society is the catalyst responsible for everything from agriculture to rocket science.

Society has given us all of this today because of the deeds and ideas of individuals in the past.

exactly, the blessings of society are cumulative whereas the accomplishments of individuals without society are not.

It is the acceptance of ideas and creation of institutions by individuals that has allowed us to build this society and the infrastructure around it.

You are trying to agree with me aren't you?

Alone we can barely survive at all. In legion we can accomplish miracles.

The fruits of society really are the property of everybody, not just those who can most capitalize on them today. And in fact in our society the poorest of the poor are still far better off than they would be alone, in the wilderness, seeking berries and acorns.

That is because society raises all boats, but not equally.

I agree that everything an individual accomplishes is not based solely on what an individual does. There is a significant amount of randomness that affects our lives. The difference between working really hard, being intelligent and owning a BMW and working really hard, being intelligent and owning a Lear jet is often luck.

Having said that, being very lazy and dumb is often not a road to riches. (Unless you are on a reality TV show in New Jersey.) The road to a good life is paved on individual initiative and effort. If you do nothing, you starve. It doesn't matter how wealthy society is.

A beneficial cycle: We invest in infrastructure and public structures that create the conditions for enterprise to form and prosper. We prepare the ground for business to thrive. When enterprise prospers we share the bounty, with good wages and benefits for the people who work in the businesses and taxes that provide for the general welfare and for reinvestment in the infrastructure and public structures that keep the system going.

We fought hard to develop this system and it worked for us. We, the People fought and built our government to empower and protect us providing social services for the general welfare. We, through our government built up infrastructure and public structures like courts, laws, schools, roads, bridges. That investment creates the conditions that enable commerce to prosper – the bounty of democracy. In return we ask those who benefit most from the enterprise we enabled to share the return on our investment with all of us – through good wages, benefits and taxes.

But the “Reagan Revolution” broke the contract. Since Reagan the system is working like this:

virtual_cycle_diverted

Since the Reagan Revolution with its tax cuts for the rich, its anti-government policies, and its deregulation of the big corporations our democracy is increasingly defunded (and that was the plan), infrastructure is crumbling, our schools are falling behind, factories and supply chains are being dismantled, those still at work are working longer hours for fewer benefits and falling wages, our pensions are gone, wealth and income are increasing concentrating at the very top, our country is declining.

This is the Reagan Revolution home to roost: the social contract is broken. Instead of providing good wages and benefits and paying taxes to provide for the general welfare and reinvestment in infrastructure and public structures, the bounty of our democracy is being diverted to a wealthy few.

We, the People built this country’s prosperity and this built wealth. We reinvested that wealth, building the world’s most competitive economy. Now a few people are gaming the system and breaking the formula, taking for themselves vast riches, leaving the rest of us to clean up the mess.

We must recognize and understand these tax cuts for what they are. They are a broken contract. These tax cuts for the wealthy are theft.

The problem with this thesis is that the term "theft" confers ownership. (Almost) All taxes arise from labour. Society does not own anyone's labour. If the collective owned the labour of the individual, then the collective could dictate to the individual what that individual will work on. Clearly, that is not the case. Society recognizes that the labour of the individual is his or her own. Society taxes the income from that labour for a number of reasons, but society rightfully recognizes the inherent right of the individual to expend his or her labour anyway the individual pleases.

virtual_cycle_diverted

The problem with this thesis is that the term "theft" confers ownership. (Almost) All taxes arise from labour. Society does not own anyone's labour. If the collective owned the labour of the individual, then the collective could dictate to the individual what that individual will work on. Clearly, that is not the case. Society recognizes that the labour of the individual is his or her own. Society taxes the income from that labour for a number of reasons, but society rightfully recognizes the inherent right of the individual to expend his or her labour anyway the individual pleases.

First off I just quoted the OP's article.

Second your argument defies itself. The article never claimed that society owns anybody's labor, yours or anybody else's, it claimed that those who benefited most from the social contract owed it to society to give the most back.

Which you yourself acknowledged when you said "Society taxes the income from that labour for a number of reasons".

But everything else you said was a straw man, unless your own recognition that society has a right to tax income represents a claim to the individual's labor.

Are you saying nothing at all, or are you saying that society has no right to assess taxes on income?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back