3. Wyoming
4. Nevada
5. Florida

46. Ohio
47. Connecticut
48. New Jersey
49. California
50. New York

I was surprised that Alabama was ranked 28, Arizona 34, Arkansas 39 and North Carolina 41, generally conservative states. I was also surprised that Washington was 9 and Oregon 11, both generally liberal states. Hawaii at 22 and Michigan at 17 ranked higher than I would have thought.

New York has become a horrendous place to live. I will address this in the future.

-SporK

The least populated states get the greatest proportional share of representation in congress.

State population rankings
California 1
Texas 2
New York 3
Florida 4
Illinois 5

South Dakota 46
North Dakota 47
Alaska 48
Vermont 49
Wyoming 50

New York is the center of the universe. It has the best of everything.

So naturally, it costs more to live here.

And as the song says, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere."

NY, CA, IL and MI are basically toast. FL and TX are the major obvious beneficiaries of this situation. CO and probably WA are the most likely runners up with the caveat that their taxes could cripple them and create other less likely runners up.

Oregon has limits on property taxes and no sales tax.
Washington has no income tax. The sales
California has limits on property taxes and really insane income and sales taxes. I don't believe California is sustainable.

I am surprised Oregon comes in at 11. Oregon's income tax is pretty flat at 11%. (In theory there are two rates, but in the 70's everyone not 30% below the poverty level fell into the higher rate. Which up until last year was at 9%

many states have liquor monopolies. In Washington it wouldn't matter much, because there are reservations near most population centers. And Reservations are exempt from that kind of thing.

Oregon used to have the same system, but some sort of scandal erupted in the way they were managed in the early 80s when I was living in CA. Now they are all private.

New York is the center of the universe. It has the best of everything.

So naturally, it costs more to live here.

And as the song says, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere."

Oregon has limits on property taxes and no sales tax.
Washington has no income tax. The sales
California has limits on property taxes and really insane income and sales taxes. I don't believe California is sustainable.

I am surprised Oregon comes in at 11. Oregon's income tax is pretty flat at 11%. (In theory there are two rates, but in the 70's everyone not 30% below the poverty level fell into the higher rate. Which up until last year was at 9%

I suspect Washington is deceptively low, as they're a state that runs a gubmint monopoly on liquor sales...Their booze prices are absurdly expensive, BTW.

Did y'all miss that the OP was about Business taxes? Doesn't tell us anything about property, sales, income etc taxes. What y'all are saying might be true, but it has nothing to do with the OP.

I suspect Washington is deceptively low, as they're a state that runs a gubmint monopoly on liquor sales...Their booze prices are absurdly expensive, BTW.

Actually they are not! ;)

And the prices hardly every go up. A Half rack of beer is $4.00 more than when I was 21, a pint of vodka is $.15 more than when I was 21. Liquor stores also have a 95% success rate when it comes to carding minors, while privately owned stores are at about 40 % or something.

If you go to Idaho, liquor is about the same price as in Washington. ;)

many states have liquor monopolies. In Washington it wouldn't matter much, because there are reservations near most population centers. And Reservations are exempt from that kind of thing.

You can't buy liquor on most reservations in Washington State. ;)

And the prices hardly every go up. A Half rack of beer is $4.00 more than when I was 21, a pint of vodka is $.15 more than when I was 21. Liquor stores also have a 95% success rate when it comes to carding minors, while privately owned stores are at about 40 % or something.

Yeah, I know...Idaho runs a state racket, too...As does Utah.

I just bought a 1.75 bottle of Cuervo for <$25.00, at a Vons in Upland, CA...That same bottle runs in excess of $40.00 in Washington.

The least populated states get the greatest proportional share of representation in congress.

California 1
Texas 2
New York 3
Florida 4
Illinois 5

South Dakota 46
North Dakota 47
Alaska 48
Vermont 49
Wyoming 50

You mean the Senate.

Congress is a bicameral legislative body that includes the senate. So yes, I mean in Congress, because of the allotment of 2 senators/state.

California 1
Texas 2
New York 3
Florida 4
Illinois 5

South Dakota 46
North Dakota 47
Alaska 48
Vermont 49
Wyoming 50

You mean the Senate.

Congress is a bicameral legislative body that includes the senate. So yes, I mean in Congress, because of the allotment of 2 senators/state.

That's the one of the few reasons for the states to tolerate the Federal government.

Yeah, I know...Idaho runs a state racket, too...As does Utah.

I just bought a 1.75 bottle of Cuervo for <$25.00, at a Vons in Upland, CA...That same bottle runs in excess of $40.00 in Washington.
You might be thinking Seattle, because that is about what it is here. ;) For one i know a 5th is only about $15.00. Next time I am at the liquor store I will take a pic for ya!
I have paid more for Jack in Wyoming, then I did here. Plus you don't have to pay sale's tax.;)

Forum List

Back